• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

zaryn

We got it in Lake Mary now too, started unplugging everything.

I'm in Lake Mary too, but no flashes just yet. I'm closer to Sanford near 417 and still have power, but am expecting to lose it at some point tonight. Wind and rain is only going to get worse as the storm moves north.

Haven't heard from my sis in like 5 hours. In Jax here it's been raining all day with some strong gusts. Some places in OP losing power and looks like Black Creek is already flooding. We already have some standing water that's creeping to the porch making me nervous. We still hours of this till at least tomorrow morning. Anyone have advice on emergency plugging door gaps if water rises too high? I have a sliding glass door and one front door. Towels wouldn't work I don't think, I have duck tape?

Thankfully power stayed on so I could make sloppy joes.

You could make mini water bags out of Ziploc bags. Fill them half way with water, push the air out and line them up along the door. Then cover with towels or heavy blankets. It's about the only at home craft I can think of with supplies on hand.

Anderson Cooper just claimed they saw a transformer explode and he just sort of shrugged it off as if he's seen it a thousand times. I can't imagine standing around in a hurricane like this even once let alone be bored by it all haha.

pestul

Its crazy how blatantly CNN tries to play this up.
Nah it's important.. now the guy in West Palm maybe a little. Earlier when Chris and Ed were getting the 120-140 gusts he was saying how they were getting the same. It was clear they weren't, but i think CNN coverage has been fine generally.

rambis

Banned
In what sense?

Genuinely asking because their coverage mainly consists of people standing outside in high winds which are absolutely happening.
The death toll in that latest bit for instance. They seemed almost deflated its not higher and were trying to play up the death of those officers as more than what it is.

In what sense?

Genuinely asking because their coverage mainly consists of people standing outside in high winds which are absolutely happening.

Think of it this way: The CNN reporter is standing in front of a wall that has colors from the rainbow painted on it. The viewers see the rainbow painted on the wall, but instead of just acknowledging the rainbow, the CNN reporter consistently stops and talks about each and every color, as though each separate color is the most exciting thing in the world and should be examined over and over again. Then, when they are done, they talk about the rainbow, and then pivot back to each individual color over and over again, and never stop talking. Then they talk about the fact that there is a wall under the rainbow, and pivot back and forth there.

They could have just said "there is a rainbow, it has individual colors, and is on a wall". But then they'd not have 24/7 news coverage.

Not sure how that area is faring but I seriously doubt they will be open before mid-end of the week.

Don't doubt the power of theme parks. They'll have them open as soon as the winds die down. They lose millions when they keep the gates closed. They'll have ride out crews out picking things up once the winds die down to about 30mph

Briarios

Anderson Cooper just claimed they saw a transformer explode and he just sort of shrugged it off as if he's seen it a thousand times. I can't imagine standing around in a hurricane like this even once let alone be bored by it all haha.

I will say that here in Florida, I've seen a ton of them explode -- lightning, wind, and squirrels ... poor squirrels ...

Ponn

Banned
You could make mini water bags out of Ziploc bags. Fill them half way with water, push the air out and line them up along the door. Then cover with towels or heavy blankets. It's about the only at home craft I can think of with supplies on hand.

Fighting water with water, interesting tactic.

I'm finding it a bit disturbing the amount of friends on face book going out to get food today. Even more disturbing the variety of places still open to serve them.

Audioboxer

It's all hot air, so it'll power Irma.

It'll become a fart smelling hurricane

I didn't think that through. I'll tell you what though feeding beans to a crowded room of people is a bad idea.

I'm heading off to sleep now I hope the flooding doesn't keep getting worse.

mid83

I will never understand the people who go on and on about how they "knew" the storm would miss their area and say the media and profesional meteorologists are lying and inciting panic for no reason. They are trying to save lives and it's better to be over reactive vs playing down a hurricane that leads to many lost lives because evacuation orders were late or happened and the media played it off like no big deal.

EF-0 tornados (the dominant type of tornado spawned in a hurricane) aren't as strong as we typically think of tornados. They usually don't do much damage at all.
EF0 tornados can still uproot shallow rooted trees and kill people. An EF0 tornado hit about four blocks from my house last year, the path was about a block wide and although the damage was relatively light, but it still managed to take down a concrete business sign. If a weatherman had been standing across the street, there's no way they'd would be able to dodge it like that guy.

We live just south of Minnehaha and had power drop out for about 15 minutes. Lost a couple young neighborhood trees, nothing huge.

Super windy and now we have tornado warnings. I don't feel unsafe though. Our house is basically a fortress.
Oh cool. I'm off of Citrus Tower. The only thing I'm worried about is a few palm trees near our house. They're getting pretty bendy, though I'm sure they can withstand stronger winds than what we're currently experiencing.

I've never been more ready, scared. I'm stuck in a hospital cause I feared for my grandfather in his house, which he could have stayed cause nothing bad happened. I took pictures of the house and neighborhood thinking how it won't look the same. I feared the aftermath and how long we would be without power, food, water, air conditioning. If there would be a home with a roof.

So yeah I'm damn happy nothing really happened to us. In a few days life resumes as normal and I can worry about stupid shit like leveling up in destiny.

Stay safe central Florida guys, you will have the tough road to recovery.

Eye wall just left the Naples area :) phew

Really worried about Macro Island, :( I had to watch in horror as the eye went right over top of it.....

Storms getting super weak, bay news 9 is predicting a 2 or 1 when it gets to Tampa and heading north up the peninsula, instead of staying west.

Vyrance

My parents house in ft pierce here has water starting to come into the garage. Staying with them, so not sure how bad things are at my house. I fear it's worse at mine

MrNelson

Banned
Storms getting super weak, bay news 9 is predicting a 2 or 1 when it gets to Tampa and heading north up the peninsula, instead of staying west.
Cat 1 or 2 is not "super weak". Yes, it is considerably weaker than what it was a few days ago, but the hurricane force wind field is still huge, and 100 mph winds can still do a lot of damage.

That said, I hope it continues to rapidly weaken before getting near Tampa.

akileese

EF-0 tornados (the dominant type of tornado spawned in a hurricane) aren't as strong as we typically think of tornados. They usually don't do much damage at all.

When I was living in Carrollton, TX, an EF-0 went directly past our complex at 1am. Sirens went off, we got into the bathtub on the inner most structure and you could hear it rip through.

An EF-0 will rip off some shingles on the roof and trash anything that isn't planted firmly into the ground. You're correct in that they don't do a ton of damage, but they still spawn 65-85MPH winds.

An EF-1 is bad enough to completely trash a trailer park, destroy doors/windows, and strip off roofs that aren't built to spec.

I personally would rather be stuck in a situation with a tornado touching down than a Cat 3/4 hurricane having survived both, but frankly, neither are situations that should be trifled with.

Now irma is slightly moving east?! Has there been any other hurricane whose path has been so difficult to determine?

Not that I can recall. Was talking about this with my co-worker who's a certified storm chaser but this storm seems completely unpredictable on an hour to hour basis let alone day by day.

Top Bottom