• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

gaiages

Banned
hey fellow Tallahassee where did you evacuate to? Looking at the most recent track I'm not sure I wanna leave but I'm leaning towards rather safe than sorry.

We weren't able to, the traffic was really bad and as of this morning when we made the final decision whether to evac or not it was set to hit the town in Georgia we were going to as well :/ it's not anymore but who knows what the next prediction will say.

If it's a category 1 like the current predictions it won't be too too bad. But who the hell knows at this point the predictions are constantly changing more than expected =_=

We weren't able to, the traffic was really bad and as of this morning when we made the final decision whether to evac or not it was set to hit the town in Georgia we were going to as well :/

If it's a category 1 like the current predictions it won't be too too bad. But who the hell knows at this point the predictions are constantly changing more than expected =_=

Part of why I wish it was next week already so we can be through with this, for good or bad.

IrishNinja

Yeah as shitty as this week has been at least I know I am safe. I'll take that any day over a random event.

+1

Seems like it's missing Miami, and might get here as a category 3

yeah we're not catching it too bad here, grateful for that so far

That's because us folks down here like to blow leaves and lawn trimmings into the drains

true, can't imagine ours go very far down compared to cities not built like ours either - the beach being the worst here

1) Extremely unsmart and potentially deadly to walk through standing water. Could be downed power lines.

2) I “evacuated” but my apartment is in North Miami ;_;
And North Miami ain’t that big...

I grew up in North Miami and my neighborhood never flooded. I hardly remember there ever being standing water in the streets. There were some pockets in my back yard, but the house was also built a good 3ft above the ground. My grandfather would gather up the cats and put them under the house to ride out the storms, so they wouldn't run away from home or get hurt in the wind.

Now tropical storm Gordon in like 94 or 95, that was a down pour and my aunt's neighborhood in Cooper City turned into a giant lake. Water was cresting the foundation for most the homes. A little more rain and it would've been in the house.

MartyStu

We weren't able to, the traffic was really bad and as of this morning when we made the final decision whether to evac or not it was set to hit the town in Georgia we were going to as well :/ it's not anymore but who knows what the next prediction will say.

Wait, it is projected to hit Tally as a Category 1?

Tevious

I got family north of Tampa in west Pasco County. My grandmother already evacuated to my mom's place for the night and then they'll all be leaving for my Aunt's house further inland first thing in the morning to ride out the storm, which is an older concrete block house and at an altitude of about 84 feet. They may also consider going to a shelter depending on how bad things look in the morning. I'm supposed to be visiting next January; I hope there's still a home to visit to. And I don't know what's going to happen with the housing market there, my mom was planning on selling her home next year.

gaiages

Banned
Part of why I wish it was next week already so we can be through with this, for good or bad.

Yeah. Watching this all is super nerve wracking and really exhausting.

And I still might need to go into work Tuesday lol. Rick Scott telling people to evac but doesn't want to bother to tell the state workers if they're somehow supposed to evac (not that it's possible with all the traffic) and come back within hours of the hurricane blowing by.

Thankfully at least FSU is smart enough to preemptively cancel this whole week for classes and workers alike.

gaiages

Banned
Wait, it is projected to hit Tally as a Category 1?

That's what one of the 8pm projections I looked at said but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it tried to veer into Mexico or something. Trying to predict anything about Irma has been super hard, it seems.

For the folks in or around Tampa, I would definitely consider taking the I-4 to Orlando and finding shelter there. I had a friend that just made the trip a few hours ago and it was free and clear. If the projections remain the same by 8am tomorrow, I'll be headed that way.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I got word from a cousin that my dad did finally move inland from Anna Maria Island at like 2pm today. Cool of him to not tell his only child who has been texting him all day.

MartyStu

That's what one of the 8pm projections I looked at said but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it tried to veer into Mexico or something. Trying to predict anything about Irma has been super hard, it seems.

Yeah. And I am sick of it.

The feeling is much like the 2016 election. This storm's headstrong dismissal of all established models is too Trump-like for my comfort.

gaiages

Banned
Yeah. And I am sick of it.

The feeling is much like the 2016 election. This storm's headstrong dismissal of all established models is too Trump-like for my comfort.

Yeah. Tbh I just kinda ignored watching the storm most of today, it was causing me so much stress that I was super on edge.

My SO has been sick today too and it's just like the worst timing to get a cold or sinus infection ever lol

Sulik2

What are the reasons this storm keeps going west? Will be important to improving the models because they have been way off with Irma.

