• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

chekhonte

So presuming that this storm will be devastating to property will hurricane/flood insurance even pay out or will they buckle?

I have no idea how this works and what might be in my mom's future if her home is destroyed.

I know we are focusing on Florida and Irma but CNN has a atmospheric pressure explanation that made it look like Jose could be forced into New England coast. What is the projections for Jose?

So presuming that this storm will be devastating to property will hurricane/flood insurance even pay out or will they buckle?

I have no idea how this works and what might be in my mom's future if her home is destroyed.

The insurance companies themselves are insured.

Latest IR loop

rb-animated.gif

Please evacuate before its too late.

This hurricane is such a monster.

I know we are focusing on Florida and Irma but CNN has a atmospheric pressure explanation that made it look like Jose could be forced into New England coast. What is the projections for Jose?

Oh man is Jose gets here (New England), I'm probably officially running away. Hopefully it's not that big though.

FyreWulff

Latest round of "guess where the hurricane is based off flight radar only"

8DfKKeQ.png

When NOAA49 wants that data but also must remember to not have a political incident:

of0xvaa.png

III-V

What causes the turn, and not continue into the Gulf? Water temperature?

not an expert by any means but from what I understand the Bermuda high swells and contracts, and the turn is expected to happen when that high pressure system contracts, causing the turn.

When NOAA49 wants that data but also must remember to not have a political incident:
Although that is some consideration, they usually don't fly over anything that's not a US territory. It's a military call signal, which could be confusing.

There's also no reason to fly over land. The data collected there is pretty much worthless. That's true of both the high altitude and missions that go through.

So am I wrong in thinking that the people showing up at that Southernmost Point spot in the last hour or so are not getting out of the Keys in time? They think they're going to ride this out, do they?

Mifune

Mehmber
My mom and stepdad in Naples are hunkering down at home. They have shutters and the house is as ready as it's going to be. I begged with her to go to a shelter but she's not going because they're all full and her part of Naples hasn't been evacuated (they're not super close to the coast).

I just don't even know what to say.

So am I wrong in thinking that the people showing up at that Southernmost Point spot in the last hour or so are not getting out of the Keys in time? They think they're going to ride this out, do they?

If they left now they would be fine. But conditions are going to be deteriorating as they make that 90 mile drive to the mainland, and only getting worse for each minute they stay on Key West.

III-V

These are tropical storm force conditions, and while the roads are bad and have some flooded areas, it is still possible to leave. Hurricane force winds will begin early tomorrow for them.

Hopefully they are leaving now, as conditions will only worsen into a nightmare scenario.

Top Bottom