• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Steejee

Comcast "hotspots" are just them allowing people to use their customers' cable modems' wifi without the customer knowing it's happening. One of the first things I do is turn off my modem's wifi when I get a new installation to prevent this from happening. If you don't, you could potentially have your connection ground to a halt from other customers using your bandwidth (I live next to a coffee shop that doesn't have it's own wifi...that's how I figured out why my bandwidth was so terrible).

I guess it's kind of nice of them to temporarily allow non-comcast customers to use their customer's bandwidth to get some hurricane PR... but it's pretty cynical.

Having your router set up as a hotspot should only impact bandwidth if the 'guest' is causing general congestion in the area. The 'guest' wifi has a much lower provisioned throughput than the customer gets, and even if all the available connections to the guest wifi are maxed you should still have your entire pipe available as the paying customer.

I leave my guest on just because I've used other people's and been very thankful for it.

That is a disastrous Euro run for south florida / Miami. I'm just going to come out and say it - I would just remove yourselves from Miami if you are there. Just get out.

I leave my guest on just because I've used other people's and been very thankful for it.

I think leaving guest networks for passersby to use is a nice gesture—but why restrict it to only Comcast customers? That would make me feel like a bit of a shill.

Most routers will let you make open, but still isolated guest networks. Granted, you'd need to buy your own router, but you ought to do that anyway.

Ryuuroden

Ughhh, what if it hits South Florida then bounces out and hits Georgia/South Carolina at Cat 4/5 too and what if it then bounces out again and hits Jersey...... (The first 2 hits is realistic now, with this storm being as ridiculous as it is it wouldn't surprise me if it played skipping stones and hit the upper east coast just for fucks.)

manfestival

its pretty wild to see all of my social media being filled up with friends complaining about not being able to find water as well as gas stations running out of gas. I took an uber to the airport this morning but I am flying out to peru on a trip that was planned for some time.

Looks like UF will be last again this year. They sent out an alert pretty much saying "We're gonna wait and see" earlier.

USF still hasn't made the call yet as far as I know, but UT is closed through Monday, and Hillsborough county schools are closed tomorrow and Friday at least.

FSU hasn't made any announcements yet either. Based on how they handled Hermine last year, they're probably going to wait until the very last moment again. Probably to determine which side of Florida the Hurricane will actually travel.

Ryuuroden

If that happens, our only hope is that it hits as a Cat 3 like I saw in a forecast earlier today and not a Cat 5. There will still be destruction, but hopefully not Andrew-levels of destruction.

well if it hits Miami theres going to be a shitton of blown out glass windows on the tall buildings regardless of strength. I don't think the impact glass will make a difference with this storm.

LiK

I know someone who is in Pureto Rico for vacation but they evacuated people into shelters. Hope she'll be okay.

Lkr

Anyone else evacuating southward on 95? Leaving Saint augustine for east Orlando tonight, I figure I'll be better off there since it's looking more and more likely to ride the east coast. I don't know if people are actually evacuating yet but I imagine if I wait until the weekend, north will be a clogged in all lanes and I'll be the only one going south

BruceCLea

Banned
Don't stay behind. Get out! Good luck Florida GAF. As someone who's experienced a ton of hurricanes I hope things work out for the best.

I know someone who is in Pureto Rico for vacation but they evacuated people into shelters. Hope she'll be okay.

Based on the current radar / track, they will not bear the brunt of the worst of the storm. It won't be pretty, but they won't be going through what some of the other islands have had to endure.

Lkr

I'm sitting in class at UCF and people are just getting up and leaving lol.
Do you know if assignments are postponed by default this year? I know last year everything was extended while campus was closed but I haven't heard anything for this year

Anyone else evacuating southward on 95? Leaving Saint augustine for east Orlando tonight, I figure I'll be better off there since it's looking more and more likely to ride the east coast. I don't know if people are actually evacuating yet but I imagine if I wait until the weekend, north will be a clogged in all lanes and I'll be the only one going south

Lanes heading south after a certain point will be diverted to go north to reduce congestion. How far north those lanes will be diverted will probably depend on how things shake out in the next 24hrs. You might be better off going to Atlanta or something.

witness

Still would rather get out of Orlando on Friday but my wife still thinks it's silly to leave. My dad lives in NOLA so we have a place to go. We don't live in a flood zone, and the owner put a brand new roof on the house last year but we can't board up the windows. I'm freaking out....

GrizzNKev

Banned
Do you know if assignments are postponed by default this year? I know last year everything was extended while campus was closed but I haven't heard anything for this year

Well my Bio 2 professor says he doesn't intend to reschedule our online quiz due Monday but it's usually schoolwide policy to postpone all assignment submissions so we'll see if that holds.

Still would rather get out of Orlando on Friday but my wife still thinks it's silly to leave. We don't live in a flood zone, and the owner put a brand new roof on the house last year but we can't board up the windows. I'm freaking out....

We're all stuck in here together at this point. Tomorrow will be a madhouse on the roads. I am staying put, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who thinks they should leave, despite what floodzones you're in. Stay safe, man!

Well my Bio 2 professor says he doesn't intend to reschedule our online quiz due Monday but it's usually schoolwide policy to postpone all assignment submissions so we'll see if that holds.
Yeah administration will tell the professor to go pound sand and reschedule. Students will make it known.

Ponn

Banned

I would probably wait at least another day for more stable tracks. Yesterday it was going into the gulf, today it's going up the coast. You go to Orlando and tomorrow it's cutting right through central FL. Unless your getting out of Florida completely I'd chill for at least 24 hours and we start to see more consistency on these tracks.

____

Wow....so I work for a major cruise line and due to the storm, we've canceled a few sailings for guest's safety, etc.

They just sent us an e-mail that they're offering that ship now to employees to come onboard for 2 free rooms so we can avoid the storm, up to 8 people. First come first serve, obv. since space is limited.

That's fucking amazing and will save us a TON of money from having to drive 2 cars and book hotels, food, etc. for the family for who knows how many days. Only issue is they're not taking pets, so have to find a home for my dog.

Lkr

I would probably wait at least another day for more stable tracks. Yesterday it was going into the gulf, today it's going up the coast. You go to Orlando and tomorrow it's cutting right through central FL. Unless your getting out of Florida completely I'd chill for at least 24 hours and we start to see more consistency on these tracks.
The thing is, either way I need to get down there to get the property ready. Would like to get all electronics off the ground and whatnot as well just to be safe. I would rather get down there sooner than later in case they stop letting people go south on 95
Still would rather get out of Orlando on Friday but my wife still thinks it's silly to leave. My dad lives in NOLA so we have a place to go. We don't live in a flood zone, and the owner put a brand new roof on the house last year but we can't board up the windows. I'm freaking out....
Where in Orlando? If you have a new roof and your house was built after Andrew (bonus points if post-charley) you'll be fine. As long as you're not in a manufactured home, Orlando is far enough inland where you will be safe.

Wow....so I work for a major cruise line and due to the storm, we've canceled a few sailings for guest's safety, etc.

They just sent us an e-mail that they're offering that ship now to employees to come onboard for 2 free rooms so we can avoid the storm, up to 8 people. First come first serve, obv. since space is limited.

That's fucking amazing and will save us a TON of money from having to drive 2 cars and book hotels, food, etc. for the family for who knows how many days. Only issue is they're not taking pets, so have to find a home for my dog.

That's awesome. Where are they taking the boat?

Vire

If it makes you feel any better, my work decided today to make everyone work till Friday at 4 PM and we are in an evacuation zone.

Top Bottom