• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

I would think the wind is stronger the higher it is, right?
But it's like 15 feet - that can't be a significant difference in velocity, right?

Staying away from windows is top priority.
Impossible, unfortunately.

I was hoping upstairs would be better so our 2-year old would be able to sleep in his normal spot, but my wife insists on the downstairs. She tried to make a bed in the closet, but he won't sleep in it because it's too unusual for his routine.

Upstairs is better if flooding is your primary concern, for obvious reasons.

Downstairs is better if wind is your concern because wind-blown debris are more likely to hit you dead on (whereas there's potentially more obstructions on the lower level).

Your best bet is the lowest level, towards the interior of your home and away from windows.
There's the kitchen with a glass sliding door, the living room with windows, and two bedrooms with windows. That's it.

Nothing is going to fly through your window and murder you and your house is not going to fly away, relax Orlando. Stay in the first floor away from windows, you'll be fine.
I just moved to Florida 3 months ago, so I don't know much about hurricanes. :p

It's best to find a room in the middle of your home, away from windows if possible. As far as which floor, it would depend on how concerned you are about flooding in your specific area.
Every room has windows. :(

I live on the second floor and my complex has a thing for windows. The three walls in the living room are just windows.
Ditto on those windows.

Zen Aku

I went outside and put a spare shower curtain underneath the tables and secure it with ropes. it helped stop the water from coming in quite a bit. Almost got knocked off my feet though. These winds are no joke. The two large 70 lbs plant pots in front of my door got knocked down.

Stay up all night checking the news
Hear that it starts to hit the keys
Watch a few streams
Go to sleep
Wake up thinking "ok it must be over now let's check out the damage"
Realize this bitch is still sitting on top of Florida.
It's like the damn size of the state of Florida

Really lucky this thing didn't hit at full strength or land on the other side.

do not trust this man he's attempting to separate the wheat from the chaff

The guy above is acting like if he stays anywhere downstairs glass will rain down on him and cut him to death, it's crazy. Just stay away from windows you will be fine. And also no house that's not made of straw is going to fly away in the Orlando area. Obviously be safe, be secrure but it's pointless to have fears like that.

Get into a room with no windows or the safest window (like a bathroom or even a hallway. If you fear your roof is crap, bring a mattress and barricade yourself with it. You will survive. Generally wind is not what kills people in hurricanes, it's flooding and accidents that happen after.

Briarios

Crap, just heard a thump and went to the kitchen, the tree is now pushing all the way against the window -- all I can see is leaves. Hope it's not still coming down ...

witness

Calmed down here near Maitland the last 15 minutes. I needed a break from my panic attack. I do not remember this shit being so bad during Charlie.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Be cautious of you're checking outside, those winds can kick in any minute. If you must check outside then be quick and be diligent.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Parts of Windermere losing power. Everything lining Overstreet Rd has no power.

Briarios

Normally, I have an unobstructed view to my backyard -- the tree is about 20 feet away:

DJaPp_BXcAACBX2.jpg

Briarios

"HELP ME PLEASE IT'S WINDY AS FUCK OUT HERE"

Help that tree, man!!!

I know, everyone wants out of the storm. In fact, one of our feral cats -- the youngest of the colony outside -- was really confused by the storm. All the other cats disappeared, but he was walking around outside with the winds picking up. I built him a little shelter really quick; I think he's still inside it.

Man, as somebody who has weathered an unreasonable number of hurricanes/tropical storms, I'll never get used to the sound. I can handle everything save that otherworldly screeching/howling/bellowing. It's fucking chilling.

Top Bottom