• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Number_6

Okay, I'm leaving Florida with the wife. Gonna be driving at night. Need all the good podcasts. History, mystery, videogames, etc. I used to listen to Idle Thumbs a bit.

GO!

Lubricus

Okay, I'm leaving Florida with the wife. Gonna be driving at night. Need all the good podcasts. History, mystery, videogames, etc. I used to listen to Idle Thumbs a bit.

GO!

"Presidential" and "Constitutional" podcasts from the Washington Post. History of all the presidents and the constitution (Constitutional is only on episode 4). Highly recommended.

GO!

Haha, yeah the dollop. Check out their newest episode about PT Barnum. I was peeing my pants listening to it last night.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know how anyone uses Twitter without going insane, just glancing at the #barbuda hashtag feed.

You have the random accounts using it to advertise products, hopefully driven by some sort of automated process that detects trending hashtags.

There was someone claiming the highest elevation was 32 feet when it's actually over 140 feet.

weekev

Banned
I don't know how anyone uses Twitter without going insane, just glancing at the #barbuda hashtag feed.

You have the random accounts using it to advertise products, hopefully driven by some sort of automated process that detects trending hashtags.

There was someone claiming the highest elevation was 32 feet when it's actually over 140 feet.
140 feet waves?

Blizzard

Banned
140 feet waves?
Barbuda has 140-foot maximum elevation, much higher than the storm surge. Someone was claiming the storm surge exceeded the maximum elevation.

Of course there might not be shelter on the highest elevation, but it was just an example of random people posting random claims without confirming them.

weekev

Banned
Barbuda has 140-foot maximum elevation, much higher than the storm surge. Someone was claiming the storm surge exceeded the maximum elevation.
Ah right so in Laymans terms someone was claiming Barbuda had essentially been reclaimed by the ocean? Still looks absolutely horrific. Really hope people got out of there.

Makki

Dropped at Walmart this morning in the Daytona area and people were fighting over small cases of water as they were being picked off the pallet the worker was trying to unload.

Black Friday in September over water

Meohsix

Dropped at Walmart this morning in the Daytona area and people were fighting over small cases of water as they were being picked off the pallet the worker was trying to unload.

Black Friday in September over water

That's Daytona in a nutshell.

I'm in Daytona and I'm not expecting much here, but the whole extended fam is scared after Texas and wants to pack up and leave for our farm house in North West bama probably tomorrow sometime. It's a long ass car ride but as long as someone else is driving I guess I'll tag along :p

Kusagari

If Irma completely misses Florida, people here will probably never trust forecasts again.

Which will be a disaster when something does hit.

III-V

If Irma completely misses Florida, people here will probably never trust forecasts again.

People need to consider the accuracy of forecasts 5-7 days out. At 5 days, they are currently typically 200 miles off target. Thats all of Florida from coast to coast. Being ready with a gameplan, supplies and safety is top priority, not weekend plans.

Cptkrush

I dunno, a part of me wants to say that people are aware of how it works, but another part of me believes everyone believes predictions are fact... I mean you just need to look at the GFS vs the Euro and you know we have no idea where this thing is heading yet. I'm leaning more toward the Euro because of its track record, but still this storm could go anywhere.

I will say that the second that thing is tracked to hit Pinellas, my girlfriend and I are out of this state, and potentially for good. Our apartment was built in the 80s so I'm expecting it to be gone if we get a full on cat 4 hurricane. Luckily we have friends in OK that will put us up until we can afford a new place, and I can work from home after my job opens back up, if it opens back up.

If it ends up just hitting us with cat2 or less, we are prepped and ready to hunker down at a family friends house that's built to code. Hopefully it won't be too bad

Kusagari

I dunno, a part of me wants to say that people are aware of how it works, but another part of me believes everyone believes predictions are fact... I mean you just need to look at the GFS vs the Euro and you know we have no idea where this thing is heading yet. I'm leaning more toward the Euro because of its track record, but still this storm could go anywhere.

I will say that the second that thing is tracked to hit Pinellas, my girlfriend and I are out of this state, and potentially for good. Our apartment was built in the 80s so I'm expecting it to be gone if we get a full on cat 4 hurricane. Luckily we have friends in OK that will put us up until we can afford a new place, and I can work from home after my job opens back up, if it opens back up.

People have been getting uber confident for years now with all the storms predicted to hit us after 05 and then nothing really happening. It reached its peak after Matthew last year when all of South Florida basically shut down in preparation and then nothing happen except some Jacksonville coastline getting damage.

Harvey's probably the only reason people here are taking it as seriously as they are. Struck the fear back into people.

Cptkrush

People have been getting uber confident for years now with all the storms predicted to hit us after 05 and then nothing really happening. It reached its peak after Matthew last year when all of South Florida basically shut down in preparation and then nothing happen except some Jacksonville coastline getting damage.

