• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Briarios

I can't sleep at all. This has all been so exhausting. I'm here in Sarasota and my wife's grandparents are staying with us because they live in a mobile home. They brought with them some neighbors who didn't have anywhere else to go. My house isn't boarded up, I don't feel it's safe, I want to go to a shelter but everyone else is refusing because they're all old with aches and pains and feel it'd be too uncomfortable. I don't know what to do. I can't just take my wife and child and leave the rest of them behind, we took them in and I feel responsible for them. But I also don't feel like it's safe here and so I don't know what to do. Time is running out and I feel like I'm trapped.

If you're not in an evacuation zone, you'll be ok. Keep people away from windows, keep the interior doors closed, and you'll make it through. You do you have rooms or hallways without windows? That's a good place to hang out. Are your windows impact resistant?

If you're in an evacuation zone, you have to go.

How are people feeling happy about this, doesn't the storm staying in water and slowing down mean it's more danger. Like a bigger and more dangerous Harvey ?

For as bad as a category 4 is, Harvey's greatest danger was that it didn't move away from Houston for like a day+. While Irma's slowing down, it's still tracking to keep moving in one general direction and not overstay it's welcome anywhere near Florida (there might be some problems once it gets more inland). Irma's danger was always a high storm surge and strong winds, and it looks like the winds won't be a strong as people were fearing they'd be.

Bandini

I can't sleep at all. This has all been so exhausting. I'm here in Sarasota and my wife's grandparents are staying with us because they live in a mobile home. They brought with them some neighbors who didn't have anywhere else to go. My house isn't boarded up, I don't feel it's safe, I want to go to a shelter but everyone else is refusing because they're all old with aches and pains and feel it'd be too uncomfortable. I don't know what to do. I can't just take my wife and child and leave the rest of them behind, we took them in and I feel responsible for them. But I also don't feel like it's safe here and so I don't know what to do. Time is running out and I feel like I'm trapped.

Are you in a good spot elevation wise? Make sure you're not in a flood area.

Honestly if nothing else you should take your wife and kid to a shelter. If you feel the need to go back at least they'll be safe

statham

If you're not in an evacuation zone, you'll be ok. Keep people away from windows, keep the interior doors closed, and you'll make it through. You do you have rooms or hallways without windows? That's a good place to hang out. Are your windows impact resistant?

If you're in an evacuation zone, you have to go.
its the tornados that scare me.

Xero

Are you in a good spot elevation wise? Make sure you're not in a flood area.

Honestly if nothing else you should take your wife and kid to a shelter. If you feel the need to go back at least they'll be safe

At the least this. Your primary duty is to your wife and child, make sure they are safe. If you feel you need to go back to take care of the elderly then do so with your wife and child safe. I wouldnt risk my wife and child over some stubborn grandparents and their neighbors.

You know what to do. Make it happen.

It'll gain strength - it's over open sea now and the water temp is 85.3F.

Probably will be Cat 4 at landfall in the Keys.

If the eye stays just off western coastline as it moves N/NW, it won't degrade too much - which is bad since the worst part of the storm will be hugging the coast.

How much longer until landfall?

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Tropical storm watches are up to Atlanta GA now. Hurricane is about 80 miles south of Key West.

Winds are up to 165mph but it's not at surface level. Gotta go above 9000 feet.

Irma looks as healthy as she was in the carribean. Dvorak score is 6.4. And the IR shows great structure and outflows. She is setting up for a run...

IMG_0023.JPG.f594821785d2202d5fd536a74420c26a.JPG

Not a good look on that storm for wherever she lands. Presuming there is no shear or dry air, as I have seen suggested elsewhere, that is a very scary looking cane all of a sudden.

Ihyll

It will probably be upgraded to a category 4 on the next update...wouldn't be surprised if she made landfall as a category 5.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
The Internet is a weird place, I feel like so many people WANT this to be a really bad storm, and are getting annoyed that it may be not as bad as expected. They WANT it to strengthen.