Steejee

That's a nutso ramp up if it settles in on speeds like that. I feel like I'm going to bed tonight with Irma a 120mph Cat 3 and wake up with it touching Cat5.

Thinking back, there's never been such a dangerous storm tracked for so long and so accurately. I mean the track a week out to now basically just shifted from the east coast at Miami to the west coast and hit Cuba instead of just clipping it. Insanely minor deviations for a long term forecast for an immensely complex weather system. Hats off to all the people over the years who contributed to the weather models, systems, and satellites that went into this sort of thing. The number of lives this sort of stuff saves is hard to imagine.

Iolo

What are the reasons this storm keeps going west? Will be important to improving the models because they have been way off with Irma.

It's still within the cone predicted days and days ago. The forecast has been impressively accurate. Now if it veers way off into the Gulf that is another thing.

Haines

Banned
I havent followed anything on this today,

Anyone have a liff notes update on those of us just tuning in?

Is it looking as bad as predicted or is florida not going to get completely fucked?

____

I havent followed anything on this today,

Anyone have a liff notes update on those of us just tuning in?

Is it looking as bad as predicted or is florida not going to get completely fucked?

Looks more like the eye won’t go up the center as previously projected. East side of FL looks a bit less at risk and West side / Northern FL looks more at risk.

Makki

It's still within the cone predicted days and days ago. The forecast has been impressively accurate. Now if it veers way off into the Gulf that is another thing.

Wont be if the thing makes it on shore with current speeds. Hardly accurate considering the doomsday prediction of Cat 4 across the state. At its current track and speed here in Daytona this will be even less of a challenge than Matthew.

Wensih

Still in Tallahassee as well. I boarded up two windows with wood I could scrounge up. Moving my car to the university garage. Were you able to get water gaiages/xKilltheMx? They had a pallet at the Ocala Publix this afternoon. I'm not sure if they'll be open, but they may have some more tomorrow if needed. I'm sure they'll be trucking it in after the storm though as well.

Tokubetsu

Power fluctuated a bit throughout the day but we haven't actually lost it yet here (cutler bay). I have family near Redlands who've lost it though. Gonna see if I can get a couple hours sleep before this slow ass motherfucker takes 2 days to leave the state smh

Still in Tallahassee as well. I boarded up two windows with wood I could scrounge up. Moving my car to the university garage. Were you able to get water gaiages/xKilltheMx? They had a pallet at the Ocala Publix this afternoon. I'm not sure if they'll be open, but they may have some more tomorrow if needed. I'm sure they'll be trucking it in after the storm though as well.

I got water thanks

How are people feeling happy about this, doesn't the storm staying in water and slowing down mean it's more danger. Like a bigger and more dangerous Harvey ?

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Shit's really picking up now outside in broward. Fuck! All those months of utility pole replacements seem to have worked out for the best at the moment

DEO3

I can't sleep at all. This has all been so exhausting. I'm here in Sarasota and my wife's grandparents are staying with us because they live in a mobile home. They brought with them some neighbors who didn't have anywhere else to go. My house isn't boarded up, I don't feel it's safe, I want to go to a shelter but everyone else is refusing because they're all old with aches and pains and feel it'd be too uncomfortable. I don't know what to do. I can't just take my wife and child and leave the rest of them behind, we took them in and I feel responsible for them. But I also don't feel like it's safe here and so I don't know what to do. Time is running out and I feel like I'm trapped.

Spinluck

How are people feeling happy about this, doesn't the storm staying in water and slowing down mean it's more danger. Like a bigger and more dangerous Harvey ?

The longer the core of the storm is over warm water, the more of a threat it becomes. Such conditions allow the storm to gather itself and restrengthen.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've lived in FL all my life, particularly South Florida. Was born a month before Andrew and went though the 04-05 season.

I know more about these storms than I'd like ;__;

Power fluctuated a bit throughout the day but we haven't actually lost it yet here (cutler bay). I have family near Redlands who've lost it though. Gonna see if I can get a couple hours sleep before this slow ass motherfucker takes 2 days to leave the state smh

I'm by Marlins Stadium and still have power. Friends by Miami Children's also still have power. Can already hear branches and palm fronds sliding down the street. Forgot how freaky high pitched wind sounded like.

It'll gain strength - it's over open sea now and the water temp is 85.3F.

Probably will be Cat 4 at landfall in the Keys.

If the eye stays just off western coastline as it moves N/NW, it won't degrade too much - which is bad since the worst part of the storm will be hugging the coast.

Top Bottom