• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

So water is getting into my front door. Is there anything I can do to help stop it? It's not flooding. It's just the rain is pouring straight into the crack at the bottom. I really don't wanna stand here and mop all night.

In front of the door is a 5 inch platform so I know it's not flooding.

If you have a rubber door mat put it over the the bottom part of the door outside.

Infrastructure question from outsider.

How much of power lines in US / Florida are dug underground? Like is it common practice or still a lot wire in air?

Just trying to figure out for myself if power outages are mainly from lines coming down or from transformer stations getting fucked up.

They are really good about cable being underground in my experience,
power not so much. many places will bury it but many don't so it gets screwed for everyone.

Lkr

radarc3suc.png

BumRush

Im on Marco now. Flooding over most of Island. Heaviest on South side, near Caxambas Pass. Here are some social media pics ive gathered. Ignore the hyperbole about 4ft of water. That's localized at this time

Attach1966_20170910_204604.jpg

Attach1965_20170910_204604.jpg

Holy shit, that's awful and only going go get worse...

Thanks for responding. I hope you and your family are well.

Phreaker

Duct tape

Duct tape and plastic sheeting if you got it. Experiment with it. Kept the water from coming in my doors.

Yeah, I've done similar before. I had to tape a trash bag to the door, made it drape across the threshold. Some water still came it, but it helped a lot.

MrNelson

Banned
I saw a news story the storm has been downgraded to a cat 2.

Is that true? Sounds like good news?
It's been Cat 2 for a few hours, but the winds are still over 100 mph, with a huge wind field of those hurricane force winds, spanning a large chunk of the state.

witness

These gusts are really really bad in Orlando. I'm terrified right now with the eye coming at us. When is this thing going to weaken to a 1!?

Edit: Holy fuck that gust was insane!

Ryhian

Orlando here. Winds have been nuts past hour and a half and the brunt of it supposed to be here around 11-1130 through 6am. Still have power fortunately but it's flickered quite a bit. 6" of rain registered today so far.

MrJames

SUMMARY OF 1000 PM EDT...0200 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...27.3N 81.9W
ABOUT 50 MI...80 KM ENE OF FT. MYERS FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...105 MPH...165 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 350 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...948 MB...27.99 INCHES

Track will probably be updated at 11PM.

Steejee

It's been Cat 2 for a few hours, but the winds are still over 100 mph, with a huge wind field of those hurricane force winds, spanning a large chunk of the state.

I feel like that's the thing people don't wrap their heads around - if a Hurricane was just the eye and a bit around it, they yeah dropping to a Cat 2 would mean it's not really a huge deal anymore.

But it's not just that small area, it's the entire state still facing EF1.5 Tornado conditions (sometimes EF2...) with a storm surge swamping coasts all over. The Keys still got mauled, Naples has probably been badly damaged, and Cuba getting it on the nose from a Cat5 are why it wasn't worse. Even as a Cat2 it's going to do billions more in damage and possibly take more lives.

Is it true that it's better to sleep downstairs than upstairs? It feels like your chances of something whipping through your windows and killing you with glass shards is greater downstairs.

Briarios

So water is getting into my front door. Is there anything I can do to help stop it? It's not flooding. It's just the rain is pouring straight into the crack at the bottom. I really don't wanna stand here and mop all night.

In front of the door is a 5 inch platform so I know it's not flooding.

Do you have a yoga mat? You can close it in the door to create a seal

Retro

Is it true that it's better to sleep downstairs than upstairs? It feels like your chances of something whipping through your windows and killing you with glass shards is greater downstairs.

Upstairs is better if flooding is your primary concern, for obvious reasons.

Downstairs is better if wind is your concern because wind-blown debris are more likely to hit you dead on (whereas there's potentially more obstructions on the lower level).

Your best bet is the lowest level, towards the interior of your home and away from windows.

Briarios

Tree just came down in my back yard, literally missed my kitchen window by inches. All I can see is leaves on my patio. If that's the worst I get, I'll be happy ... though, I loved that tree.

Also, 186,000 homes without power in Tampa -- somehow, I still have it ... for now.

Nothing is going to fly through your window and murder you and your house is not going to fly away, relax Orlando. Stay in the first floor away from windows, you'll be fine.

Tree just came down in my back yard, literally missed my kitchen window by inches. All I can see is leaves on my patio. If that's the worst I get, I'll be happy ... though, I loved that tree.

Also, 186,000 homes without power in Tampa -- somehow, I still have it ... for now.

Damn man. Stay safe. You can plant another after the storm. :)

rbanke

Titusville here. It's been steady but not bad. For these winds, my house is fine just noisy. We lost power at 5ish for an hour but it's been on since.

Local news claims their track is most accurate because it's being picked up on their radar finally. I have no idea who to actually trust with this shit though

I like Tom Terry, he's always been good for hurricanes because he doesn't try to oversell danger. He's also right now often than not so I tend to take what he says more seriously.

Someone on TV was saying it's because it gives you more protection from trees/kind going through your roof

Darren870

My city is called Celebration. There's done wooded areas around us, we heard a boom/crash earlier, we think it might have been a tree.

I'm in celebration too. Just really loud and wet here. Sitting around killing time as this thing passes. Animals are freaking out though.

It's best to find a room in the middle of your home, away from windows if possible. As far as which floor, it would depend on how concerned you are about flooding in your specific area.

Already? Jeez I know trees are falling near me for sure now that I hear that

Yeah. I went out and checked it out. It looked fairly water logged and rotted near the base.

It's part of a cropping that divides my place from the neighbor's, though, it's squarely in his property.

He left town already.

Hoping that this was my downed tree and that's it.

These gusts are really really bad in Orlando. I'm terrified right now with the eye coming at us. When is this thing going to weaken to a 1!?

Edit: Holy fuck that gust was insane!

Relax neighbor.

It's a CAT 2 now. But it is still a few hours away from Orlando. These winds are just the bands from the hurricane. It should be CAT 1 by 2 AM.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
NHC track is totally worthless

It's going right up the spine of the state

One of my best friends is in Wauchula and texted me that he's huddled in a hallway with his wife and her family, the eye is about to go over them now

Top Bottom