• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Infrastructure question from outsider.

How much of power lines in US / Florida are dug underground? Like is it common practice or still a lot wire in air?

Just trying to figure out for myself if power outages are mainly from lines coming down or from transformer stations getting fucked up.

Varies wildly depending on where in Florida you are

I tired calling my dad earlier, it legit took 30 seconds to hear his phone ring on the other end. He left a voice mail that was all garbled. Tells you how bad cell service is being affected.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Where you at?

These winds are serious right now.

Weather and etc. are saying they're 60MPH? They feel harder than that, imo. :|

My city is called Celebration. There's done wooded areas around us, we heard a boom/crash earlier, we think it might have been a tree.

Snaku

Banned
img_6607fosk6.jpg

US1 Big Pine Key

BumRush

I have family in Marco Island and I'm guessing things aren't looking too good down there??

From spending some time in the island, ANY storm surge seems like it would be devastating.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My city is called Celebration. There's done wooded areas around us, we heard a boom/crash earlier, we think it might have been a tree.

Lol yeah of course I know Celebration, I was at Thai Tani last week.

I'm in Windermere and yeah, these winds are serious.

Anybody have a good live app that's telling you wind speeds?

Well, it's getting nearer to my mother in Trinity / New Port Richie, about 30 miles northwest of Tampa.
As of right now she still has power, she said just heavier winds moving in.

Anyone in that general area who has a good idea of what's going on there?

witness

Is the official track still the eye turning west? Looks like it's coming right at us in Orlando....Power keeps flashing longer and longer now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Well the Florida power grid is definitely better than PRs. I lost it with the first external band haha. Stay safe guys.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Is the official track still the eye turning west? Looks like it's coming right at us in Orlando....Power keeps flashing longer and longer now.

It's not as Westerly as the latest charts showed, but it's going fast and we're just about done with the outer bands.

I have family in Marco Island and I'm guessing things aren't looking too good down there??

From spending some time in the island, ANY storm surge seems like it would be devastating.

Im on Marco now. Flooding over most of Island. Heaviest on South side, near Caxambas Pass. Here are some social media pics ive gathered. Ignore the hyperbole about 4ft of water. That's localized at this time

Attach1966_20170910_204604.jpg

Attach1965_20170910_204604.jpg

Briarios

Gusts are Slowly approaching Tampa 😥

I think we're gonna be lucky -- the last radar loop showed it moving north and almost a bit east ... I think the eyewall is gonna miss; 24 hours ago, it looked like it was coming directly over us or out in the gulf. I'm quite relieved.

Still gonna be dangerous, but less so

That game is amazing. Well, its music is. The gameplay is great...though it is grindy.

Quiet yourself. :p

I love grindy.
Mystic Quest though, no thank you.
Final Fantasy 2(4) would be a much better pick.

Because Phoebe's a badass. It has aged poorly though. So little customization. Great music at least! I'm not using my PS3/4 because I don't want power surges damaging them.

Or, if you're looking for customization, Final Fantasy 5.

As far as power surges, get an Uninterruptible Power Supply for your game systems.
(Obviously doesn't help right now, I know).
Or, play the superior GBA version.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Power has went out twice in the last few minutes and it's now flickering a ton. Get away, Irma! 😷

Cidd

Tampa GAF brace yourselves We started getting wind around 2AM in Broward county and we still are. These wind speed are no joke almost all the trees in my neighborhood are down and the lakes have taken the roads and parking lots..

Tampa GAF brace yourselves We started getting wind around 2AM in Broward county and we still are. These winds speed are no joke almost all the trees in my neighborhood are down and the lakes have taken the roads and parking lots..
Yeah the hurricane force winds are coming over us soon...

jf DOOM

In south Lakeland. It's raining and the wind is kind of blowing but Power has been stable outside of one small surge where it came back on immediately. Somehow my apartment is in some magic area where we don't ever get effected by bad weather. I have friends posting videos on Facebook where the wind and rain look terrible. It's crazy.

I'm a lineman and my crew is headed towards Plant City, Florida tomorrow. Anyone from that area?

I live about 3 miles from Plant City.

Top Bottom