• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

11 PM NHC Advisory

LOCATION...23.5N 81.0W
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM NNE OF VARADERO CUBA
ABOUT 90 MI...145 KM SE OF KEY WEST FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 305 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...933 MB...27.55 INCHES

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So the current models are showing it going even further west again?

Friend's picture from MCO an hour ago, right before she boarded her flight:

No shit, right.

I love Disney World but MCO is kind of shit.

I don't mind MCO. It beats the pants off JFK and LGA. And Newark! The lines are fairly quick too. But yeah, that's what the airport once looked for me too at 3AM when my flight out of NYC was delayed.

What sucks about MCO right now is the late night maintenance on the monorail at Terminal A (I think). So if you land after a certain hour, getting back requires taking a bus to the other terminal and taking that terminal's rail to the hub. Like wtf...just have the bus take me all the way to the hub.

sflufan

Banned
NHC is now calling it to be Category 3 going up the west coast and moving further westwards. That's an ever so slight piece of good news.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
11 PM NHC Advisory

LOCATION...23.5N 81.0W
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM NNE OF VARADERO CUBA
ABOUT 90 MI...145 KM SE OF KEY WEST FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 305 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...933 MB...27.55 INCHES

It slowed down again!?!

I'll be 50 by the time this thing reaches the Orlando area. And I'm 32!

New path looks like it has it as a cat 3 through the Keys & up the coast but the track has shifted a bit more westward which seems bad for Tampa. Center line looks just left of Tampa Bay.

Yup, Orlando is going to be just fine. Praise be to Cuba.

It can still wobble to the right at the last moment, just like last year (though that was in our favor). Also this storm is so huge that hurricane force winds can still be felt in Orlando. No one should let their guard down until after the storm passes.

cjdunn

At this point, I'm sick of the waiting and the anxiety and just want to get this over with.

Yeah, same. So to keep busy, while watching Will Smith's PUBG twitch backlog, I filled a 7 gallon canister with filtered water and put my consoles into waterproof boxes.

...because priorities.

sflufan

Banned
New path looks like it has it as a cat 3 through the Keys & up the coast but the track has shifted a bit more westward which seems bad for Tampa. Center line looks just left of Tampa Bay.

Considering that at one point a Category 4 landfall was (and could still be) a real possibility for the Tampa Bay area, this new projection is lesser than that evil.

gaiages

Banned
Yeah, same. So to keep busy, while watching Will Smith's PUBG twitch backlog, I filled a 7 gallon canister with filtered water and put my consoles into waterproof boxes.

...because priorities.

I mean shit I secured my consoles before anything else. Like, I'd really rather not have to rebuy expensive consoles, they're the most costly things I own!

Anyone know a way I could find out what the maximum wind gusts are in st pete right now? Everything I find shows current wind speed. I want to get a sense for what I'm in for vs what theses gusts feel like.

Blizzard

Banned
I mean shit I secured my consoles before anything else. Like, I'd really rather not have to rebuy expensive consoles, they're the most costly things I own!

hey fellow Tallahassee where did you evacuate to? Looking at the most recent track I'm not sure I wanna leave but I'm leaning towards rather safe than sorry.

Considering that at one point a Category 4 landfall was (and could still be) a real possibility for the Tampa Bay area, this new projection is lesser than that evil.

Yep it will struggle to have US landfall wind speeds of Harvey at this point. And its moving fast and wont stall until its up near Tennessee. Florida should come out of this relatively okay.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That may be true for gusts, but NOAA now has Orlando at almost 0% chance of sustained hurricane force winds.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/213811.shtml?hwind120#wcontents

I'm not gonna die after all.
2awu465.gif

Lkr

Yep it will struggle to have US landfall wind speeds of Harvey at this point. And its moving fast and wont stall until its up near Tennessee. Florida should come out of this relatively okay.
I hope but at this point I'm prepared for the worst. Woke up expecting hurricane winds for hours come tomorrow night and now I'm told I might not get them at all is nice but I've come too far to put my guard down

The Keys, SW Florida, Tampa, and (possibly) the panhandle are gonna take heavy damage, though. That said, it's better than what was projected 24 hours ago where literally every metropolitan area in Florida would be taking heavy damage.

Steejee

Poor Cuba took it on the chin to bring down Irma a bit (supposedly no fatalities, but Cuba not being very open with info), but at the speed it's going that could be a looong trip across the warm waters to Key West.

sinkfla87

Well it was fun while it lasted guys. I'll see you in the crucible. GUARDIAN OUT.

No, but really I have a bad feeling we're going to get fucked.

Had some power fluctuation but no power loss yet in Palm Springs. Comcast went out for a good half-hour, though. Worst wind/rain is coming tomorrow morning/afternoon, though.

Hoping that everyone in the west coast of FL is going to be safe, with the sudden change in the last few days.

A CAT 3 is still pretty damn powerful and for those of us in Georgia and Alabama spending on which we she goes, still need to be ready for heavy rain and wind.

Here in central Georgia I remember the flood in the mid 90s where a tropical storm stalled right over us.

Top Bottom