• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

III-V

Here we go
TatteredWealthyIsabellineshrike-size_restricted.gif

Soros funded scare tactics to fund big water, home depot, hotels, evacuation etc.

EDIT: just watch the live cam, there are SO MANY PEOPLE STILL THERE.

EDIT: I wonder if he is at all thinking about his own mortality as this evening passes.

iavi

Do these people out there taking pictures not realize there's a very high chance they're going to die on the keys. The nonchalance right now out there is crazy

Starfield

sflufan

Banned
Soros funded scare tactics to fund big water, home depot, hotels, evacuation etc.

EDIT: just watch the live cam, there are SO MANY PEOPLE STILL THERE.

EDIT: I wonder if he is at all thinking about his own mortality as this evening passes.

There is something somewhat disgustingly immoral about having so very little regard for one's own life when it need not be the case.

It's one thing to willingly give up one's life doing something "heroic", but to sacrifice it for THIS?!? Nah, that's just immoral.

III-V

I do wonder how many Republicans now believe that the weather has a Liberal bias, and think of climate as just another outraged snowflake.

More believe that the bad weather is sent by God to punish us for sins, (i.e. Sodom and Ghomorrha) and remind us of humility.

dickroach

Do these people out there taking pictures not realize there's a very high chance they're going to die on the keys. The nonchalance right now out there is crazy

they've been through hurricanes before. I'm sure their homes are built to withstand them to some degree. they don't think it's going to be as bad as the governor, nhc, etc. are saying it's going to be. and honestly I don't either

a few videos that show the sheer destruction of the storm that is coming towards Florida.

https://vid.pr0gramm.com/2017/09/09/cad59b6f5fb7d652.mp4

that first video lol

a few videos that show the sheer destruction of the storm that is coming towards Florida.

https://vid.pr0gramm.com/2017/09/09/cad59b6f5fb7d652.mp4

https://vid.pr0gramm.com/2017/09/09/d172175b677b0a76.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/CT59IAv.mp4

also here is some footage of a plane flying into the eye of "Irma"
kinda shocking that something so destructive can look so beautiful...

https://vid.pr0gramm.com/2017/09/08/fe8e1c92d18ea58d.mp4

Some of these aren't videos of Irma.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If they survive they'll say "See? No ptoblem!"

Update:

Collier County has no more available space for sheltering. NONE. If you need to evacuate just prior to the storm, you must find a way to get vertical. If you can, please evacuate North or East as quickly as possible. First Responders will be off the roads by 2am Sunday (less than 12 hours from now.

There's plenty of structures that could survive most anything on the Keys, including old forts, military structures, hardened stuff. The catch is there's a lot more that aren't nearly as sturdy and the storm surge is going to cover most of the islands completely. Highest point on Key West is only 18ft, so I guess that's one spot that may stay above water.

Yeah, a lot of those 'quaint' beach houses are probably going to be either washed away of flooded to a point.

Shoeless

If they survive they'll say "See? No ptoblem!"

And if they don't, there are going to be a lot of busy lawyers turning people down for pointless wrongful death lawsuits when angry family members claim "It's the government's obligation to break doors down, carry people away kicking and screaming, and put them on boats or planes away from the danger zone! That's real Republican, Libertarianism at work! FREEDOM! USA!USA! YOU OWE US, US GOVERNMENT YOU TOOK MY FAMILY AWAY BY NOT FORCIBLY REMOVING THEM, WHICH IMPINGED ON THEIR FREEDOM TO LIVE!"

I have to admit, in my family, I'm a little bit of a "Bad Guy" right now. I have a sister-in-law in Port Charlotte that refused to leave. The rest of the family is concerned, but I keep vacillating between worry and "I have no sympathy for you, we gave you every warning and opportunity to get out, even offered to fly you and your cat out of there, and you STILL insisted on staying in your condo."

When people are that detached from reality, it's hard to stay on their side.

III-V

well... yeah. it's not like if they die they'll be saying "damn I should have listened" :\

They will be saying this as they die. Which homes do you know can withstand 10 feet of storm surge? Nothing like this has hit the keys in more ~60 years. These people weren't here then.

Cub3h

Banned
It's a damn circus at the "south most point" webcam on the Keys, so many people are still goofing around, posing for pictures and whatnot. These crazy idiots have hours left to evacuate and they just don't care.

So I'm in an apartment on the second floor in Orlando near Universal. Should I be moving to a shelter or a house? I was planning on riding it out but my parents are insistent we leave. They're in Oviedo.

gosox333

this is coming from a place of ignorance, as I've only been following this hurricane stuff for about a week or so, but have the keys never been hit with a hurricane higher than a cat 3 before? Is Irma the worst it's ever seen?

It seems like the general consensus is that the area is irrevocably doomed.

Nictel

It's a damn circus at the "south most point" webcam on the Keys, so many people are still goofing around, posing for pictures and whatnot. These crazy idiots have hours left to evacuate and they just don't care.

Probably a rare pokemon.

KoopaTheCasual

Thanks for the replies guys! Yea I though the whole hurricane was massive, so the projection confused me. But that said, wow, that's one big eye.

Really feeling shitty for the people of Tampa who were probably prepared for a sideswipe and are now more fucked than Miami =

sflufan

Banned
this is coming from a place of ignorance, as I've only been following this hurricane stuff for about a week or so, but have the keys never been hit with a hurricane higher than a cat 3 before? Is Irma the worst it's ever seen?

The "Labor Day Hurricane" of 1935 that hit the Keys was a Category 5.

MSNBC has a reporter riding around with the Fire Department in a mandatory evacuation zone(Cape Coral) and multiple people walking around the neighborhood refusing to leave.

Snaku

Banned
I'm not suggesting that this even begin in the immediate aftermath of this story, but MUST be something that requires the political and economic leadership at both the Federal and State levels to recognize as a real possibility and start to develop plans accordingly.

Yeah well good luck with that, the federal government and the state of Florida are being run by climate change deniers. You honestly think they'll ever acknowledge that there may be a problem caused by climate change that will require the seizure of private property, and the government compensate these displaced citizens with government handouts which will probably run into the billions?

I believe Katrina was a 4 when it passed through Southern Florida. Not sure how much of it hit the Keys. Odds are they only experienced Cat 1-2 from that though.

sflufan

Banned
Yeah well good luck with that, the federal government and the state of Florida are being run by climate change deniers. You honestly think they'll ever acknowledge that there may be a problem caused by climate change that will require the seizure of private property, and the government compensate these displaced citizens with government handouts which will probably run into the billions?

Oh, I have no faith at all that anyone in the current administrations in Washington or Tallahassee will even consider this at all...or they'll just blame it on all the homosexuals in Key West.

SOLDIER

Missing miami and fucking tampa

My sympathies with Tampa, but this must be the most literal example I've experienced yet of dodging a bullet.

Never again. Next time there's a warning like this I'm flying the fuck out of Florida.

And I'll still be considering moving out permanently after all this.

kendrid

Banned
It begins :(

On the subject of moving, I love Florida but I also really hope I can leave in a few years. This is my home but its fate is inevitable, regardless of whether or not its in my lifetime.

Look at the comments. People are saying this is an old photo.

Snaku

Banned
My sympathies with Tampa, but this must be the most literal example I've experienced yet of dodging a bullet.

Never again. Next time there's a warning like this I'm flying the fuck out of Florida.

And I'll still be considering moving out permanently after all this.

At least you're learning the right lesson. Already hearing friends that live on the south east coast bitching about having evacuated for nothing. My fear is they won't evacuate next time and will pay the price.

Top Bottom