• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

brerwolfe

Well just raining right now in Orlando, no more power flashes thankfully. Ate dinner and just watching football. Not looking forward to tonight though once the winds show up. Just trying to enjoy having electricity for now.
Haven't had a single power fluctuation in Clermont.

Makki

There was a category 5 hurricane wobbling through the caribbean, what did you want officials to do? The storm surges, as far as I know, haven't even begun yet and we're still waiting on word from the Keys
I'm talking about the impact on mid and northern Florida. We basically shut down up here because of the media warnings when the storm was far out. All stores around were raided and people were fleeing adding to the traffic from Miami since Tuesday last week. That's the part that irks me, they basically announced the hole state to be doomed a week out because the window of uncertainty was extremely wide at the time.

Dinokill

Some people here looked like they wanted Irma to wipe Florida out the map and every time Irma lost strength they will jump into this thread telling everyone that Irma will regain strength and continue her path of total annihilation.

I'm in Bradenton and the winds are getting pretty hard.

I'm talking about the impact on mid and northern Florida. We basically shut down up here because of the media warnings when the storm was far out. All stores around were raided and people were fleeing adding to the traffic from Miami since Tuesday last week. That's the part that irks me, they basically announced the hole state to be doomed a week out.

Rightfully so. Hurricanes are unpredictable and better to be safe and inconvenienced then in a complete disaster situation

p2535748

My parents live in Naples (they're up here now, so they're fine), and it's really surreal to see a place you know very well on TV in the middle of a hurricane. Ed on CNN is broadcasting from my daughter's favorite playground.

We actually have a planned trip for February, with my in-laws. We booked my in-laws into the hotel CNN is broadcasting from.

Anyway, not really adding much. It'll be interesting to see what shape the house is in after the surge. Hope everyone still down there is safe.

I'm talking about the impact on mid and northern Florida. We basically shut down up here because of the media warnings when the storm was far out. All stores around were raided and people were fleeing adding to the traffic from Miami since Tuesday last week. That's the part that irks me, they basically announced the hole state to be doomed a week out.

Because it could have been? Would have rather they said nothing and waited to be sure? And if Irma had gone a bit farther west and kept her strength? What then?

These dots shouldn't be that hard to connect for you...

I'm talking about the impact on mid and northern Florida. We basically shut down up here because of the media warnings when the storm was far out. All stores around were raided and people were fleeing adding to the traffic from Miami since Tuesday last week. That's the part that irks me, they basically announced the hole state to be doomed a week out because the window of uncertainty was extremely wide at the time.
Giving residents long enough to evacuate and make plans due to unstable, uncontrollable force of nature heading towards State?

Kusagari

And that's the right thing to do. If this thing didn't weaken over Cuba we would have had a Cat 5 barreling down on the state.

sinkfla87

If people aren't told in extreme ways to evacuate or prepare, then people will ignore it and/or stay behind. If the storm strengthens and does affect these areas then people who didn't prepare would have been fucked. It's better to have everything and be cautious than to not be, especially when dealing with things as unpredictable as the weather. Water and gas got ransacked here, but I'm more happy at the fact that things are looking better than predicted than I am annoyed that Publix is out of bottled water.

riotous

Banned

They aren't completely predictable. Which anyone paying attention would know.

"Better safe than sorry".. pretty simple adage. It's a GOOD THING that the storm might not be as bad; contributing to this anger at the fact it ended up weakening only encourages people to ingore warnings in the future.

But do what you want, ignore warnings in the future. Up to you.

So what the fuck is the issue again? lol, what are you upset about exactly? Traffic? Empty shelves?

MrNelson

Banned
It was forecasted yesterday to still be a Cat 3 at least when it rolled over Tampa Bay. That still isn't anything to fuck around with and was enough to get me to bug the fuck out last night. I'm glad to hear that it's weakening faster.

The wind seems to be picking up steadily. Now I'm worried about my neighbor's nasty old tree becoming a hive of javelins.
2 big of branches already broke off.

Makki

Because it could have been? Would have rather they said nothing and waited to be sure? And if Irma had gone a bit farther west and kept her strength? What then?

These dots shouldn't be that hard to connect for you...

I'm not against controlled evacuation. This hurricane was far from that, it was state-wide panic thanks to the horrible floods in Texas riding on everyone's minds and doomsday predictions. Dude, I only have an issue with the hyperbole 7 days out for everyone in the state, I'm not against preparation in general for areas in risk as long as the criteria isn't a damned state wide in advance.

This storm covers the entire state and at one point it was the strongest storm ever in the Atlantic. They were right to warn us and I'm glad they did. It was impossible to say where it would make landfall and how strong it would be.

Be thankful it weakened the way it did instead of disappointed. Those in some of the islands weren't as fortunate as some of us.

I'm not against controlled evacuation. This hurricane was far from that, it was state-wide panic thanks to the horrible floods in Texas riding on everyone's minds and doomsday predictions. Dude, I only have an issue with the hyperbole 7 days out for everyone in the state, I'm not against preparation in general for areas in risk as long as the criteria isn't a damned state wide in advance.

Then move out of Florida because every hurricane evacuation is like this. It was state wide because the storm is bigger than the state itself.

The eye could've made landfall anywhere. Everyone needed to get ready. This thing is fucking huge.

Tapioca

Banned

It was always forecast to hit southern Florida the hardest.

MrNelson

Banned
So would you rather people didn't start taking this seriously until Thursday? Forcing more people onto the roads with even less time to get out, leading to more chaos while people try to get to safety, and less time to get preparations in place? What the fuck is wrong with you?

You need that though. Floridians, especially those in the mid/northern part of the state, haven't had anything near what Irma could have been in a long time. If the dice had fallen differently and there hadn't been that 7 days, no one would be ready. I've lived in this area a long time, no one takes these things seriously unless you drill it into them that they need to.

