• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

59ylyUY.png

In the van with the family now. The long trek from Miami to Atlanta (with no hotel stops) begins. I'm going to need to sleep in the back so I can take over the driving in a few hours.

Retro

Is Atlanta really the best place to pick?

I would imagine it beats Miami. Someone in the other thread was just asking recently about Atlanta and apart from tornado outbreaks (most notably from Cindy in '05) and some flooding in Butts County from Alberto, the area doesn't have an awful history dealing with hurricanes. That could always change, but again, it's better than Miami is looking right now.

In the van with the family now. The long trek from Miami to Atlanta (with no hotel stops) begins. I'm going to need to sleep in the back so I can take over the driving in a few hours.

Why Atlanta that could get hit too. Why not Tallahassee or someplace in the panhandle?

Linkura

Man, the 5pm NOAA advisory shows a direct fucking hit on my folks in PSL.... Hoping to hear from them soon about their plans. They should just a take a damn flight up here and visit us.

Zackat

Man, the 5pm NOAA advisory shows a direct fucking hit on my folks in PSL.... Hoping to hear from them soon about their plans. They should just a take a damn flight up here and visit us.
Yep I'm on the treasure coast as well. Doesn't look good.

Aguadilla, northwest, but ever since the big black out, the power has always been sporradic(sp?) here, which is why im surprised and impressed at the AEE (electric company) doing a good job.
Yeah my family is spread out in PR. But it seems my grandma in caguas is without power. Praying she stays safe for now .

Why Atlanta that could get hit too. Why not Tallahassee or someplace in the panhandle?
My dad has a cabin near Atlanta. Even if it goes all the way up to there, I can't imagine it being as strong or stronger as it hitting Miami.

The only downside would be that I'd get stuck up there and miss a day or two of work.

qcf x2

I'm waiting until maybe early Friday morning (as in, like 2AM or something) to decide if I'm staying or going. All depends on which part of South FL is getting hit first, as my destination would be the Tampa area. If it trends west of Miami I'll stay, if it keeps on course for a direct hit I'll take my chances with a cat 2 or whatever further north.

Jigolo

Fuckkkkkk Palm Beach county checking in and looks like I'm staying here with the family. Luckily we're very prepared for the storm. I just bought a brand new car saturday too

2MF

Wouldn't they be above the hurricane? Not actually sure but I assumed plane altitudes ended up being above clouds/storms

The plane would quickly outrun the hurricane anyway, as long as it starts on the outer parts of it and moves away. This hurricane is moving at 10-20 mph, way slower than any plane.

Not sure if it's a good idea to do this though - what if they needed to do an emergency landing some time after take off?

Stupid question, but I wanted to hear gaf's opinion on the matter. I'm in the Kissimmee area and a member of our Dungeons and Dragons group is insisting that we should still meet up at our regular time on Sunday to play some DnD.

I know we're not going to be nearly as affected as other areas, and it probably won't even be near us until late sunday/early monday... but what do you guys think, good idea, or should we cancel it and just be hunkering down and making sure we're all safe and secure?

Stupid question, but I wanted to hear gaf's opinion on the matter. I'm in the Kissimmee area and a member of our Dungeons and Dragons group is insisting that we should still meet up at our regular time on Sunday to play some DnD.

I know we're not going to be nearly as affected as other areas, and it probably won't even be near us until late sunday/early monday... but what do you guys think, good idea, or should we cancel it and just be hunkering down and making sure we're all safe and secure?
Good chance that area is starting to experience at least TS force winds by that time.

Vire

I mean shit... is DnD really that important?

Why not just have everyone come over way early and do a hurricane party throughout the weekend that way no one is traveling through a storm.

Top Bottom