• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Nope I'm one of the many people in my restaurant that lost out on tons of hours this week which could mess up my rent check, hell could put me out of a house either way. I can guarantee some of my coworkers will lose their apartments due to a loss of pay

Give him rent money or give him death.

Better to not have an apartment to rent, obviously.

EDIT: Oops, what a lousy top-of-page post. Sorry.

weekev

Banned
People are treating this like it's a fucking E3 press conference.
Exactly. If it's less destructive than initially thought less people die and less homes are destroyed. People are acting like it's a bad thing that this thing is not as much of a beast as first thought. That being said it's still a very dangerous storm and it's got a long time left.

People are treating this like it's a fucking E3 press conference.

MtZ9N.gif

Ryuuroden

Well I just hope this is enough to push Tampa officials to make the necessary investments in infrastructure.........yeah, who am I kidding..

Man, I feel like Florida is in a no win situation with hurricanes.

When it's the best case scenario, people use it as fodder to naysay scientists and meteorologists.

And when there's devastation, why weren't we prepared / that's what comes with living in the subtropics / etc?

Vena

When it's the best case scenario, people use it as fodder to naysay scientists and meteorologists.

And when there's devastation, why weren't we prepared / that's what comes with living in the subtropics / etc?

I mean, the parts of the Keys just got wiped out. And there's still major flooding, rain, wind, and structural damage even though Irma missed direct landfall.

You look at that and wipe your brow because you were lucky.

Finally made it to Chicago this morning after evacuating. Neighbors are saying that power is out for our whole subdivision. Not sure about the damage yet. Hoping for the best.

pulsemyne

The idiots complaining that this was over hyped etc your moaning because the media gave out the correct warnings and asked people to evacuate!
I mean come on. The reporting got peoples attention and could very well have saved lives. You think it's only worth evacuating if your right in the eyewall and due to get smashed by 150mph winds? You are fucking lucky enough to live in a part of the world where you can evacuate. The poor people on Barbuda couldn't, nor the virgin islands, nor the Turks and Caicos etc. They are got blasted. The storm wasn't over hyped for them. It was a terrifying experience.
You should damn thankful that Irma is not the beast she once was.

sinkfla87

Shouldn't you be blaming the people trying to exploit you during a natural disaster rather than getting mad at some weather?

Lol this is a good point! Stop being angry at the weathermen, and be angry at the fuck asses buying out bottled water and selling it for $5 a pop. Along with your cold hearted Landlords/employers.

This does bring up an interesting point though, if your business is forced to close during a potential major disaster can you apply for funds? If the storm came here, then we were going to shut down but provide shelter to those in need (hotel) and allow the employees to stay and get paid for working while there. A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck here and while people who DO lose everything should be 1st priority (by a fucking country mile), is there anything people can do if they lose a week's worth of pay and thus cannot pay bills/rent? IMO Landlords should be more empathic and flexible, and job operators need to provide their employees with pay during a time like this but you know how shitty some people can be. With that said, it's still better to say you have a place to work and nobody in your town was killed than it is to lose everything... lives, land and shelter included.

I mean, the parts of the Keys just got wiped out. And there's still major flooding, rain, wind, and structural damage even though Irma missed direct landfall.

You look at that and wipe your brow because you were lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling Irma "best case scenario" by any means.

I'm talking in larger context... seeing this Ann Coulter tweet, sentiments like that, and the many, many similar sentiments I've heard from decades of living here.

III-V

these are assholes with hot takes.

So Rush Limbaugh was right all along?

yes, rush was right bullocks all along

Nope I'm one of the many people in my restaurant that lost out on tons of hours this week which could mess up my rent check, hell could put me out of a house either way. I can guarantee some of my coworkers will lose their apartments due to a loss of pay. I'm simply saying don't whip the entire state into a frenzy. Miami and other places sure but there is no need to have shut down Central Florida or Tampa at this point.

Even though the storm is heading towards Central Florida and Tampa right now. Come on dude. There are ways to get your rent paid. There aren't ways to get your life back.

Give like three days not a week, and not have the Governor, CNN and Fox all telling everyone every three minutes if you don't leave you will die, that's super over the top.

