• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Steel

Banned
My house is an island in the middle of a shitload of water and I'm on the east coast a few miles inland. At least I still have power somehow.

MrJames

Dat windfield

Irma has a very large wind field. Hurricane-force winds extend
outward up to 80 miles (130 km) from the center, and tropical-storm-
force winds extend outward up to 415 miles (665 km)

The estimated minimum central pressure is 952 mb (28.12 inches).

azRP0Wn.gif

My mother's roof just blew off in South Daytona.

I'm a nutcase, she's 9 miles south of me, and I can't do shit.

Was I stupid to tell her to come here immediately? Idk what to do. If the winds are blowing her roof off, it would be stupid to be on the road, what do I do?

You told your mom to go out into a Hurricane that just blew her roof off. You have problems.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Lost power for an hour and a half ago in Lake County. Heard a big ass branch fall down a bit ago.

It's really windy but not "omg I'm going to die" windy right now.

Haha, as I was typing I did get one of those gusts of wind. You could hear it whistling through the cracks of the door.

You told your mom to go out into a Hurricane that just blew her roof off. You have problems.

Fuck you. She was leaving regardless if I said so or not but didn't know where to go, I didn't tell her to go anywhere.

You have the fucking problem.

I am absolutely powerless over the storm, as I am over her stubborn nature.

In Miami. Power came back on for a few minutes over here and then this electrical thingamajig outside started making buzzing noises and lighting up the night sky like it was daytime. Power promptly went out again. What a cocktease. =(

It came back on now and after some initial flickering has been solid for 10 mins. Fingers crossed.

lightus

In Gainesville doing good so far (expectedly for this early in). Plan to lose power but making the most of it by playing Destiny and watching movies.

I've already started hearing branches snapping though which is a bit concerning for how far away the eye is from us.

Piano

Banned
Fuck you. She was leaving regardless if I said so or not but didn't know where to go, I didn't tell her to go anywhere.

You have the fucking problem.

I am absolutely powerless over the storm, as I am over her stubborn nature.
I've read that the best thing to do if the roof goes is to shelter underneath a mattress in an interior room. Mattress can protect pretty well from falling debris.

bman94

Power just came back on, was out since about 9AM this morning, Lauderhill in Broward County. Not much damage but we only got the outer rim of Irma. Street is a little flooded, way too many leaks in my roof and a lot of debris from trees in the road and some wood fences around neighbors houses came off.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
If I live to see that hot beautiful Florida sun, I'm going to remember this night and remember to never complain about how hot a day is.

I feel like I'm reliving Hurricane Sandy all over again.

Power just came back on, was out since about 9AM this morning, Lauderhill in Broward County. Not much damage but we only got the outer rim of Irma. Street is a little flooded, way too many leaks in my roof and a lot of debris from trees in the road and some wood fences around neighbors houses came off.
Word. I'll pass the news along.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
LO00dP2.png

Really damn strong winds out. It'll lull then sound like a jet engine coming

FOX13 is still out, I think their antenna might be destroyed

t hicks

Banned
i cant wait till this all blows over man
enjoy a long ass weekend
get a pub sub
chill hard
just trying to stay Posi
hang in there everyone

Briarios

So, wind is raging, I'm hearing stuff thumping outside - but with rain and darkness, I can't see anything, we've got hours more wind ahead ... and as I'm thinking about what to do tomorrow when the sun comes up the thought hits me: I bet delivery of my copy of Ys will be delayed.

... my priorities are whacked. Stupid brain.

gaiages

Banned
If I live to see that hot beautiful Florida sun, I'm going to remember this night and remember to never complain about how hot a day is.

I feel like I'm reliving Hurricane Sandy all over again.

Screw that it's too hot in Florida to NOT complain about the heat in Florida

Well honestly it's the humidity I complain about but whatever

I personally just wont complain about normal storms anymore >.>

Oh yeah, update--our county is now forcing curfews through Wednesday, which I'm thankful for... that means asshole employers can't really keep their workers too late and have them drive on potentially dangerous roads at night. We drove around a bit earlier to get out of the house because we were getting a little stir crazy and most places were closed, but both the food places my and my SO worked at were still open, because of course they were.

rbanke

Power went out for me in Titusville. Since it's so dark I started looking out side and our oak in the back is going to come down. It's leaning away from the house and I can see a bulge on the ground from the roots. Luckily it has a clear path to fall. At least I have something to look at lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Screw that it's too hot in Florida to NOT complain about the heat in Florida

Well honestly it's the humidity I complain about but whatever

I personally just wont complain about normal storms anymore >.>

Oh yeah, update--our county is now forcing curfews through Wednesday, which I'm thankful for... that means asshole employers can't really keep their workers too late and have them drive on potentially dangerous roads at night. We drove around a bit earlier to get out of the house because we were getting a little stir crazy and most places were closed, but both the food places my and my SO worked at were still open, because of course they were.

The humidity's pretty okay in the Orlando area. Better than NYC, for example. But yeah, over in Tampa and down in Miami, it's rough.

pargonta

when and why did the TS radis like triple ?

armchair meteorologist, but i think when hurricanes dissipate they expand cause the eye isn't holding it together anymore. the bands are basically not connected to the eye and just sorta fan out, moving storms and wind fields outward

J.W.Crazy

I'm near St Augustine and it's been pretty much non-stop wind and rain for the last four hours. There's a tree out back that looks like it's going to topple over every time a strong gust hits. You can see the roots pulling out.

From the looks of things I'm glad I'm not home in Ocala but I'm worried I won't have a home to go back to after this thing is over. I took what I could but there just wasn't room to bring anything beyond the essentials. It's a humbling and demoralizing experience to go through your house deciding what not to try and save. I've had some of my guitars since I was 15. It would be devastating to lose them and they're the least concerning thing right now. Good luck to everyone. We're going to need it.

bengraven

My 75 foot tall pines just went fucking horizontal.

Power is out.

Winds and rain on the tin roof are almost deafening.

Rumbling somewhere.

RoKKeR

Another selfish incoming, but how are things looking for ATL tomorrow? I am taking a flight in that lands at 7:25am... Seems like it'll be fine? They seem to be shutting things down super early, won't even be able to MARTA into town from the airport if I arrive.

bengraven

Weird ass sound just heard from the church next door. Like the "power going on or Trex walking" in Jurassic Park. The house vibrated.

From the looks of things I'm glad I'm not home in Ocala but I'm worried I won't have a home to go back to after this thing is over. I took what I could but there just wasn't room to bring anything beyond the essentials. It's a humbling and demoralizing experience to go through your house deciding what not to try and save. I've had some of my guitars since I was 15. It would be devastating to lose them and they're the least concerning thing right now. Good luck to everyone. We're going to need it.

Friend just live videoed from his apartment off 27 and 200. Power is still on just flickering occasionally. Winds are bad.

bengraven

The creepy part of this is being rural - no street lights for over a mile away, pitch black back yard.

The random ass sounds of cracking and thudding in every direction makes me jump almost every time.

Where are you two?

Keystone Heights. East of GNv. I live on a small half acre just outside city limits. Surrounded by trees for hundreds of yards.

Large branch just slammed into our shed about 30 feet away. Just realized an aluminum porch with thin metal struts isn't the safest place to be right now.

Edit: must have been a transformer making the sound. Power is back on.

Top Bottom