Harvey's probably the only reason people here are taking it as seriously as they are. Struck the fear back into people.
Right, I've been real nonchalant the past few years about it. It's a gut feeling this time that has me worried. I'm sure it's subconsciously related to Harvey, but I find myself thinking about how Katrina panned out more than anything.

tbm24

Well, never hurts to over prepare for a hurricane. Can't imagine being oisser I prepared for the worst and don't actually have to experience it. If this hits, it'll be the first major hurricane to hit Florida while my mother and brother are down there. Sending them as much as I can for provisions since buying water is reaching GoT levels if stupid, according to what I hear that is.

womfalcs3

Banned

I want it to at least graze Florida so it doesn't go into South Carolina at full force. Of course missing both to the east would be ideal.

gaiages

Banned
Anybody in Tally been to the Apalachee Walmart? How are they doing on stock?

Went there yesterday a little early and they were getting slammed. They had canned foods but no water. Granted we went there not for food or water but other supplies (needed a kennel and totes) but I imagine they're going to be low on everything now.

Still though they're supposed to get more supplies throughout the week.

Fuck, I'm hoping everyone is wrong, but that's also a rather cynical view on the situation.

Floridians don't usually take hurricanes seriously, the fact that they are now should be a huge cause for concern.

-

Came into work today and there's whispers that we'll probably be off Friday. Nothing official yet, though. We'll get a region wide e-mail when we do know, at least.

Anybody in Tally been to the Apalachee Walmart? How are they doing on stock?

I went monday (so take with a grain of salt) but they ran out of a lot of water fast. Long lines and people buying baby sized water because there was no other options.

Also Tally-Gaf Blairstone Publix the GOAT, Village Square may be rated higher on every metric but the parking lot is literally the worst out of all the Publix markets so I deduct 50 points for that.

I live in a pretty popular pit stop town in Georgia and we got overrun with people needing gas leaving Florida yesterday. Lots of gas stations ran out of gas. This is gonna get crazy.

Seirith

I don't live in an area that gets hurricanes but it I never understood why people are not prepared for them before they hit? If I lived in Florida, I would ALWAYS have plywood, canned food, water jugs, cat food, clothing, batteries etc stored in plastic water proof totes/boxes and kept current and not expired so that when a hurricane hits I would be ready to go.

soundtest

Banned
I don't live in an area that gets hurricanes but it I never understood why people are not prepared for them before they hit? If I lived in Florida, I would ALWAYS have plywood, canned food, water jugs, cat food, clothing, batteries etc stored in plastic water proof totes/boxes and kept current and not expired so that when a hurricane hits I would be ready to go.
Because that's a lot of shit to have lying around a home for possibly years?

Sushigod7

I live in Florida and before last year it was over 10yrs since we had a major hurricane headed here people forget. I stocked up last week when this thing formed after last summer I don't fuck around.

Krakatoa

Some people don't have the space to store all this stuff.

gaiages

Banned
I went monday (so take with a grain of salt) but they ran out of a lot of water fast. Long lines and people buying baby sized water because there was no other options.

Also Tally-Gaf Blairstone Publix the GOAT, Village Square may be rated higher on every metric but the parking lot is literally the worst out of all the Publix markets so I deduct 50 points for that.

That's the one I live closest to, can confirm :D

That's, uh, good for you?

There's plenty of reasons why people shouldn't, or couldn't, have these things stocked up.

I live in the Panhandle and we get hit by hurricanes so rarely there's no real reason to stock up the way you described. I live in a college town so I really don't expect most residents to have the knowledge or room to stock everything up.

That's, uh, good for you?

There's plenty of reasons why people shouldn't, or couldn't, have these things stocked up.

I live in the Panhandle and we get hit by hurricanes so rarely there's no real reason to stock up the way you described. I live in a college town so I really don't expect most residents to have the knowledge or room to stock everything up.

I get not having food or some of the other things stored but water jugs and batteries should be pretty easy to store.

That is if you can afford them which I know is a factor.

That's the one I live closest to, can confirm :D

Sounds like I have a Southwood neighbor here! Heads up, I went to Gate gas station this morning at 7am and there was no line and all grades were available. I'm not sure if you were already 100% covered on gas but I thought I'd let you know.

I get not having food or some of the other things stored but water jugs and batteries should be pretty easy to store.

That is if you can afford them which I know is a factor.

Batteries agreed, but here in the Panhandle (like she said) we really dont deal with them, plus we have tons of college kids dont have the knowledge about hurricanes. My coworker is from out of town and she went to school here and never dealt with a real hurricane (except Hermine) and she didn't even know the Hurricane was coming until yesterday.

I had to go over a list of items to get and she was still dragging her feet on getting water until I told her " When the Native Floridians are freaking out, you need to freak out". She went last night to finally get some water but she has no canned food or anything still.

I don't know how people plan on leaving the state, when there is gas running out everywhere and the massive lines. Lot of folks running out of gas half way and on the highway.

Top Bottom