• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Damn. Now I need to stop at publix for a tendie sub. Chopped and tossed in lots of honey mustard with banana peppers.

Milennia

Publix Fried CHICKEN IS GOAT!!!
PCUh98c.jpg

when i lived in florida this was my god

Diablos

So uh I'm going to assume the projections are pretty sound at this point or is there still a decent chance it will miss FL?

Just a reminder, grab disposable plates and silverware.

Last thing you want to do in the sweaty dark is some goddamn dishes. That's if you have power.

IrishNinja

So uh I'm going to assume the projections are pretty sound at this point or is there still a decent chance it will miss FL?

where are you guys getting this stuff
what optimstic projection am i missing, earlier today it was POSSIBLY 200 MPH WINDS THE SIZE OF OHIO, BLAME YOURSELF OR GOD

Briarios

So what should I do for entertainment with no power?

If you're in Tampa and alive after it passes, I have a room full of board games lol

If it comes up through Florida, Tampa will be fine. What I'm terrified of is it going into the gulf then hooking into Tampa Bay -- that would be a nightmare scenario.

III-V

Damn, hopefully it is significantly weakened if it hits

Not much to slow its roll beside mountainous areas in parts of Cuba. At this point, I think there is cause for some alarm. I will never forget the images of devastation from Andrew, and this storm is more powerful.

If you're in Tampa and alive after it passes, I have a room full of board games lol

If it comes up through Florida, Tampa will be fine. What I'm terrified of is it going into the gulf then hooking into Tampa Bay -- that would be a nightmare scenario.
Yes, it will decimate downtown and Palma Ceia areas. I remember a few years back one just skirted 100 miles off the coast and all of Bayshore Boulevard was underwater. People on wave runners going up and down the road because the water was pushed up over the seawall.

Parts of Tampa will be underwater regardless. Glad I bought a truck. If it goes out to water and back in we are screwed.

Bayshore is gonna be gone.

Ristifer

All this talk about Publix and I'm up in Canada...

Haven't been to one since actually being in Orlando six years ago.

Namikaze

So, may as well ask this here...I live about 5-10 minutes from Clearwater Beach...If I stay in Florida during the storm, am I doomed? Honestly. Everyone is freaking out and buying water and stuff, but what if the storm rips the whole state apart?

So, may as well ask this here...I live about 5-10 minutes from Clearwater Beach...If I stay in Florida during the storm, am I doomed? Honestly. Everyone is freaking out and buying water and stuff, but what if the storm rips the whole state apart?

If you are that close to the coast and the hurricane comes by you really should bail to the north.

Lkr

so you're mere miles away from the coast? yeah, go further inland. orlando is a good place to be usually for these things

But if we do experience Irmageddon and survive, and people turn into feral monsters, wouldn't you want to have that 2.5gal of fresh Publix spring water, for only $2.59?

gaiages

Banned
Tallahassee gas stations are running out of gas fast :/ I was trying to get it through my boyfriend's thick ass skull all day that this shit is serious, and he finally got the goddamn point an hour ago, but we had to pay for premium grade gas. Sigh.

I hope the state updates us on office closures and stuff soon, though I understand they don't quite know the trajectory yet. I'm certainly not staying in town to frickin' work if Irma threatens to get close to the panhandle, but it would be nice to know if/when the offices are shutting down. They did shut the government down for Hermine, but they certainly waited until the last minute to do so as the storm hit the night after the closure.

Generate

Banned
Is this actually going to hit Florida directly? I'm looking at the trajectory and it seems like a longshot

Hope everyone in its path keeps safe

The path is misleading. Intense hurricanes want to trend northward into a recurve but the Bermuda high is keeping it down. Where the high erodes over Florida is where it will basically round the corner north. It wont keep going west at that point.

If you're that close to the coast then you should move inland to be safe. If you do, make sure to take any supplies and valuables with you.

Lkr

Tallahassee gas stations are running out of gas fast :/ I was trying to get it through my boyfriend's thick ass skull all day that this shit is serious, and he finally got the goddamn point an hour ago, but we had to pay for premium grade gas. Sigh.

I hope the state updates us on office closures and stuff soon, though I understand they don't quite know the trajectory yet. I'm certainly not staying in town to frickin' work if Irma threatens to get close to the panhandle, but it would be nice to know if/when the offices are shutting down. They did shut the government down for Hermine, but they certainly waited until the last minute to do so as the storm hit the night after the closure.
Should have just waited until tomorrow. Stores and gas stations will continue to resupply until like the day before it hits

Also not sure where to ride this out. East Orlando or west of 95 in Saint augustine. Neither are really a threat for storm surge

Wensih

Yep I'm getting the hell out too if it starts barreling down the coast. My boss didn't know there was a hurricane....

sinkfla87

Okay guys I got it figured out. I'm going to put these up in the same aisles where water is sold in the stores as an efficient distraction, which in turn will buy me a moment of time to secure the water for myself.

tumblr_mqv44oXS0h1qi1oyso1_500.jpg

Game set match.

Top Bottom