• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Zyae

Nope I'm one of the many people in my restaurant that lost out on tons of hours this week which could mess up my rent check, hell could put me out of a house either way. I can guarantee some of my coworkers will lose their apartments due to a loss of pay. I'm simply saying don't whip the entire state into a frenzy. Miami and other places sure but there is no need to have shut down Central Florida or Tampa at this point.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Zyae

A category 2 storm is still life threatening and will cause billions of dollars of damage. Some of the people in this thread are absurd. The Media did nothing wrong this go around and neither did the state for taking precautions.

People are worried about hype when mets / officials were worried about Katrina 2.0. This was never about hype, it was about lives. A hurricane hitting just to the west of Miami at Cat 5 intensity or even 4, was potentially Katrina 2.0. Those who have studied storms for decades understood that. The media just tried to capitalize on the entertainment value of the storm, as usual.

A category 2 storm is still life threatening and will cause millions of dollars of damage. Some of the people in this thread are absurd. The Media did nothing wrong this go around and neither did the state for taking precautions.

Not millions, billions.

Zyae

Not millions, billions.

yes you're right about that, I made a typo.

2.3millin without power so far, but no big deal right guys?

Still cant believe that guy is complaining that he lost money at his job while people are going to die. Tampa is about to get fucked.

People are worried about hype when mets / officials were worried about Katrina 2.0. This was never about hype, it was about lives. A hurricane hitting just to the west of Miami at Cat 5 intensity or even 4, was potentially Katrina 2.0. Those who have studied storms for decades understood that. The media just tried to capitalize on the entertainment value of the storm, as usual.

As it is Tampa is likely going to get Houston'd when the storm surge gets through there and rain picks up. Already we're seeing intense flooding in Miami and Tampa is more at risk than Miami.

I doubt we'll see 10+ feet of flooding but odds are it has a really rough time. We're seeing 7+ feet in places already.

Nope I'm one of the many people in my restaurant that lost out on tons of hours this week which could mess up my rent check, hell could put me out of a house either way. I can guarantee some of my coworkers will lose their apartments due to a loss of pay. I'm simply saying don't whip the entire state into a frenzy. Miami and other places sure but there is no need to have shut down Central Florida or Tampa at this point.

Guess it would have been better to let you die then?

Under what circumstances *would* you have thought it reasonable to whip the state into a frenzy? After everyone is already dead?

GodofWine

So did this get over hyped? Already down a cat 2, people might not take the next hurricane warning seriously since this isn't still a 5 destroying shit left and right.

No. We haven't seen the worst images yet. The weather people just stand in the winter wind near strong buildings. We don't see stuff get ripped apart live on tv. I

Millions will be without power for weeks. 1000s will be homeless.

Dre3001

Despite weakening a category 2 is no joke and still should be taken pretty seriously.

For comparison; Hurricane sandy that destroyed New Jersey was a Category 2.

So Florida is not out of the woods yet.

Had last second tree removal at my home in southeastern Georgia. Killed 5 huge trees that were a direct threat to my home. My lawn is in absolute ruin now, but we are safer than before!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Seriously, a mod is gonna probably sweep through here like the hurricane we're supposed to be discussing. Probably better to let it go.

Yes, please lets go back on topic. So I just got myself a chicken tender sub from Publix.

Lights flickered on and off here in Lake County just now. First time it has done it.

WTF at people saying that this storm is not a big deal. Is the west coast getting battered, the Keys going completely underwater, Miami encountering heavy storm surges, and millions without power not enough or something?

We avoided the worst case scenario but this is still a very dangerous storm. I'm now wary about tornado warnings in the northwest Orlando area. I can't even imagine what Tampa is going through. I hope my sister remains safe...

Fortunately I still have power. Let's hope it stays that way.

Update from Riverview: Still have power, had a couple of flickers but nothing longer than a second. I'm amazed how well it's holding up so far. Still prepared to lose power anytime, but at least I got to watch the final of the US Open!

Althane

Is there anyone from Polk County that can tell me how things are in the Lakeland/Bartow/Winterhaven area? Grandparents live there and haven't heard from them all day.

Top Bottom