• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

AmyS

I have family in Bradenton Florida and I'm worried for them as they're planning to ride it out.

How much danger could that town be in?

Krakatoa

I have family in Bradenton Florida and I'm worried for them as they're planning to ride it out.

Bradenton is just north of me (Sarasota). Its still too early to tell on how much it will hit us. I think by tomorrow evening we should have a better idea.

MrNelson

Banned

As long as the track doesn't shift back west. The most dangerous side of a hurricane is the Northeast side.

lol no one at work is actually working right now, we're all too worried about the hurricane.

Also all you Tally GAFfers that outed yourselves better come to some "I survived bitch" meetup after this *shakes fist* I know you all are out there now!

I for one will show-up. Make the meetup at Fire Betty's so we can all awkwardly play video games next to each other.

geomon

Andrew 1992. landfall was about 20 miles from Miami

EDIT: Devastating indeed

I survived that hurricane. Lived in what was then called Perrine, just north of Cutler Ridge. Which means we took the northern eyewall.

hurricane-andrew.png

10 years old, hiding with my dad in the closet. Pitch black but you could hear and feel everything and it lasted for hours. Legit, that was the only time in my life I thought I was going to die.

I still have the pictures we took and some of what happened to Saga Bay.

edit* Please don't put fucking bleach in your drinking water. I'm filling up empty soda bottles and freezing them. Also, start making as much ice as you can and saving it.

So you could also fill up your washing machine with Water if needed. Or Ice.

You can also store stuff in the dish washer to protect it from water.

Tovarisc

Still no contact with Barbuda after Irma
Antigua hasn't been in contact with Barbuda for nearly six hours, said Sherrod James, deputy director of the National Office of Disaster Services.

“They’re trying to get over there right now. We haven’t established contact with them. We’re trying to get a team over there to see what the status is,” James said.

The tiny island of Barbuda was one of Irma's first targets Wednesday morning. For context: Irma's eye is bigger than the 100-square-mile island.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/06/u...ff1ba0d9986d@livefyre.com&hubRefSrc=permalink

Officials haven’t heard from the tiny island of Barbuda since #Irma struck. It's been 6 hours.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/905478738820964352

Lkr

UCF Alert: Due to Hurricane Irma, all academic programs/classes are cancelled starting Thursday, Sept. 7. Campus will be closed Sept. 8-11. More info ucf.edu

itshappening.gif
Last year UCF waited until the day before Matthew to close

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
UCF Alert: Due to Hurricane Irma, all academic programs/classes are cancelled starting Thursday, Sept. 7. Campus will be closed Sept. 8-11. More info ucf.edu

itshappening.gif

I remember that. Gave faculty/staff pretty much no time to prepare too. Good that they're doing it pre-emptively this time around

itshappening.gif

FGCU is also closed tomorrow and Friday.

soundtest

Banned

you're okay, it's a post Andrew home so it's likely not made of toothpicks like lots of homes pre-andrew. Obviously you should try to cover up the windows and stock up on supplies but the home itself should be mostly okay?

Very fucked. Why or how are you "forced" to wait it out? I'm in Miami and 50/50 chance I head North tomorrow and just collect on renter's insurance when I get back... and I've been through over a dozen hurricanes.

Don't shame him. He might not have any say over where he has to stay during this storm. Some people live with their families.

qcf x2

I'm forced to wait it out in my house in southwest Kendall. How fucked am I if this doesn't weaken and hits us at Cat 5?

Very fucked. Why or how are you "forced" to wait it out? I'm in Miami and 50/50 chance I head North tomorrow and just collect on renter's insurance when I get back... and I've been through over a dozen hurricanes.

2MF

Is it possible for Irma to hit Cat 6?

One reason why this doesn't exist is that it's thought the damage from such a category isn't really much different from a cat 5 (near total destruction).

It would also give people an excuse to ignore lower categories.....

Atlas157

Thanks guys.

Reasons I'd rather not disclose.

geomon

I'm forced to stay in Cutler Bay. I just can't afford the gas money to get out of state. My apartment building was built post-Andrew and is really solid concrete so I should be ok.

I'm forced to stay in Cutler Bay. I just can't afford the gas money to get out of state. My apartment building was built post-Andrew and is really solid concrete so I should be ok.

if it looks on track to go up the east coast of the state, maybe going west to Naples is an option for you?

itshappening.gif
Apparently the plan for the Friday football game is to basically evacuate right after. Likely to Auburn or Vanderbilt. Thinking is UCF could lose power early next week.

I think they're fine playing the game when they are but I kind of think they should close it to the public.

Top Bottom