• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Cat 1 or 2 is not "super weak". Yes, it is considerably weaker than what it was a few days ago, but the hurricane force wind field is still huge, and 100 mph winds can still do a lot of damage.

That said, I hope it continues to rapidly weaken before getting near Tampa.
That's what the metrologists were saying too, my bad. It's still a hurricane and the winds are going to cause some damage. But Tampa Bay isnt going to be utterly ruined, which makes me breathe easy. This city is intensely vulnerable and a cat 3 would be devastating.

manfestival

Glad to hear it will be cat 1 by the time the eye or what's left of it hits Tampa. It's crazy that they are being battered by category 2 wins from that far

So we're in a shelter and they gave us rice and beans to eat

Bro
9728ad4f-4d2c-42d0-8641-34d7b3ff0b24.jpg

witness

Had another flash in Orlando near Maitland and Altamonte. About 5 seconds and heard a noise outside for a few seconds and then it came back on. Not sure what happened. Gusts here are fucking crazy. Can this goddamn thing weaken already!?

bachikarn

I will never understand the people who go on and on about how they "knew" the storm would miss their area and say the media and profesional meteorologists are lying and inciting panic for no reason. They are trying to save lives and it's better to be over reactive vs playing down a hurricane that leads to many lost lives because evacuation orders were late or happened and the media played it off like no big deal.

People really do not understand risk in my experience and how to properly mitigate it.

Cat 1 or 2 is not "super weak". Yes, it is considerably weaker than what it was a few days ago, but the hurricane force wind field is still huge, and 100 mph winds can still do a lot of damage.

That said, I hope it continues to rapidly weaken before getting near Tampa.

Yeah weak hurricane is an oxymoron. Plus, regardless of strength there is still a ton of rain. Flooding is more dangerous than the wind. Even if this thing weakens lets hope it doesn't just stall out somewhere and cause massive flooding as it weakens. Places inland should still be keeping an eye on this.

sflufan

Banned
If I'm in the EOC bunker in Tallahassee and at the end of this I end up with a Category 1 or 2 in the Tampa area, I would go into the bathroom and puke my guts out in relative relief at the totally unimaginable catastrophe that has been narrowly avoided on both coasts.

Gracias, Cuba.

sinkfla87

Rick Scott is apparently here, staying at a sister property hotel. Even he evacuated all the way up here lol. It's like if your governor is where you are, maybe you'll be okay. If you see Jim Cantore popping up in your town... Uh oh.

How's the storm surge in Bonita Springs and Naples? I feel like we know that was the biggest threat, but now that the storm has passed, no one is talking about it?

What horse shit this moron spews.

President Trump said Sunday that the major hurricanes hitting the U.S. are improving the “brand” of the U.S. Coast Guard.

Trump told a reporter that the country has “great people” responding to the massive storms and that “a group that really deserves tremendous credit is the United States Coast Guard," according to a White House pool report.

“What they've done — I mean, they've gone right into that, and you never know. When you go in there, you don't know if you're going to come out. They are really — if you talk about branding, no brand has improved more than the United States Coast Guard,” Trump said.

Trump also praised FEMA as “incredible” as Hurricane Irma made landfall on Florida on Sunday.

Mifune

Mehmber
How's the storm surge in Bonita Springs and Naples? I feel like we know that was the biggest threat, but now that the storm has passed, no one is talking about it?

Naples mayor on MSNBC said the surge threat has passed. It was weaker than expected. Bodes very well for the rest of the state.

Ponn

Banned

My sisters power went out about 6 hours ago. I'm waiting for an update from her and hoping for the best but her last update did not sound good.

Gamerman1

My neighbor texted me to let me know the power went out at my place around 2pm. Looks like it's still out according to FPL. I'll be at the hospital until at least tomorrow evening, so hopefully, it can get sorted out by then. Probably not, but I can dream.

I bet power restoration will average 3-5 days. More for some parts that are hard to get to.

I'm hearing that the storm surge in Naples was weaker than expected. Can anyone confirm? Great news if true.
Yeah they were talking about it on MSNBC. It looks like it peaked at about 5-6' over normal high tide levels and it's going back down now. Really dodged a bullet there - a 15' surge would have been disastrous.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Oviedo, FL here.

Apartment complex borders the fire station so I believe we're on their grid.

Have had the power flicker for about 1 second a few times, no sustained power outage yet.

Any reports on the keys or is it too early to tell?

CNN did a live spot from a bar in Key Largo the other night where the owner insisted he was staying and riding it out in his bar. They returned a little while ago and thankfully he changed his mind because the bar was completely destroyed.

Is it weird that I'm so calm? Like if shit hit the fan now I'd be so calm to gather stuff. I've noticed this too when I've come across sketchy scenarios at nights or when I was hydroplaning down an S winding road. I just remain calm.

Im 35 and I never used to be like this.

Still have power in Tampa but I can hear the wind beating the trees outside. I imagine the power isn't going to hold up for too much longer. A lot of people I know already lost it.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Yeah they were talking about it on MSNBC. It looks like it peaked at about 5-6' over normal high tide levels and it's going back down now. Really dodged a bullet there - a 15' surge would have been disastrous.

Yes weather channel and local news in Naples indicating it's not going to bad - in fact may already be receding. Downtown Naples had about a foot which is about .5 mile from beach so would be extremely unlikely that it would go further inland

Tovarisc

Infrastructure question from outsider.

How much of power lines in US / Florida are dug underground? Like is it common practice or still a lot wire in air?

Just trying to figure out for myself if power outages are mainly from lines coming down or from transformer stations getting fucked up.

kinggroin

Banned
Is it weird that I'm so calm? Like if shit hit the fan now I'd be so calm to gather stuff. I've noticed this too when I've come across sketchy scenarios at nights or when I was hydroplaning down an S winding road. I just remain calm.

Im 35 and I never used to be like this.

I expect nothing less from Archer

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Oviedo, FL here.

Apartment complex borders the fire station so I believe we're on their grid.

Have had the power flicker for about 1 second a few times, no sustained power outage yet.

My girlfriend lives in Oviedo. She said her aunt had some power outages near Aloma/417.

Stay safe.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Right next to Disney, still have power. Winds picking up. Stay safe y'all. We gonna get some pubsubs tomorrow.

Where you at?

These winds are serious right now.

Weather and etc. are saying they're 60MPH? They feel harder than that, imo. :|

Top Bottom