• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

I have family that lives in St. Thomas 6 months out of the year. They are not there now but have many friends who are.

We go every two years and last year we rode horses on the beach. The guy that cares for the horses is staying in their barn during the storm. Hope he will be okay.

hX1B0dT.jpg

Really really hope he stays safe along with the horses and doggies.

Poor babies :[

sinkfla87

Whoa whoa, Lionel. There's nothing wrong with wanting to keep these delicious subs in the Publix eye.

I'm going to try to hit Walmart in the morning. I hope there are some lanterns and flashlights still there. Would also like some battery powered fans as it is going to be hot as fuck.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Whoa whoa, Lionel. There's nothing wrong with wanting to keep these delicious subs in the Publix eye.

I'm going to try to hit Walmart in the morning. I hope there are some lanterns and flashlights still there. Would also like some battery powered fans as it is going to be hot as fuck.

Sure as fuck not going to Walmart for their deli.

statham

is this safer then staying in the bathroom? during a tornado? trying to get what ifs if I can't vacate.

park both cars in the garage, chain both cars together, stay in car in event a tornado happens?
any down sides?

weekev

Banned
is this safer then staying in the bathroom? during a tornado? trying to get what ifs if I can't vacate.

park both cars in the garage, chain both cars together, stay in car in event a tornado happens?
any down sides?
How prone is your garage to flooding? Or your town in general?

any down sides?

It all depends on your home, man. Terrible story. I helped my (old) pastor's son move into his beautiful two story house in Cutler Ridge two weeks before Hurricane Andrew. His wife and mother in law had to pull him into the closet he had just told them to run into after a wooden beam smashed his head.

Somehow, it was the only space that survived the storm..their house was literally gone..

____

I live in South Florida, specifally Broward County, not near the coast. Not sure what to do yet, I could drive up north-west or ride it out.

My mom lives in Pembroke Pines and just got impact windows on the entire house. She’s (we’re) getting the fuck outta the state when I get off work tomorrow.

Arcia

Banned
Why do people respect the GFS? I saw some other people talking about how the "usually reliable GFS" was way off, and I thought it was kind of funny because it's usually not as accurate as the Euro.

This is just from my experience watching these models during Harvey, but the GFS was usually one of the models that was the 'worst case scenario' and predicted rainfall totals that seemed ridiculous at the time while other models were more lenient. But Harvey was a weird hurricane and then we pretty much got the worst case scenario... Of course, this is a different storm so it might not be as accurate for this one and these conditions.

I just realized this is probably going to hit St. Thomas really hard tonight. I was just there 3 months ago, and I feel like a Cat 5 would just rip that place apart.

Ponn

Banned

any down sides?

Eat a shitload of Publix chicken first to weigh yourself and the car down.

Slayven

Are forecasts just consolidating? cause every time i check on this after a nap, FL looks like it will get hit harder and harder

seanoff

Cam from St. Barts

Wonder how long that palm tree is going to hold.

From hard experience. If that Palm tree goes, everything else will look like ground zero nuclear weapon site.

palm trees are incredibly hardy, esp when it comes to surviving wind.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...UIESgB&biw=1024&bih=653#imgrc=HUO4yQJOfEPahM:

If you look about a third of the way across from the right there is a palm tree that is ok.

That power pole laying flat is made of 1/2 inch steel plate for the outside parts of the i and about 2 inch steel on the inside cross member.

Pesmerga00

I need to let off some steam. Forgive my ranting.

I will agree that Publix Fried Chicken/ Subs, are god tier.

But them and Albertsons fucked over my Dad. He worked as a manager in the meat department for 25+ years. The store he was currently working at was getting torn-down/rebuilt. Them offering him a job meant he was ineligible for severance pay. The ultimatum he was given was that, he would take a 20% pay cut, and have to drive an extra 30 miles to the new store, or be unemployed. He took the job at Publix, because we couldn't be without insurance (my mom was in the hospital at the time).

Again, sorry for the off topic rant.

Blizzard

Banned
There are people dying right this moment and you idiots are arguing over food?
Who's arguing? It's more like, I'm sitting in the path of a potential cat 5 hurricane hit, and humor about a local grocery store helps me deal with it.

I understand that other people got hit by the hurricane before me, and I sympathize with them and do not mean any offense to them.

sinkfla87

There are people dying right this moment and you idiots are arguing over food?

I've been hit by several major hurricanes as I'm a lifelong Florida resident. A little levity over Publix subs is a coping mechanism for those of us who are actually in the path of Irma. We're trying to have a little fun before if worst case scenario, we won't have much to laugh about for quite a while afterwards. Don't wanna participate then don't but don't judge actual past and potentially future victims for enjoying a distraction while we nervously anticipate our fate.

Albertsons story.

Damn, exact same thing actually happened to my sister. They really fucked a lot of people and their families over.

Trends are good for Florida. But 50-100 miles may make all the difference and that is a very unfortunate truth at this stage of the game since it makes successful planning incredibly difficult. Just have to hope it stays east of the coast.

Machina

Banned
Apparently there has been zero contact from anyone in Barbuda for 3 hours. Internet, shortwave radio, morse code, nothing.

2MF

Here's the important tidbit you need to read (rather than just the image):

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/060854.shtml

NHC said:
The forecast has become more uncertain after 72 h due to
large eastward shifts by the ECMWF, Canadian, and HWRF models
related to forecasts of the mid- to upper-level trough over the
southeastern United States. The bulk of the guidance now calls for
Irma to turn northward between 78W-80W, moving near or over the
Florida east coast or the northwestern Bahamas. The official
forecast has also been shifted eastward, but out of respect for the
previous forecast and the possibility the guidance may shift back
to the west, it lies to the left of the bulk of the guidance. The
forecast now calls for landfall in south Florida between 96-120 h.
Users are reminded to not focus on the exact forecast track,
especially at the longer ranges, since the average NHC track errors
are about 175 and 225 statute miles at days 4 and 5, respectively.

Top Bottom