• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

how is key west looking right now? in terms of on the cameras?
TatteredWealthyIsabellineshrike-size_restricted.gif

Isn't Cuba a no-fly over zone for the US airlines? I could be wrong
No, US airlines can actually land on Cuba these days.

What causes the turn, and not continue into the Gulf? Water temperature?

Upper air currents like the jet stream, as well as pressure variations like high pressure systems and low pressure troughs.

Basically, hurricanes always want to go toward the poles. However, high pressure ridges in the Atlantic (namely the Azores/Bermuda high) are too strong for the low pressure system to punch through, so it travels around the outside of the ridge until it finds a point of weakness where it can break through and start heading toward the north. That's why so many of these systems curve.

In Irma's case, this appears to be a low pressure trough in the upper atmosphere, pushing down into the Gulf between two high pressure systems.

In Jose's case, it's trapped between Irma in the west and the same Azores/Bermuda high to the north, without any upper atmosphere steering currents to bail it out, so that's why they're expecting it to get stuck and loop. Essentially, Jose is just trying to find a way through and can't.

Marco Island Update: Expecting 9' ABOVE ROADS of storm surge. South water plant to be shut down, with reduced capacity and remote control, at least until the storm knocks out SCADA.

We're in the final hours of business as usual, and preparing to go into hardened mode to wait for Irma to get here.

Vestal

FYI..

I am in Palm Harbor here in Pinellas Country.. I will stay on and report what I see as long as power and internet allow me.

Currently finishing boarding up the house and ready to hunker down.. Got all the necessities including beer. Thankfully in a non flood zone, but FUCK MY HOA and not taking care of the trees around here. 2 dead trees for a few months now and nothing. Right now that is our main concern. If she gets up to CAT5 again we have a shelter close by we are going to move to.

Wish me luck GAF!!

Briarios

lol the new track has it going directly over my house -- like the track literally covers my home. It's gonna be a fun night tomorrow, that's for sure.

Briarios

They're open up until 5pm tomorrow.

Don't necessarily trust that -- if it's open, go now. Publix here in Tampa had huge signs that said they would be open to 6pm today, I showed up at 12:15pm and they had closed at 12pm. It's ok; I'm glad the employees are getting to safety and are preparing their homes, but don't trust the times -- they can change based on conditions.

Top Bottom