• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

gaiages

Banned
Just for curious, did most people get off from work on tomorrow or Friday on here?

The state government offices in all of Florida are shutting down Friday. Miami's offices are closing down Thursday and Friday. FSU doesn't have any plans to shut down at all, unless the hurricane shifts westward again.

Anything after that is tentative. I imagine some areas down south will have too much damage to have people come in.

DFW. I know that's probably too far away to predict, I just want to know if it's something worth preparing for

Yeah too early to tell. But I'd expect it, though. And hopefully whatever airline you're flying (assuming American) will work with you if it comes to that. I had to move some flights around flying out of Love on SW and they were super easy to deal with. Southwest offered a cash refund on a non-refundable ticket, rebooking for no price difference within a 14 day window, or just a regular cancellation to get travel funds for a future flight.

One of my friends was taking Spirit into Orlando and they were like we're not going to do anything right now. We'll let you know if we cancel it and we'll go from there was their stance.

The booking agent for Delta in Tampa said that I shouldn't cancel my flight for Sept 8-12 because the weather looks fine. Just thought Tampa GAF would want to know that you're 100% safe.

Edit: sorry, I should've put a "/s" after. I definitely don't believe Delta and I canceled my flight. Tampa might be safe, but too early to tell now...

I know a lot of the focus is on Florida but I have family in Cuba (primarily in Artemisa Province outside of La Habana) and they are preparing for the absolute worst. My cousin works for the government as an industrial/network engineer for municipal infrastructure and the alerts are going out like crazy from the Council of Ministers. Crazy amount of preparation and he's said that the current atmosphere is even more insane than Sandy which was the last big storm that hit.

I hope they'll be fine.:( I have a good deal of family on the island.

This is where I'm at. I think if it keeps the course most are predicting (riding along east coast), we will be 'fine'. By fine, I mean maybe 70 mph winds as opposed to 125+. I'm in a 'D' evacuation zone so I should be ok with water.

All that said I'm making a decision after the 2:00pm advisory tomorrow. I already have a hotel room booked outside of Atlanta. Then that decision will be based on if I will get stuck in traffic or not. I'm not trying to get stranded on the interstate with a Hurricane ripping through.

I'm in an 'E' zone. Definitely keeping an eye on the track though.

gaiages

Banned
I know a lot of the focus is on Florida but I have family in Cuba (primarily in Artemisa Province outside of La Habana) and they are preparing for the absolute worst. My cousin works for the government as an industrial/network engineer for municipal infrastructure and the alerts are going out like crazy from the Council of Ministers. Crazy amount of preparation and he's said that the current atmosphere is even more insane than Sandy which was the last big storm that hit.

I hope they'll be fine.:( I have a good deal of family on the island.

I hope they'll be alright too :(

Bread

Banned
The booking agent for Delta in Tampa said that I shouldn't cancel my flight for Sept 8-12 because the weather looks fine. Just thought Tampa GAF would want to know that you're 100% safe.
200.gif

If Tampa is safe (well, safer) I'm going to tell my family in Miami to evacuate to my sister's house there ASAP.

I think I'll weather the storm in Orlando, though. I have bought all the essentials now, so I should be fine.

Oh I did, I'm a System Administrator and we are supposed to stay till they are finished to power everything off (all servers, switches etc). I told him that this is ridiculous in a very harsh way and that my 64 mother lives alone and I need to take off Friday so that I can board up her windows at her house.

I'm not coming, period.

Yeah man, fuck that noise.

Linkura

My folks live in Port St. Lucie. Seems like they're fucked, right? I still haven't heard plans from them. Worried because they only moved there from MA a few years ago and they weren't too concerned about Matthew, and that might have given them a false sense of security. And they have six children/teenagers between them (mother, brother and his 3 kids/wife, sister and her 3 kids/husband).

dang this is big and great news for that whole region. new thread maybe?

Very much hoping this is sarcasm. If so, lol. If not....

My folks live in Port St. Lucie. Seems like they're fucked, right? I still haven't heard plans from them. Worried because they only moved there from MA a few years ago and they weren't too concerned about Matthew, and that might have given them a false sense of security. And they have six children/teenagers between them (mother, brother and his 3 kids/wife, sister and her 3 kids/husband).

They'll be ok. Calm down "they're fucked" is doing no one any favors. They'll be fine it's going more to the keys.

Linkura

What horeshit is this?!?!?

PSL is VERY much under significant threat. His parents should be evacuating inland.

Sorry, wrote it kinda weird. Not my parents. It's a group of my great aunt and cousins. The whole nuclear family lives there.

For Matthew, my great aunt did evac her mobile home to be with her son's family. And they boarded the windows. There was a voluntary evac and with 2 little toddlers and 4 kids I thought they should have evaced... They got lucky.

Vire

Yeah, better safe than sorry.

I left Hallandale Beach this morning at 4 am, and staying at a resort in Orlando till this blows over.

Stay safe everyone.

Hey we are neighbors! I live right off Hallandale Beach Blvd...

Got any room left in your resort? :) Ahaha

Kusagari

Yes I do know what I'm talking about. My house got torn apart during Andrew and I had no power or water for months. Had to move to Orlando. Building standards are way better than they were back then, plus I've been prepping since Sunday. Not all of us can just get up and leave.

If you're prepping it's fine but you sounded like numerous people I know that still aren't bothering to do anything but buy some water.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Hey we are neighbors! I live right off Hallandale Beach Blvd...

Got any room left in your resort? :) Ahaha

::brofist::

I am off three islands blvd. My wife and I just moved in this week, so this is one hell of an introduction to FL. Resorts/hotels are super cheap right now in Orlando, so I'd definitely recommend it.

Lauren Dobson-Hughes‏Verified account @ldobsonhughes 9m9 minutes ago
More
Replying to @ldobsonhughes
Summary from PM: Barbuda is "totally demolished". Over 90% of structures and roads gone. Sounded like 1,000+ deaths (line was hard to hear)
Christ.:(

Milennia

So what's BrowardGAF doing for this? No one I know is leaving. I'm in Tamarac by Coral Springs fwiw
i lived in coral springs and most of my family lives in broward atm coconut creek area

they are all just hunkering down like usual, the 4 hurricanes i experienced in coral springs were ok, we had next to no damage being in a building and my surrounding area was ok, but this hurricane is obviously not the previous 4 or so

if i still lived there i would probably drive up a bit for at least a day and wait it out someplace safer upstate, only because the threat of a cat 5 scares me, the 4 i sat through were 3 bordering 4 before weakening

one of which i was at a family members house that was doused in shutters and another i stayed at the upper floor of a hospital in the area (mother is a nurse and was working the hurricane shift), that was probably the scariest because i had to drive to a hospital in a hurricane and the fucking car was moving

Vire

::brofist::

I am off three islands blvd. My wife and I just moved in this week, so this is one hell of an introduction to FL. Resorts/hotels are super cheap right now in Orlando, so I'd definitely recommend it.

Oh wow, my girlfriend used to live at Ocean Reef at Three Islands Blvd (near the Walmart). It's a small world.

HOLY FUCK DID SHE GET THAT WRONG!

THIS IS THE ACTUAL STATEMENT:

PM reported total destruction in #Barbuda. Almost 100% of homes totally destroyed #damaged.Vehicles destroyed. One fatality.
Well that's fucking good news then on the fatality side!

(she did not the line was hard to hear)

read the full thread here:

https://twitter.com/ldobsonhughes/status/905529420890460163

Lots of uncertainty on the fatality side with the line being super bad. The entire island has a population of 1,600. The amount of devastation is depressing enough.

Top Bottom