Like, what's the downside? The upside is if things go badly, people are prepared. The downside is you were inconvenienced for a week but get to go home or stay in an intact house?

I'm happy people like you are upset if it still means more people took this seriously and will be safe.

Dre3001

I don't think it is hyperbole since nobody knew where it would hit.

I live in Tallahassee and the city was basically shut down for almost 2 weeks last year when a Category 1 hit. Irma hasn't reached here yet but I can completely understand people wanting as much time as possible to prepare so they aren't screwed.

Lunar15

People I know on the east coast already saying they'll never trust the NHC ever again. People laughing about it as if the whole thing was overhyped to get more viewers and sell more ads. And they aren't even conservative.

dickroach

I totally get what that guy's saying
when everyone and everything says "this is going to be the baddest, most destructive storm ever" and it isn't, it becomes a boy who cried wolf thing. people are going to take the warnings next time even less seriously

The whole state is getting hit. The entire state is on the dirty side of the hurricane. There are millions without power and perhaps millions more when all is said and done ( lights flickering here so just waiting).

This was a state wide emergency because of the size of the storm. Local government indicated when evacuations zones needed to begin mobilizing.

And this still isnt over and wont be until late Monday.

1) Most people living in Florida have been through hurricanes before. The tragedy in Texas isn't what drove people to be more concerned than usual. It was the fact that...

2) Irma is (was) the strongest hurricane ever recorded. No hyperbole there.

MrNelson

Banned
when everyone and everything says "this is going to be the baddest, most destructive storm ever" and it isn't, it becomes a boy who cried wolf thing. people are going to take the warnings next time even less seriously
The people who see it that way are fucking idiots. I would rather evacuate to safety and ultimately not needed to than stay when I should have gotten out.

I take any hurricane very seriously because Andrew tore a hole in my house and I lived without power or water for 5 weeks. The argument that "the last time nothing happened, so I'm not gonna believe the government " is a fools argument. Hurricanes aren't something to fuck around with.

riotous

Banned

It's not like people don't "Get it."

The logic is simple.

Its also dangerous and super easy to argue against; hurricanes are dangerous and unpredictable. Which could lead to:

a) people preparing and then not getting hit.

or

b) lead to people not preparing and dying en masse.

Which option is better? Because they CANT actually be predicted.. what is the end of the logic being sugested? Don't ever warn anyone because you can't be sure. THAT is what the argument is, and it's dangerous and stupid.

Again, no one who prepared is going to think this is someone crying wolf. They're relieved. There's pictures of Barbuda being destroyed, Key West being submerged, and Miami losing roofs. People will just be happy that it didn't happen to them. No one is going to think this was some phantom storm that people made up and they don't have to worry about the next one.

You haven't even seen the flooding start around Naples yet.

Nictel

They probably use the worst scenario for their decisions. The alternative is saying "it will be OK" and hundreds of people dying if it happens to come out worse.

Not America. Doesn't matter.

Puerto Rico is America, our future 51st state.

That said, a category 2 is still dangerous. 100 mile an hour winds can carry debris that will fuck you up. This was not overhyped by any stretch of the imagination. It shifting west and hitting Cuba's (luckily) uninhabited parts is what has brought this down to this level that we are seeing now.

Giganteus

The entirety of Florida was at risk of being hit by a cat 5 and they werent sure where it was going to go. You can't just say "areas at risk" as if they could be that specific to the public given the circumstances. It had to be state-wide, despite your issue with common sense.

Screw it, i was going to type out way more. This is a waste of time. Most people get it.

I'm completely ignorant on the science behind Hurricanes but...

It's now a Cat 2, but could it strengthen on its way up the coast?

That's not to downplay its potential as a Cat 2 of course.

RDreamer

But... they didn't.

Everyone said "This has the potential to be the most destructive storm ever depending on the path it takes," and it absolutely provably did have that potential. It was one of the strongest storms ever recorded in the Atlantic and if it hadn't nicked Cuba it would have smashed Florida. Just because it took one possible path of many doesn't mean what people were saying was wrong. This is ridiculous and people really need to understand science and math a helluva lot more.

If someone says something has an 80% chance of happening and it doesn't that doesn't mean they were wrong. People need to understand this. Probability and chance predictions along with models never give you an exact, and they probably won't ever.

Like, do people complaining here just want weather forecasters to say nothing and the government to just sit on these possibilities until it's 100% sure? Then you'd be bitching about having 1 day notice to get the fuck out of where you're at or you die. No, we want early warnings and we need early warnings in order to prepare.

Setmeni

So did this get over hyped? Already down a cat 2, people might not take the next hurricane warning seriously since this isn't still a 5 destroying shit left and right.

I mean in my opinion yes, the news and government officials whipped everyone into a frenzy and now nothing. Not to mention a lot of people myself included lost a week's worth of pay which will be damaging enough to our bills. Sure get people to evacuate if they really need to but this has turned into the second storm where I've lost time and money over nothing.

Yea it's really a shame you didn't get the full 185mph direct hit. It's much better to come back to your home being flattened than missing a few days work. Completely understandable why you feel this way. The only thing that could have been better is if they decided not to evacuate and 100,000 people died due to flooding and cat 5 winds. That would have been so epic right?

TyrantII

So sorry to inconvenience you.

FFS..

nded

I mean in my opinion yes, the news and government officials whipped everyone into a frenzy and now nothing. Not to mention a lot of people myself included lost a week's worth of pay which will be damaging enough to our bills. Sure get people to evacuate if they really need to but this has turned into the second storm where I've lost time and money over nothing.

Oh, the absolute tragedy.

Top Bottom