• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

gaiages

Banned
I get not having food or some of the other things stored but water jugs and batteries should be pretty easy to store.

That is if you can afford them which I know is a factor.

That's true for the batteries. Water jugs it depends... if you live in a dorm room or an apartment that's more or less the same size, it would be difficult having more than one or two jugs stored since space would be at a premium.

But yeah the smaller things like batteries and a flashlight and a first aid kit should already be in everyone's place already, because those are important even beyond the emergency of a hurricane.

gaiages

Banned
Sounds like I have a Southwood neighbor here! Heads up, I went to Gate gas station this morning at 7am and there was no line and all grades were available. I'm not sure if you were already 100% covered on gas but I thought I'd let you know.

Thank you for the heads up! We're topped off at the moment but that's good to know, I'll pass the information along to my roommate :)

We don't quite live in Southwood but close enough to it ;)

I went monday (so take with a grain of salt) but they ran out of a lot of water fast. Long lines and people buying baby sized water because there was no other options.

Also Tally-Gaf Blairstone Publix the GOAT, Village Square may be rated higher on every metric but the parking lot is literally the worst out of all the Publix markets so I deduct 50 points for that.
Yep. Work in southwood so I go to this Publix very often.

2MF

If Irma completely misses Florida, people here will probably never trust forecasts again.

Which will be a disaster when something does hit.

The forecasts most people should look at are the ones NHC produces. The cone of uncertainty is clearly shown.

Models are for people who understand what they mean. They can flip back and forth between various long-term solutions for a billion reasons.

Models are currently showing a shift east due to a weaker Bermuda High, and that may be due to Tropical Storm Jose causing a weakness in the western side of the ridge.

People were nervous about Jose, but it'd be impressive if that spares much of Florida from the worst. I'm hoping it does.

Models are currently showing a shift east due to a weaker Bermuda High, and that may be due to Tropical Storm Jose causing a weakness in the western side of the ridge.

People were nervous about Jose, but it'd be impressive if that spares much of Florida from the worst. I'm hoping it does.

The 8am track has it heading directly for Lake Okeechobee. That's a disaster we aren't prepared to deal with.

I went monday (so take with a grain of salt) but they ran out of a lot of water fast. Long lines and people buying baby sized water because there was no other options.

Also Tally-Gaf Blairstone Publix the GOAT, Village Square may be rated higher on every metric but the parking lot is literally the worst out of all the Publix markets so I deduct 50 points for that.

Blairstone is my go-to Publix. It was a disaster last night, though.

I wonder how Club Publix is holding out. Their poor Natty Light and Busch section. 😢

gwarm01

The 8am track has it heading directly for Lake Okeechobee. That's a disaster we aren't prepared to deal with.
I asked in the other thread, but do you have any idea what the water levels are in lake Okeechobee right now? I have been out of the area for a couple years, but I feel like it was almost always at capacity thus necessitating the polluting discharges into various rivers.

I visited the lake on a fishing trip once, and all I could think was how dangerous living below that levee really is.

Gattsu25

Banned
I get not having food or some of the other things stored but water jugs and batteries should be pretty easy to store.

That is if you can afford them which I know is a factor.
My family doesn't have access to clean water (the water out of their tap is brownish and congeals if you let it stand for a few minutes) and the local stores have been picked dry of all water since last Friday.

I'm staying by them for this week (several birthdays, was all arranged in advance) so I'm going to suffer through this hurricane with em and the water sells out when new shipments arrive after 5 minutes. I've even been going to the Walmart at 2-4am every morning since Saturday and the water is always the first thing to go.

This is in the Space Coast region of FL.

Earendil

Forum checking in. This place floods even with moderate rain. If it's still heading straight for us Thursday afternoon, we are heading to JAX. With the saturated ground from the recent rains, there isn't a whole lot of storage capacity left.

638_Page_1.jpg

I fortunate enough to be up in the green area, so I don't have to worry about flooding. Although based on the latest models, the storm surge wouldn't affect Lee County anyway.

Krakatoa

My family doesn't have access to clean water (the water out of their tap is brownish and congeals if you let it stand for a few minutes) and the local stores have been picked dry of all water since last Friday.

I'm staying by them for this week (several birthdays, was all arranged in advance) so I'm going to suffer through this hurricane with em and the water sells out when new shipments arrive after 5 minutes. I've even been going to the Walmart at 2-4am every morning since Saturday and the water is always the first thing to go.

Have you tried calling Nestle, or Arrowhead. They maybe able to deliver some water. Yes I know GAF hates them but in this darkest hour its worth a shot.

AkumaNiko

Man my brother is nervous right now. He lives in Bonita Springs, he might be hightailing it to atlanta for a couple days if it does not get downgraded before it hits florida.

Yes, and the track was even further west yesterday. Cone is bigger now, so we don't know if it'll shift back west, stay the course, or take more of a Matthew track.

Earendil

I asked in the other thread, but do you have any idea what the water levels are in lake Okeechobee right now? I have been out of the area for a couple years, but I feel like it was almost always at capacity thus necessitating the polluting discharges into various rivers.

I visited the lake on a fishing trip once, and all I could think was how dangerous living below that levee really is.

From what I heard, it was at 18 feet over the weekend, but they were planning on draining it down to 15. I don't know if that will be enough though.

Brannon

Reminder to get flood insurance. You know, just in case you live in a hurricane prone state and somehow don't have it yet.

But of course you have flood insurance.

Right?

(This includes the Carolinas as well; do you really wanna take that chance because of a few more dollars for a couple of months?)

