• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Wensih

Okay guys I got it figured out. I'm going to put these up in the same aisles where water is sold in the stores as an efficient distraction, which in turn will buy me a moment of time to secure the water for myself.

tumblr_mqv44oXS0h1qi1oyso1_500.jpg

Game set match.

I'd take the lemonade (as well as the sub).

As spongebob said "I don't need water".

Okay guys I got it figured out. I'm going to put these up in the same aisles where water is sold in the stores as an efficient distraction, which in turn will buy me a moment of time to secure the water for myself.

Game set match.

or you can buy big plastic containers and fill them up at home and you get the added bonus of keeping your food.

gaiages

Banned
Should have just waited until tomorrow. Stores and gas stations will continue to resupply until like the day before it hits

Also not sure where to ride this out. East Orlando or west of 95 in Saint augustine. Neither are really a threat for storm surge

True, it was only a couple extra dollars in the end though because it was only a top-off. The extra couple bucks is worth the piece of mind.

I mean I still would have liked to save that money but eh. It helped in proving a point to my SO too lol

Game set match.
Oh shit GAF knows about "the sub".

Might I recommend the boar's head spicy mustard.

God I miss Publix. One of those things where if I could do life over again, I probably would have stayed working with them instead of going to college immediately.

Stocks, retirement, tuition assistance, etc. as a part-timer? But I guess by the time I was going to leave, the management was changing kind of for the worst. And it would have been a bad situation at the location I worked at.

Then of course the PubSubs, fried chicken and hot case in general, clean stores.... My my, can't wait to visit again.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How worried should I be if I'm like 15 mins west of Orlando, pretty much as center as you can be in CFL. I remember Charley and shit was bad, but the worst of it where I was was our pool screen being completely fucked up. This seems like it could be worse and thats terrifying.

Always thought of Orlando as a relative safe spot for a hurricane but actually freaking out over this one.

Also Publix is pretty cool.

How worried should I be if I'm like 15 mins west of I aiOrlando, pretty much as center as you can be in CFL. I remember Charley and shit was bad, but the worst of it where I was was our pool screen being completely fucked up. This seems like it could be worse and thats terrifying.

Always thought of Orlando as a relative safe spot for a hurricane but actually freaking out over this one.

I'm in Miami and driving to Orlando tomorrow. I figure it's better in a hotel there than down here in a Cat 5. If it comes for Orlando hard, I'll just keep driving up . I aint fucking with this storm.

Lkr

How worried should I be if I'm like 15 mins west of Orlando, pretty much as center as you can be in CFL. I remember Charley and shit was bad, but the worst of it where I was was our pool screen being completely fucked up. This seems like it could be worse and thats terrifying.

put it this way: the eye of charley passed over orlando. its more likely it hits literally anywhere else than that exact scenario. orlando is inland, just get your supplies and be prepared, don't buy into the media hype you'll be fine

We're getting the hell out of Miami and driving to my dad's cabin near Atlanta tomorrow. Unfortunately, that meant that all the things I had planned to do Wednesday and Thursday had to be done right fucking now. I'm exhausted and I still need to create a document for work tomorrow, pack clothes, and move stuff away from the floor in case of flooding. I've been going with a tape measure in my living room and measuring where a foot of water would reach...then 2 feet....then 3 feet. That shit is sobering, especially when you're a home owner.

Half the place is boarded up. My dad's coming tomorrow during the day to board up the rest while I'm at work, and then we're leaving when I get out at 3pm. Thank god my sister is coming with us. My niece is a year and a half old and my nephew is three weeks old. Her husband works at MIA, so he's staying here. At least the airport should be safe.

I'm getting more and more convinced that it's no longer if this storm hits us, but how hard it hits us. If the eye hugs the west coast, Miami will get a very bad hurricane while Naples and Fort Myers will be devastated. If it cuts right up the middle or hugs the east coast...I don't want to think about it. My mom and her side of the family are staying here. At least they're out of flood zones.

Tallahassee gas stations are running out of gas fast :/ I was trying to get it through my boyfriend's thick ass skull all day that this shit is serious, and he finally got the goddamn point an hour ago, but we had to pay for premium grade gas. Sigh.