I want it to fizzle and die. I would much rather read about media hyping up a storm than about people's ruined lives.

For the record, not talking about GAF specifically, just net in general. GAF likes drama, as long as nobody dies. I can relate on some levels ;P

Arcia

Banned
Is this thing literally camping on that open warm water? Looks like it's moving slower?

I remember Harvey slowing down right before it hit Rockport, TX and uh.... you don't want that to happen. It was able to strengthen from somewhere around a Cat 2 to Cat 4 in no time. Lets hope its just turning and doesn't lose momentum

Ihyll

If this was Dragon Ball Z we're in the part where Irma and Florida yell at each other and power up for 3 episodes before they fight.

This is the part where the villain powers up a huge energy ball and launches it at Goku who tries to stop it.

The Internet is a weird place, I feel like so many people WANT this to be a really bad storm, and are getting annoyed that it may be not as bad as expected. They WANT it to strengthen.

I want it to fizzle and die. I would much rather read about media hyping up a storm than about people's ruined lives.

For the record, not talking about GAF specifically, just net in general. GAF likes drama, as long as nobody dies. I can relate on some levels ;P

I don't think people want others to suffer, but I think people realize how much mindshare is tied up in this storm. Never have so many climate change scientists been invited on tv and allowed to speak freely without a denier on the other side of the screen. Never have so many people been actually aware of the effects of climate change (I believe). If this storms is a dud, the narrative dies. It's one we badly need. I can hear Trump's tweets now, "scientist got it wrong", "what happened to climate change? The storm dissipated!" It would honestly set us back majorly. Also people will be way less likely to evactuate next time. That is a huge danger as well. Better to have a strong storm when people evacuated than a monster with a defiant populous. Just think this time 4+ million did not even evacuate. Now imagine how it would be if Irma fizzed out. No one would want to leave.

Its not the internet specifically. Its humans. Its the same reason Donald won. People want to be entertained, once they no longer have to worry a out only survival. Its a bad look into society.

Haines

Banned

Than they are fucked. The damage these things due is really off the charts.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I don't think people want others to suffer, but I think people realize how much mindshare is tied up in this storm. Never have so many climate change scientists been invited on tv and allowed to speak freely without a denier on the other side of the screen. Never have so many people been actually aware of the effects of climate change (I believe). If this storms is a dud, the narrative dies. It's one we badly need. I can hear Trump's tweets now, "scientist got it wrong", "what happened to climate change? The storm dissipated!" It would honestly set us back majorly. Also people will be way less likely to evactuate next time. That is a huge danger as well. Better to have a strong storm when people evacuated than a monster with a defiant populous. Just think this time 4+ million did not even evacuate. Now imagine how it would be if Irma fizzed out. No one would want to leave.

For several days, the media dragged along the entire country for clicks and views and eyeballs. For anyone not directly affected, they want to see the proverbial wolf they were promised.

The media deserves culpability for any desire for a bad result since they shamelessly stoked and appealed to it for their own gain.

GhaleonEB

For several days, the media dragged along the entire country for clicks and views and eyeballs. For anyone not directly affected, they want to see the proverbial wolf they were promised.

The media deserves culpability for any desire for a bad result since they shamelessly stoked and appealed to it for their own gain.

Read out of context, you could be describing the election. (Swap in months for days.) It's the media's MO, sadly.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

Personally I'd like that fucker to shrivel up and vanish.

But we all have small animal in headlights syndrome. Stopping to look at that big thing flying towards us (or a projected us).

JackDT

I totally understand those people because I get the same feelings. I think "OMG we might get a three foot blizzard in May -- breaking every record ever!" And then it turns into rain and I feel disappointed. I just can't help but root for exceptional events. And then I feel gross that I am disappointed because I think of how terrible the storm would be. And then I just feel silly for even feeling bad -- as if my feelings of rooting for or against a storm were going to effect a storm or something.

It's a wild ride in our stupid god damn irrational lizard brains.

Top Bottom