• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Why not buy containers and fill them with tap water?

People should be looking to fill their bath tubs with tap water, yes. Containers are fine too.

Not sure why people aren't doing so with basic tap water though, yes. Most of FL has acceptable tap water. Certainly for emergencies.

Currently at a quick Disney stop with the wife and kids on our way back down to SWFL from North Carolina.

Wife is freaking out, but I'm a Florida native.

I have a healthy concern, but these storm shift and change so much, it's still too far out to know where it's headed.

Seems wise to extend that stay for another day or so. Unless you don't mind having to drive back up if need be.

KevinG

Currently at a quick Disney stop with the wife and kids on our way back down to SWFL from North Carolina.

I have a healthy concern, but these storm shift and change so much, it's still too far out to know where it's headed.

And this is why September is perhaps Disney World's lowest month of the year overall. Kids are back at school, there are no major holidays in it other than labor day on Sept 1 and most of all: hurricane season!!

I should risk it some other year and go in September. Those non-summer long lines for rides I yearn for!

geomon

JaIqUCu.gif

The ensemble model have a pretty tight group, showing the eye staying in the ocean.

Feels weird... MCO is crowded.... with people get the hell out of here. I'm in the process of moving to Denver. I really nervous that I'm leaving my family. This hurricane scares me for some reason and I lived here with my family during the 2004 hurricane season. Stay safe everyone!

2MF

New models show it going further east. If it keeps this up FL might dodge it. The Bahamas are going to get wrecked though :(

And if it doesn't keep up, it means parts of the Florida coast get hit directly (Miami) and then another hit elsewhere up the East coast.

Still lots of uncertainty either way.

And if it doesn't keep up, it means parts of the Florida coast get hit directly (Miami) and then another hit elsewhere up the East coast.

Still lots of uncertainty either way.

Yep. Assume the worst, people. Don't expect a choppah to come save your ass. If they tell you to evacuate, GTFO.

Aahh... I work at SL. We got word earlier we'd be close Thur-Sun. Most likely Mon too.

Meanwhile USF has decided nothing, which I'm learning is pretty typical. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if if they scheduled classes around when the eye would be above campus.

JaIqUCu.gif

The ensemble model have a pretty tight group, showing the eye staying in the ocean.

This one leaves off the Euro which has been the most accurately tracking the storm statistically for the last week. FYI, the euro still has a FL hit.

EDIT: Also three of those models run off the same data set, and the NAM isn't good with tropical cyclones at all. Wouldn't look for much solace in that yet but things should be clearer by tomorrow (though I would get out now if you can).

rbanke

People should be looking to fill their bath tubs with tap water, yes. Containers are fine too.

Not sure why people aren't doing so with basic tap water though, yes. Most of FL has acceptable tap water. Certainly for emergencies.

Seems wise to extend that stay for another day or so. Unless you don't mind having to drive back up if need be.

Also when the weather gets really bad, shut off the incoming line to your water heater. It has a faucet on it and will hold 40 gallons (or so depending on your model) of drinkable water. Bottled water should be looked at as something to use if your house become damaged or your away from your home. There are many options for fresh water if your house is ok. (old milk jugs, clean and fill your bath, water heater, coolers, etc)

Right after posting I checked Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie, and Lowe's and came up with nothing. Went to Home Depot and was able to grab 5 24-packs of water.

There's a semi-local Pepsi factory that I need to check with in addition to calling the other companies.

Glad you found some!

3rdman

This is what I did...I went to Home Depot, bought a couple of 2 gallon buckets and lids. Cleaned them thoroughly and filled them with tap water...they are in my fridge right now chilling. :p

I'm in Gainesville, which is probably about as safe as you can get on the peninsula, and we're still having gas stations out of gas and runs on grocery stores all over town. It's feeling very serious with everyone here at work.

Stay safe, Florida GAF.

Another reminder, if you can, get tap water and add an eighth of a teaspoon of standard, unscented bleach to it. You'll be fine drinking it in 30 mins and a good shake as long as it's clear afterwards.

I use a full tea spoon to keep water for a full week, but that is not as drinkable immediately. it's enough to keep it potable by the end of a full week.

Edited to remove autocorrected bad info and replaced with good info.

bachikarn

Another reminder, if you can, get tap water and add a table spoon of standard, unscented bleach to it. You'll be fine drinking it as long as it's clear afterwards. Drink it first, then the sealed stuff you might have gotten.

Why would you need to do that if the tap water has been treated? Are you talking about if the treatment plant goes down during the storm?

The latest GFS model (running now) has shifted west considerably, and also stalled Irma prior to landfall to strengthen. This is a horrible run for Miami...

gfs_mslp_wind_seus_18.png

Again this is a model and need to see where the Euro lands which has been slightly more accurate, but if both show Miami at Day 4, then be prepared.

Another reminder, if you can, get tap water and add a table spoon of standard, unscented bleach to it. You'll be fine drinking it as long as it's clear afterwards. Drink it first, then the sealed stuff you might have gotten.

The epa recommends 1/2 teaspoon for 8 gallons. A tablespoon is a huge amount

Mindlog

Went to a Walmart and publix to get extra stuff and both were out of water
I'm kind of happy to see the rush to stores started a week before possible landfall. People have not been screwing around preparing for this storm. A hurricane is usually just another weekend, but Irma is different.

Good luck man. Stay safe.

Ponn

Banned
These tap water posts confuse me.

I think most of them are just saying if you can't find bottled water at stores use some containers and your own tap water to make a supply of water on your own. It's a good idea and not a bad idea to fill your tub with water before a hurricane hits either. It can come in handy to flush toilets or other emergencies. I also fill up any empty bottles I may have with water and throw some in the freezer. If the power goes out and you lose ac a frozen bottle of water can be your best friend.

gaiages

Banned
lol no one at work is actually working right now, we're all too worried about the hurricane.

Also all you Tally GAFfers that outed yourselves better come to some "I survived bitch" meetup after this *shakes fist* I know you all are out there now!

Grym

Just to help my own curiosity and understanding...

If one drinks tapwater all the time, why would one need to add bleach to tapwater in order to drink it in the aftermath of a hurricane? Is it just due to the few days storage and something contaminating it over time?

Top Bottom