I hope the state updates us on office closures and stuff soon, though I understand they don't quite know the trajectory yet. I'm certainly not staying in town to frickin' work if Irma threatens to get close to the panhandle, but it would be nice to know if/when the offices are shutting down. They did shut the government down for Hermine, but they certainly waited until the last minute to do so as the storm hit the night after the closure.

Wait I still didn't get my gas FUCK.
ALRIGHT TIME TO HEAD OUT RIGHT NOW UGH FREE KNACK 2 MADE ME FORGET

This storm has put me in bit of a bind. As I am doing Online College and next week is the final week for the QTR. I asked my Instructors if I can finish the final Module of the course early.

Noticed a lot of gas stations in Orlando running out of gas for the night. Luckily I filled my car up and a container for the generator. Now just looking to get a little more water. Other than that I think I'm good.

You gotta be careful with those publix subs. I heard a story out of Dunnellon where a guy tried to rob the publix liquor store, but luckily he had a publix sub. The robber shot the clerk, but his sub blocked the bullet, and then he beat the robber half to death with it.

Literally the only bad thing about Publix subs. They MAKE them hard as stones.

You gotta be careful with those publix subs. I heard a story out of Dunnellon where a guy tried to rob the publix liquor store, but luckily he had a publix sub. The robber shot the clerk, but his sub blocked the bullet, and then he beat the robber half to death with it.

You must be going to the only shitty Publix in Florida. My subs always fresh

nah fam. my publix subs are not hard.

With all the fixin's youneed that hard outer skin to serve as a final barrier between you and dinner.

You must be going to the only shitty Publix in Florida. My subs always fresh

Literally every Publix in Lake County, the ones down 27 down into Winter Haven, 192, to St. Cloud, the multiples down toward Orlando... No Publix I've gotten a sub at had soft bread subs. They were always, always hard :/ It might be because I'm not getting them just made.

I've done vendor work in these stores for years, now! Don't get me wrong, they're still delicious, but the bread is never soft :/

Literally every Publix in Lake County, the ones down 27 down into Winter Haven, 192, to St. Cloud, the multiples down toward Orlando... No Publix I've gotten a sub at had soft bread subs. They were always, always hard :/ It might be because I'm not getting them just made.

I've done vendor work in these stores for years, now! Don't get me wrong, they're still delicious, but the bread is never soft :/

Are you getting prepackaged ones? I've had that with ones from the cold case but never fresh made ones. I'm a vendor also in Bradenton/Sarasota and shop at the ones in brandon

Pancho

Qurupancho
I live in Puerto Rico, I have been pretty relaxed but the anxiety has just hit me like a truck :(
I hope it doesn't fuck us up as much.

sinkfla87

Heads up Pensacola GAF:

The new(ish) Publix in downtown Pensacola got a truck shipment in and I was able to get a case of water.

Edit: Apparently we were the last customers of the night, they're closed. If you don't find water by tonight then go there tomorrow at opening.

Briarios

Parts of Tampa will be underwater regardless. Glad I bought a truck. If it goes out to water and back in we are screwed.

Bayshore is gonna be gone.

Bayshore has gone underwater since I was a kid and before ... but if it comes in from the gulf and we get a serious storm surge, the whole peninsula area would go under, along with downtown and Tampa General.

rjc571

Banned
My parents are in Boynton Beach 5 miles off the coast.... I've been trying to convince them to evacuate but they refuse to leave... can somebody help me come up with something to say to change their minds?

My parents are in Boynton Beach 5 miles off the coast.... I've been trying to convince them to evacuate but they refuse to leave... can somebody help me come up with something to say to change their minds?

Ask them to at least plan to evacuate, even if they don't follow-through with it. Have them identify a shelter they can go to.

A lot of people get caught up with "not gonna leave" then 12-24 hours change their minds but with no plan to leave and no knowledge on where to go , find themselves in a lot of trouble.

also as a undergrad working at a climatology center many years ago, people would talk about driving into the path of Cat 1 and Cat 2 hurricanes and setting up monitoring and observations all the time.

No one suggested getting in the way of a Cat 3 or higher, ever.

Top Bottom