• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

https://www.facebook.com/abstvradio/videos/1504360392996513/

Antigua/Barbuda TV station live broadcast - basically the 2 places where the eye is about to hit (thought mostly Barbuda)

Kind of crazy the report is talking about a guy in Green Bay who lost his roof, is under his bed, and needs assistance - and they are going to speak with him live on TV???

Barbuda is the smaller of the two islands: less populated (1,638 there vs. 80,000 on Antigua)

Guy whose roof came off is in a shelter and safe, it seems.

weekev

Banned
My parents are in Boynton Beach 5 miles off the coast.... I've been trying to convince them to evacuate but they refuse to leave... can somebody help me come up with something to say to change their minds?
This is the strongest hurricane in 15 years. Possibly gonna be even stronger. You do NOT want to be in a coastal area when that hits.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Okay guys I got it figured out. I'm going to put these up in the same aisles where water is sold in the stores as an efficient distraction, which in turn will buy me a moment of time to secure the water for myself.

tumblr_mqv44oXS0h1qi1oyso1_500.jpg

Game set match.
Damn ive been out of the country for 6 months. Id do anything for a publixs chicken tender sandwich right now.

With texas pete and ranch. Fuckkk

Retrofluxed

For those of you familiar with South Walton area our little Publix here in Freeport is out of water also. They do have signs posted that they will be receiving a shipment tomorrow.

Chicken tender sub with buffalo = goat

Lee county GAF, what are y'all doing?

Bunker down, leaving north, what's up

Forum checking in. This place floods even with moderate rain. If it's still heading straight for us Thursday afternoon, we are heading to JAX. With the saturated ground from the recent rains, there isn't a whole lot of storage capacity left.

638_Page_1.jpg

I live in South Florida, specifally Broward County, not near the coast. Not sure what to do yet, I could drive up north-west or ride it out.

Xyrmellon

Bayshore has gone underwater since I was a kid and before ... but if it comes in from the gulf and we get a serious storm surge, the whole peninsula area would go under, along with downtown and Tampa General.

That really is a dumb place for a major hospital.

Xyrmellon

No shit. I've been down there running when the waves are splashing over and I've seen it waste deep. My grand parents are on Davis island and have been for almost 60yrs and will be leaving everything behind. It's sad.

I'm a block off of South Westshore blvd myself. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'm thinking if the track doesn't change tomorrow night or Thursday morning they are gonna tell us we have to go.

Breads

Banned
Every Publix ever in multiple states. Fuck my luck.

I'm not talking French bread crusty, but this shit isn't soft like Jersey Mikes or some shit.
Had good ones in Florida and I found good ones here in Atlanta.

For like 15 years straight I was never let down anywhere.

Except for those snooty bitches in Ponte Vedra. That bread was rock hard.

I'm a block off of South Westshore blvd myself. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'm thinking if the track doesn't change tomorrow night or Thursday morning they are gonna tell us we have to go.

Yeah it's bad. My uncle is on the island also and he is a paraplegic along with my great aunt. My uncle and Dad live in Soho less than a half mile from the bayshore. Scared for all of them. They are evacuating but everything they own will most likely be ruined if it goes that way

For renters insurance I guess we need proof. But what's the best way at this point to document things? Like should I take pictures? Will video suffice? Am I destined to be disappointed as they give me pennies for our Ikea couch?

For renters insurance I guess we need proof. But what's the best way at this point to document things? Like should I take pictures? Will video suffice? Am I destined to be disappointed as they give me pennies for our Ikea couch?

Pictures are a good method. Video doesn't hurt. But at least pictures. Pics are just easier to share and send.

I live in South Florida, specifally Broward County, not near the coast. Not sure what to do yet, I could drive up north-west or ride it out.

You do not want to wait until Friday to decide. You should probably leave because it seems like the chances of the eye coming to land is possible.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Latest GFS has it sliding up along the east coast of Florida

Also, there is a crazy guy all excited about the storm on Anitgua standing out in the rain...he is a rock star

This Antigua and Barbuda broadcast is something else, lol. They've even got overly enthusiastic broadcast journalists out in the storm down there. Glad to see it's a universal thing. :D

I know it's morbidly fascinating, but since we are talking about Publix I guess it's okay to bring this up...