Ristifer

If it does curve right and hit the Carolinas like that, would that mean that it stays at its current strength because of its duration over the water? Or would it weaken a bit?

Krakatoa

Reminder to get flood insurance. You know, just in case you live in a hurricane prone state and somehow don't have it yet.

Right?

(This includes the Carolinas as well; do you really wanna take that chance because of a few more dollars for a couple of months?)

I don't think any insurance company will cover you knowing there's a potential hurricane on the way. Or the policy might not take affect until x amount of days...

If it does curve right and hit the Carolinas like that, would that mean that it stays at its current strength because of its duration over the water? Or would it weaken a bit?

Weaken I assume. Matthew weakened and this might brush Florida on the way up which would take away some energy. I am outside Charleston SC.

BriGuy

Right?

Flood insurance for some of those areas can run several hundred dollars a month or more.

Dre3001

Blairstone is my go-to Publix. It was a disaster last night, though.

I wonder how Club Publix is holding out. Their poor Natty Light and Busch section. 😢

Yep. Work in southwood so I go to this Publix very often.

TallyGAF

Does anyone know of stores with Water still available?

I'm close to Mahan village publix and they were cleaned out of water when I went yesterday after work. Same with Walmart.

rbanke

Im over in Titusville and had no problems getting water yesterday, publix was still putting out stacks. Last year I was able to get as much as I needed very late to Mathew from Winn Dixie so keep checking there. If you're close enough, maybe I could check and pick some up for you guys.

EBreda

Do you guys think Miami could be fucked? I've got a sister living there and although she just had all her windows changed to code I'm starting to get anxious over here.

She lives in zip code 33166 btw, Virgina Gardens.

Do you guys think Miami could be fucked? I've got a sister living there and although she just had all her windows changed to code I'm starting to get anxious over here.

If the track holds up, it'd be bad for Miami. I hope the track moves further east with a degrading Bermuda High.

FiggyCal

Banned

Yeah I'm pretty worried about my family in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Flooding can be a real issue.

Models looking slightly better for us but any slight shift and it's a direct hit. Now South Florida is a large area so devistation will be different in different areas like how in Andrew homestead looked like a bomb went off but Kendall was way better (I thankfully was in Kendall). Where ever that eye hits it's going to be catastrophic. Everyone on the beach and the coast, will get flooding no matter what. The city will be a disaster with no chance for help any time soon cause the only way to get people to south Florida is down the peninsula which Irma will ride straight up meaning no one can get in or out for days. If it hits it will be the worst disaster in miami history. I'm terrified.

Lnkn52

Was able to grab gas at 1 am and 6 gallons of water at my Publix at 6:40 a.m. (they opened early).

I must say that the Publix was very organized in the handling of the water. Still shocked that they aren't limiting the number of water per customer though. Some were walking away with 8 gallons of water and 2 -24 packs of water bottles.

jmizzal

The way I see it... If you have the means and will to leave, what would be worse? Leaving your home/life for a few days to a week. Or being there with the chance of your property/home being destroyed?

Depends on what part of FL he is in, if he is in North FL it might not be get hit bad, which is why he said its so far out before he can make a decision, we are not expecting to get strong rain until Sunday.

I wonder how much worse this will be for Orlando compared to Matthew. We were lucky enough last year not to get our power or internet cut in our apartment, but a couple cars in our complex had trees fall on them.

Gattsu25

Banned
Im over in Titusville and had no problems getting water yesterday, publix was still putting out stacks. Last year I was able to get as much as I needed very late to Mathew from Winn Dixie so keep checking there. If you're close enough, maybe I could check and pick some up for you guys.
Right after posting I checked Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie, and Lowe's and came up with nothing. Went to Home Depot and was able to grab 5 24-packs of water.

There's a semi-local Pepsi factory that I need to check with in addition to calling the other companies.

MartyStu

Went there yesterday a little early and they were getting slammed. They had canned foods but no water. Granted we went there not for food or water but other supplies (needed a kennel and totes) but I imagine they're going to be low on everything now.

Still though they're supposed to get more supplies throughout the week.

Fuck, I'm hoping everyone is wrong, but that's also a rather cynical view on the situation.

Floridians don't usually take hurricanes seriously, the fact that they are now should be a huge cause for concern.

-

Came into work today and there's whispers that we'll probably be off Friday. Nothing official yet, though. We'll get a region wide e-mail when we do know, at least.

Thanks. Water is actually something I already have as a matter of course anyway.

just got word that the university I work at in Tampa is closing Thursday-Monday. I might drown, but at least I get a free 5-day weekend.

😅

Ay SoFla-GAF bros.

If it looks like it's going to hit in tomorow's forecasting, GTFO. Don't fuck around. Scott saying to evacuate means don't expect a rescue.

TallyGAF

Does anyone know of stores with Water still available?

I'm close to Mahan village publix and they were cleaned out of water when I went yesterday after work. Same with Walmart.

I'll keep an ear out but to cross a few more off your list, Costco was out and so was Office Depot.

Thought the office supply route would be slick, but other people had that idea, too. A 5-gallon jug would be nice to have around.

I'll keep an ear out but to cross a few more off your list, Costco was out and so was Office Depot.

Thought the office supply route would be slick, but other people had that idea, too. A 5-gallon jug would be nice to have around.

I still say the slickest idea is empty refillable bottles and a faucet-attaching filter like a PUR or Brita.

SomTervo

Have you tried calling Nestle, or Arrowhead. They maybe able to deliver some water. Yes I know GAF hates them but in this darkest hour its worth a shot.

They have disgusting practices but this is absolutely more important. Don't think anyone would disagree.

Top Bottom