• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

witness

Where in Orlando? If you have a new roof and your house was built after Andrew (bonus points if post-charley) you'll be fine. As long as you're not in a manufactured home, Orlando is far enough inland where you will be safe.

House was built in the mid 80s ☹️. So it's mostly wood, part brick, the wall material around the screened in rear porches and one of the rear sides is different though. Its hard but I'm not too familiar with what it might be made out of. We live off 414 right in the intersection of Orlando, Maitland, and Altamonte, thankfully near the Publix on 436 in fact!

Mouse Cop

4 or 5 at landfall is expected still

Well...fuck. I've stocked up, gotta put up the shutters between today and tomorrow and need gas. Planning on going out around 3am searching for stations with hopefully less line. I'm getting scared, the earlier advisories showed a shift east and I was hoping it would keep going on that track. My roof is in good shape, but it is still from 04, the inspector told me it would last another 5 years. Just closed on my house and finally wired all my stuff through the wall to look pretty. I'm scared my roof will blow away. For those who believe, send prayers down here for us at Miami-Gaf, hopefully tomorrow comes with better news.

Mouse Cop

Nah we've all done multiple hurricanes already. Miami has the hurricane prep thing on lockdown.

We haven't been hit with a storm this strong since when? Andrew? We're definitely one of the better suited cities to handle this event, but these kinds of things can never have enough preparation. I know we had tat Matthew scare last year and it turned out to be nothing, but this can be a serious, detrimental blow. Multiple homes could collapse, especially the older ones by the beach and westchester area. I also worry for the people putting all their faith in their impact windows and not shuttering up. Multiple people on my block have them and think they'll be fine, this will be a bad way to find out those windows limits.

You have no idea what you're talking about and I really hope most of South Florida isn't thinking the same.

Yes I do know what I'm talking about. My house got torn apart during Andrew and I had no power or water for months. Had to move to Orlando. Building standards are way better than they were back then, plus I've been prepping since Sunday. Not all of us can just get up and leave.

cwmartin

Nah we've all done multiple hurricanes already. Miami has the hurricane prep thing on lockdown.

Is there some kind of machismo affect for "beating" a hurricane? I don't get it.

I love my home, but if I was told a CAT 4 hurricane was coming in 3 days I would just bail.

(I realize this is not possible for everyone in Florida or dangerous zones)

TyrantII

Miami / Miami Beach is already flooding with high tides once a month. A 25 foot storm surge and 145-185 mph winds will wipe sections of the city off the map.

People need to GET OUT if the path doesn't change.

soundtest

Banned
Just for curious, did most people get off from work on tomorrow or Friday on here?

I live in Miami but work in Ft Lauderdale and I'm off for the rest of the week when I leave today at 5.

Miami / Miami Beach is already flooding with high tides once a month. A 25 foot storm surge and 145-185 mph winds will wipe sections of the city off the map.

People need to GET OUT if the path doesn't change.

Again, Miami Beach ≠ Miami. Most of what would be affected by flooding in Miami is stuff directly on the bay, but I can't imagine there would be severe flooding further inland in areas like the gables, westchester, doral, etc.

Miami Beach though? Yeah the outlook isn't great for how it would handle this storm.

Nevasleep

Tech support. We're open 24/7 and have international clients. They're supposed to be announcing plans tomorrow but I already said I refused to work during this.
Ahhh. The company I used to work for, their Houston office moved some people and their family to hotels to keep things going during Harvey.

Vire

Man I would be so tempted to tell my boss to go fuck himself.

Oh I did, I'm a System Administrator and we are supposed to stay till they are finished to power everything off (all servers, switches etc). I told him that this is ridiculous in a very harsh way and that my 64 mother lives alone and I need to take off Friday so that I can board up her windows at her house.

I'm not coming, period.

DOWN

Banned
I live in a new apartment building in west Orlando and Matthew didn’t even take down any trees or anything around here so I’m not really worried. I’m also very close to theme parks which notoriously have expedited clean up around their roadways here.

TyrantII

Oh I did, I'm a System Administrator and we are supposed to stay till they are finished to power everything off (all servers, switches etc). I told him, this is ridiculous in a very harsh way and my 64 mother lives alone and I need to take off Friday so that I can board up her windows at her house.

I'm not coming, period.

Yup.

