• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Stupid question, but I wanted to hear gaf's opinion on the matter. I'm in the Kissimmee area and a member of our Dungeons and Dragons group is insisting that we should still meet up at our regular time on Sunday to play some DnD.

I know we're not going to be nearly as affected as other areas, and it probably won't even be near us until late sunday/early monday... but what do you guys think, good idea, or should we cancel it and just be hunkering down and making sure we're all safe and secure?

Just picture the headline if you guys end up dying and once you do you will know you shouldn't.

HOLY SHIT...

DJDml8eWAAAvFuM.jpg

couldn't pay me enough to be a passenger.

but you probably could to fly it. that'd be fucking awesome.

Really sad to hear how much damage Irma is already doing, though at sustained winds of 185mph I can't say anyone is surprised. Irma is kind of terrifying.

I just saw that JetBlue has capped flights out of Florida at $99, so that may be a good option for folks.

safety first!

Strange to see your avatar in here, as Chan Marshall tweeted earlier today that she was evacuating out of Florida. Guess she was there for a show?

Stupid question, but I wanted to hear gaf's opinion on the matter. I'm in the Kissimmee area and a member of our Dungeons and Dragons group is insisting that we should still meet up at our regular time on Sunday to play some DnD.

I know we're not going to be nearly as affected as other areas, and it probably won't even be near us until late sunday/early monday... but what do you guys think, good idea, or should we cancel it and just be hunkering down and making sure we're all safe and secure?

I mean, maybe just think about taking this one weekend off and see how things go? I feel like prioritizing DnD over the strongest hurricane ever recorded is playing into all the worst nerd stereotypes there are.

Just wait to see how it is Sunday. Doesn't seem like a decision that has to be made immediately.

Welp, went to Publix, did what was required.

txOCp6y.jpg

Officially helping to co-opt this thread on behalf of Publix® Super Markets, Inc. and their delicious line of subs, featuring Boar's Head® meats, cheeses and toppings. Starring the buffalo-ranch Chicken Tendeeeeee sub.

Accept no substitutes, southern-GAF.

Have family visiting Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. Anyone know what to expect in that area? Any place I can check to find it? I think it's supposed to be passing through tomorrow.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This thread has convinced me to try out Publix, hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

And if it does, I will be dead soon, so it doesn't matter.

Linkura

Your friend/group member is an idiot.

I just saw that JetBlue has capped flights out of Florida at $99, so that may be a good option for folks.
Another great reason why JetBlue is the best.

The Buffalo chicken tenders sub from Publix is simply the best. Every now and then the footlong is on sale for $5. Stomach busting every time. Sooooo good.

Really sad to hear how much damage Irma is already doing, though at sustained winds of 185mph I can't say anyone is surprised. Irma is kind of terrifying.

Strange to see your avatar in here, as Chan Marshall tweeted earlier today that she was evacuating out of Florida. Guess she was there for a show?

99-159 dollars not bad

Steejee

Looks like a tornado went through.

A Cat 5 Hurricane is basically a reaaaaally big F3 Tornado, so you're not far off.

As a small mercy, it looks like PR isn't going to get a full frontal hit. I imagine it'll still get torn up pretty bad, but a straight on hit could have been far more devastating.

On the flip side, that just means more time in the ocean to maintain strength...

The teacher is something else or probably forced by the school admins?

Also, what the heck is 'American' Math?

See, in America, the greatest common factor is always Texas for every number and group of numbers.

Also we only use Arabic numerals ironically out of contempt for anything that's vaguely foreign.

Except, notably, almost everything we use in day to day life.

It doesn't make sense, it's not supposed to make sense. See, American schools teach you the exact wrong way, so you have an easier time figuring out how to do it the right way. If we show you everything that's WRONG, whatever's left must be right, right?

I got a Publix sub today and got a bone shard in my buffalo chicken tender sub. :(

Tahnit

Banned
Looks like it might barely miss the panhandle so that’s a relief. Stay safe if you are In the path of this monster

Lkr

Is the house you play at sturdy?
I already had to tell my roommate we aren't having a hurricane party after he asked me if he could have friends over after the fact of telling them they could stay at our place. Like Jesus dude at least take it a bit seriously, it's a cat 5 not a tropical storm or cat 1

This thread is really bizarre - heartbreaking pics of hurricane devastation and sandwich discussion. Take it to the publix thread, jeez.

Lkr

This thread is really bizarre - heartbreaking pics of hurricane devastation and sandwich discussion. Take it to the publix thread, jeez.
The publix thread was a spinoff of this thread. This is a Florida specific thread and we have a couple of days until it hits us, so yea

Jesus Christ, that is heartbreaking. I'm honestly blown away that there was only 1 fatality. Most people kept their lives which is the most important thing but still, losing everything you own is just devastating. :(

It's very early yet. I can't imagine there was only one death (though the population is quite small).

Lkr

I am writing a murder mystery that will include the detective, the suspects and an alligator all stuck in a Publix during a Cat 5.

I need to beat Hiaasen to the punch.
Better yet, find an indigenous bird species being threatened by a publix being built. Take that hiaasen

As an actual Floridian, may I star in the film adaptation?

Oh, Florida Man will have a prominent role once I get this thing funded. We'll get Publix to pay for product placement, and name a sandwich after the movie. It'll be phenomenal. Let's all make sure to survive this storm and we'll spend the rest of our lives never wanting for chicken tender subs.

Top Bottom