• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Just to help my own curiosity and understanding...

If one drinks tapwater all the time, why would one need to add bleach to tapwater in order to drink it in the aftermath of a hurricane? Is it just due to the few days storage and something contaminating it over time?

Treatment plants and pump stations may fail due to damage and flooding can contaminate groundwater sources.

Grym

Treatment plants and pump stations may fail due to damage and flooding can contaminate groundwater sources.

But if you fill containers and bathtubs with tapwater right now, it doesn't need bleach? It is only an issue if you try to drink from the tap after the hurricane?

Another reminder, if you can, get tap water and add a table spoon of standard, unscented bleach to it. You'll be fine drinking it as long as it's clear afterwards. Drink it first, then the sealed stuff you might have gotten.
To be clear, the safe ratio is half a teaspoon of bleach for every 5 gallons.

The latest GFS model (running now) has shifted west considerably, and also stalled Irma prior to landfall to strengthen. This is a horrible run for Miami...

gfs_mslp_wind_seus_18.png

Again this is a model and need to see where the Euro lands which has been slightly more accurate, but if both show Miami at Day 4, then be prepared.
If that right here happens...we're gonna get fucked up. No ifs ands or buts.

Zen Aku

Another reminder, if you can, get tap water and add a table spoon of standard, unscented bleach to it. You'll be fine drinking it as long as it's clear afterwards. Drink it first, then the sealed stuff you might have gotten.
Disregard this post please. Teaspoon not table spoon. That's way too much fucking bleach.

FiggyCal

Banned
I couldn't find water last night, but honestly, 2 dollars for a gallon of ice tea. A little less than that for a gallon of Publix's lemonade. I mean... that's pretty reasonable.

I always took the bleach in tap water thing to be more for ensuring any remaining bacteria is killed from the tub you're putting the water in. Not necessarily to treat the tap water itself since obviously it would be fine on its own.

But stagnant water for a week or more? Yuck. Gimmie dat bleach.

The epa recommends 1/2 teaspoon for 8 gallons. A tablespoon is a huge amount
Generally yes, but this is an emergency and will likely suit for a few days, where it will break down like the chlorine in tap water. Obviously, if your tap water is still good, you should drink that. But if it's not, diluted and broken down bleach will do less damage than no water or contaminated water.

OH shit, over been auto correcting to tablespoon. No ooo, it's TEASPOON. Sorry, on my phone for the past couple days

rhino4evr

If Miami gets a direct category 5 hit we are talking the most expensive hurricane in history without question. The property in Miami and along the east coast is some of the most valuable in the country. It was also have long term effects on the travel industry for years to come.

Can we get a mod or another trustworthy source to compile SoFla contacts for people not evacuating. It looks like I was activated, but I'll be on an island fornthe duration and will be handling our city's emergency plans, and will not be able to coordinate Lee and Collier GAFers

FiggyCal

Banned
Generally yes, but this is an emergency and will likely suit for a few days, where it will break down like the chlorine in tap water. Obviously, if your tap water is still good, you should drink that. But if it's not, diluted and broken down bleach will do less damage than no water or contaminated water.

OH shit, over been auto correcting to tablespoon. No ooo, it's TEASPOON. Sorry, on my phone for the past couple days

Why would the water get contaminated?

You really need to check your posts before posting. People could get really sick if they took that as gospel.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
When's the last time a Category 5 storm had a direct hit on Miami? I'm imagining total devastation.

There have only been 3 category 5 storms to hit the US. Ever

Irma is making Andrew look like a puppy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Andrew_in_Florida

Plenty of hurricanes hit Miami. Hurricanes are huge. Andrew made landfall in Homestead, about 20 miles away from Miami.

Last major (Cat 3+) hurricane to actually make landfall on Miami proper was Hurricane King in 1950, according to wiki

MartyStu

Looks like it is going to miss Tally. Great for me!

Looks like it is going to nail South Florida, particularly places like West Palm Beach.

All my family is there. I am scared for them Gaf.

Already feeling winds and rains here in PR, luckly im on the west edge (aguadilla) so i wont be feeling it as hard the east. Power is already struggleling to stay on.

zethren

Banned
Stay safe, FloridaGAF. I'm in Atlanta and it's looking like we might get some pretty bad hits here too, but probably nothing like Florida...

Already feeling winds and rains here in PR, luckly im on the west edge (aguadilla) so i wont be feeling it as hard the east. Power is already struggleling to stay on.

I'm on the mountainous side of Bayamon and I somehow still have electricity. Usually this kind of rain and wind would have knocked off the power by now. Heard from a friend that the area around San Patricio lost it's light 40 minutes ago.

Spinluck

The direct hit for Andrew was Homestead, which looked like this afterward:

2d245e87732f1e0ec369a6e6b5d1b5ed.jpg

I was nothing but a baby when Andrew hit, and my parents were living in a shitty apartment in South Broward close to Miami. Couldn't imagine what that was like as a parent. They told me they duck taped the windows and hoped for the best, while it sounded like a 100 trains outside were passing by.

Andrew was also remembered for the amount of tornadoes it spawned which I think was in the 20s. Absolutely monstrous.

I'll never forget seeing pics of how it completely flattened Homestead for the first time.

cordy

Banned
Homie lives in West Palm. Told him to get the fuck out.

This is crazy. It's reminding me of when I was a kid in FL and seeing shit about Andrew on TV.

gaiages

Banned
Looks like it is going to miss Tally. Great for me!

Looks like it is going to nail South Florida, particularly places like West Palm Beach.

All my family is there. I am scared for them Gaf.

Yeah we'll probably get some heavy rain but looks like we'll dodge the worst of it.

Fingers crossed it doesn't veer west again, at least.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The latest GFS model (running now) has shifted west considerably, and also stalled Irma prior to landfall to strengthen. This is a horrible run for Miami...

gfs_mslp_wind_seus_18.png

Again this is a model and need to see where the Euro lands which has been slightly more accurate, but if both show Miami at Day 4, then be prepared.

If the GFS holds, that would be a direct hit to Miami at Labor Day Hurricane strength. :O

Top Bottom