You can get another job. You can't get another life. No 1ups.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I've always wondered for tornados and hurricanes, what happens if your property does get womped? Just an insurance payout? Do you usually make out value wise? Or are you SOL? Is it months of waiting while contractors are swamped?

RedZaraki

Banned
Be real here.

A direct hit means that some of those buildings are going to explode from the pressure and wind.

No amount of "boarding up" will keep you safe inside there.

Need to leave and get to storm shelters.

Piano

Banned
If I'm in Orlando, do I need to board up windows?

I'm renting, and landlord isn't planning on doing anything but said we can if we want. I've got renters insurance, so I guess it's not the biggest deal, but still.

Tampa/Brandon's probably ok for riding this out, with the proper preparations of course, yeah? It seems like we're not going to get it half-as-bad as SoFlo and the East coast will, right?

Mouse Cop

I'm renting, and landlord isn't planning on doing anything but said we can if we want. I've got renters insurance, so I guess it's not the biggest deal, but still.

You should probably board up just for safety purposes I'd say. Does your landlord have shutters? I think Orlando isn't getting directly hit but there will still be a lot of rain and wind. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm staying in Atlanta this weekend, so I should be fine, but I'm worried about my property in Orlando. I'm telling the tenants to board up.

I suppose you could just ask directly. Wouldn't it be a shocking coincidence if these two were landlord/tenant?

TyrantII

I live in Miami but work in Ft Lauderdale and I'm off for the rest of the week when I leave today at 5.

Again, Miami Beach ≠ Miami. Most of what would be affected by flooding in Miami is stuff directly on the bay, but I can't imagine there would be severe flooding further inland in areas like the gables, westchester, doral, etc.

Miami Beach though? Yeah the outlook isn't great for how it would handle this storm.

Please check and don't assume, FEMA website has flood maps where you can check storm surges. The winds and tornadoes that drop are all pure luck. You can be hit, while the house next door is fine.

Miami hasn't had a direct hit from a storm this strong in it's modern history. There's going to be a lot of unknowns.

Lkr

If it's not your property don't worry but how old is the house?
Finding wood at this point is proving difficult and that shit costs money so if your landlord isn't worried I don't think you should worry.

LiK

God yes.

So the Hospital I work for is setting up a Command Center. We will be staying here during the storm to help keep as much as we can up and running. If we can't keep up the Servers/Telecom/Network etc we shift to helping patients and people being brought in for shelter. Families and pets are being brought in too. Basically if the storm doesn't shift more starting Saturday I am living at the hospital until the county clears the roads and the B team relieves us.

We are bringing in Air Mattresses, Video Games for us but also Games and Movies for the kids that end up here during the storm.

1200Z Euro is NOT good for South Florida at all

ecmwf_uv850_vort_seus_5.png

I hope people in south Florida are evacuating at this point. Those who are staying behind for whatever reason, good luck.

Well my Bio 2 professor says he doesn't intend to reschedule our online quiz due Monday but it's usually schoolwide policy to postpone all assignment submissions so we'll see if that holds.

I'm in the same situation, but my class is entirely online so they expect us to finish before the power goes out or something.

Tampa/Brandon's probably ok for riding this out, with the proper preparations of course, yeah? It seems like we're not going to get it half-as-bad as SoFlo and the East coast will, right?

Models shifted west last time they came out, can still shift west more. Better to be safe than sorry, but either way keep watching the forecasts.

Piano

Banned
You should probably board up just for safety purposes I'd say. Does your landlord have shutters? I think Orlando isn't getting directly hit but there will still be a lot of rain and wind. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I'll be evacuating, for what it's worth. Just wondering if I should scramble to find plywood before I go, or just take my valuables with me and hope for the best.

If it's not your property don't worry but how old is the house?
Finding wood at this point is proving difficult and that shit costs money so if your landlord isn't worried I don't think you should worry.

Not sure exactly when it was built, but it's all concrete, they said.

Double D

This is where I'm at. I think if it keeps the course most are predicting (riding along east coast), we will be 'fine'. By fine, I mean maybe 70 mph winds as opposed to 125+. I'm in a 'D' evacuation zone so I should be ok with water.

All that said I'm making a decision after the 2:00pm advisory tomorrow. I already have a hotel room booked outside of Atlanta. Then that decision will be based on if I will get stuck in traffic or not. I'm not trying to get stranded on the interstate with a Hurricane ripping through.

Top Bottom