Do you realize how close Florida came here? If Irma hadn't hit Cuba, it would have slammed into the state at unbelievable power and devastated the area. There was a whole 1 day between the hurricane hitting Cuba and then Florida. If they had waited that long and it hit at category 5, there would be body bags everywhere.

As has been stated, count your blessings, not cursing the people who are desperately trying to keep you safe. All those people who stayed behind claiming that they 'knew better' very well could have all been killed. They gambled with their life and the next time it might actually cost them. It's for those people who like to minimize catastrophe that harsh warnings have to be given out.

The continual efforts of a dismissive stance towards ever-worsening environmental disasters while our infrastructure and such rots amid tremendous hubris just may be the doom of this country. Being divorced from the fact that nature can/will, in fact, kill and destroy the lot of us and our works is a hell of a conceit for a civilized society to adopt---so damn wrapped up in nonsense that the actual ancient omnipresent threat from without is left to the whims of capricious chaos is the height of foolishness.

I mean, hell, it takes less effort to wait and see than massively reach for some hollow narrative of invincibility like Coulter and her ilk.

MaulerX

People I know on the east coast already saying they'll never trust the NHC ever again. People laughing about it as if the whole thing was overhyped to get more viewers and sell more ads. And they aren't even conservative.

That is so sad. This thing hit Cuba as a Cat 5 and it stayed for a long time. If weren't for that it would have been Florida taking the Cat 5 hit. And look at all the damage it still did to FL and the rest that has yet to be assessed. This thing was every bit as dangerous as they said it was.

III-V

The continual efforts of a dismissive stance towards ever-worsening environmental disasters while our infrastructure and such rots amid tremendous hubris just may be the doom of this country. Being divorced from the fact that nature can/will, in fact, kill and destroy the lot of us and our works is a hell of a conceit for a civilized society to adopt---so damn wrapped up in nonsense that the actual ancient omnipresent threat from without is left to the whims of capricious chaos is the height of foolishness.

I mean, hell, it takes less effort to wait and see than massively reach for some hollow narrative of invincibility like Coulter and her ilk.

you are right, and this kind of talk is so toxic and disgusting while we are still going through a Cat 2 hurricane

A lot of emotional responses and extremes. Early prep/evacuation in stages is necessary, all flood and surge prone areas should have been the ones to warn in the beginning and then progressively inward as the noodle models converged. It's the difference between boarding a plane having everyone rush the gate vs establishing boarding groups. People were fighting over water in my area 5 days out, gas stations drained and I-95 was stop and go, when it could have been easier on everyone with a more progressive evacuation.

You really think people were acting that way because of what Fox News says? Sorry dude but as soon as you say possible category 5 incoming, that's what people are gonna do, because they know what it's like to get hit by a disaster of this magnitude.

SomTervo

Nope I'm one of the many people in my restaurant that lost out on tons of hours this week which could mess up my rent check, hell could put me out of a house either way. I can guarantee some of my coworkers will lose their apartments due to a loss of pay. I'm simply saying don't whip the entire state into a frenzy. Miami and other places sure but there is no need to have shut down Central Florida or Tampa at this point.

But dude you couldn't know. Nobody could. There's a parallel universe where the hurricane was WORSE than they expected and all your preparations were worthwhile. It's impossible to predict accurately but it could just as easily be worse.

Berordn

Constant Tornado Warnings in Seminole County now.

It's almost like, and hear me out for a second, a hurricane is a fucking destructive force regardless of intensity.

RDreamer

Any news from the keys? All the streams and contacts from there seemed to go out hours ago.

I think last word was pretty much everything was under water. One thing showed like 15 feet of water. One shelter on the keys had someone die overnight I guess of natural causes and they're kind of low on food unfortunately. So, it's not doing so well.

III-V

Power beginning to flicker regularly, and plenty of rain at this point with thunderstorm level gusts at this point in Tampa.

Audioboxer

I think last word was pretty much everything was under water. One thing showed like 15 feet of water. One shelter on the keys had someone die overnight I guess of natural causes and they're kind of low on food unfortunately. So, it's not doing so well.

Yeah I briefly read that earlier. That storm surge looks like no joke. It was concerning enough boat guy was livestreaming as the eye approached, but the surge will have caused havoc in that marina. All cell towers seemed to go down at once which cut off all streams.

Top Bottom