We talked earlier in the thread about the theme parks around the state (specifically Disney World), but it's crazy to think how many high-dollar "things" there are waiting to get put in the hurricane's path. It just makes you a little curious what Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale or Lamborghini Miami employees are doing to keep millions of dollars of inventory secure. Shoot, that's a drop in the bucket of things that will potentially be damaged, but still it's just a random late-night thought.

This...based on the latest GFS, unless the Euro completely changes its tune, is going to be a nightmare to forecast IMO. Assuming the GFS is right, 50-100 miles makes a monstrous difference.

Assuming the Euro is right, directionality and exact northerly turn makes a monstrous difference.

I still stand by my earliest statements that anyone in FL should be ready to go, or should just go, just in case. I don't know.

As usual, it all comes down to the almighty Euro in an hour or two.

Latest GFS moved the track more west than the 06Z run. Goes up Florida coast line towards SC and makes landfall.

Average in the Euro's run wanting to go more westerly and I'm guessing our track is pointed to a direct hit on Florida at this time. Where in Florida is hard to say still but I would really think about getting north soon.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This...based on the latest GFS, unless the Euro completely changes its tune, is going to be a nightmare to forecast IMO. Assuming the GFS is right, 50-100 miles makes a monstrous difference.

Assuming the Euro is right, directionality and exact northerly turn makes a monstrous difference.

I still stand by my earliest statements that anyone in FL should be ready to go, or should just go, just in case. I don't know.

Yes, i'm putting shutters up anyway tomorow (i'm in SWFL).
But, fuck it would be nice to know if i'm going to be dealing with Tropical Storm/ Cat 1-2 winds, or the apocalypse.

We were over cautious with Charley (which probably saved the house). It was supposed to go to Tampa, and went over us by Charlotte Harbor instead.

Is that a Publix Service Announcement?

This Publix meme is making my shitty week much better :)

nillapuddin

Forum checking in. This place floods even with moderate rain. If it's still heading straight for us Thursday afternoon, we are heading to JAX. With the saturated ground from the recent rains, there isn't a whole lot of storage capacity left.

638_Page_1.jpg

yeah makes sense, 6mile/colonial and our shit was completely flooded last week or whatever.

playing it by ear also

Xyrmellon

This was the case with Charley. Tampa/St. Pete were told we were doomed, and it made a little hook at the last minute and we barely had rain, much less hurricaine conditions. Although Irma is about double the size of Charley, so impacts will be much grester even if we aren't close to the center.

Blizzard

Banned

Why do people respect the GFS? I saw some other people talking about how the "usually reliable GFS" was way off, and I thought it was kind of funny because it's usually not as accurate as the Euro.

kendrid

Banned
I have family that lives in St. Thomas 6 months out of the year. They are not there now but have many friends who are.

We go every two years and last year we rode horses on the beach. The guy that cares for the horses is staying in their barn during the storm. Hope he will be okay.

hX1B0dT.jpg

Jacksonville/Orange Park peeps.

any of you evacuating?

Just got back in from visiting fam in Ocala. Not sure yet but if it heads this way, I highly doubt I'm sticking around. At first was thinking going to the Carolinas but that could end up being just as bad if not worse. Maybe atl or Tennessee even, got a cousin I've yet to visit since she moved there, and now as good a time as any.

Fill up on gas when you can either way. I'm sure they will supply in the coming days, but I can already tell you between several stations I saw leaving Ocala, and through Middleburg, and the outerparts of OP, I saw a lot of yellow and brown plastic bags over nozzles. The ones still pumping had people filling extra containers 11ish at night.

People ain't playing. Nor should they be. Harvey got people legit shook.

On topic, Publix is arguably the goat. They got good everything, pub subs, cookies, cakes pies, deli meat, cashiers, weight scale, redbox selection etc .

And you CANNOT have an office potluck without Publix fried chicken and/or wings. No bs, like I've NEVER seen it MIA. Nor should it be.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Subscribing for latest updates from projections.

Orange County GAF here. Pretty worried. :|

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This was the case with Charley. Tampa/St. Pete were told we were doomed, and it made a little hook at the last minute and we barely had rain, much less hurricaine conditions. Although Irma is about double the size of Charley, so impacts will be much grester even if we aren't close to the center.

Plus it's not moving at Mach speed.

Top Bottom