• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Akim

Banned
Any update on Orlando? Trying to make a decision on whether to cancel my flight and the information out there is confusing to me.

SomTervo

As the name implies, Delray Beach is on the coast. In fact, parts of Delray Beach are well within Palm Beach County's mandatory evacuation area.

Oh Jesus.

I feel like leaving now is a worse idea? Better be shuttered in a concrete house than running out of fuel on a packed motorway?

Wasn't really going to bring it up but the lead dev of Organ Quarter (VR horror game) who I've been working with closely for a year is in delray beach. Him and the composer are stuck there shuttered in their concrete house.

I'm worried.

Concrete should be OK but the amount of force of the wind sustained for 3-4 hours, depending on how it hits the house, could still be devestating.

Also it's not just the walls, roofs get blown clean off houses, glass windows will bow and shatter due to the extreme pressure changes and debris will become deadly projectiles. After Andrew we had a 40 ft mango tree in our backyard, there were pieces of Spanish tile from roofs lodged into the trunk. Every roof in our neighborhood was shingles.

HOLY SHIT...

DJDml8eWAAAvFuM.jpg

Supposedly Delta flew two empty planes there to try and get people out. That was the second flight. (according to twitter anyway.)

MechDX

Oh Jesus.

I feel like leaving now is a worse idea? Better be shuttered in a concrete house than running out of fuel on a packed motorway?

Hence why Houston did not evac for Harvey. Lesson learned the hard way from Rita. More people died on the road trying to flee than in the actual storm

If you dont have a dwelling that will stand start looking for a shelter nearby. Never hurts to have alternate plans

Anyone know where I could get long distance walkies talkie in soflo? I wanna keep in communication with my parents. They would work right? We're not even 10 miles apart.

seanoff

How housing survives these storms has everything to do with construction.

In the cyclone areas in australia there a extremely high building codes. The roof structures have to be tied into the foundations with steel.

That house maybe concrete but if the roof structure is just sorta sitting on top of the walls. EEEKKKK.

Roof materials also play a huge factor. A metal roof is much better than say shingles.

Windows and doors are a weak point. Cat5 storms are no joke. Even in concrete structures and the noise is EPIC, enough to be really disconcerting.

Also concrete will not save you from storm surge.

Anyone know where I could get long distance walkies talkie in soflo? I wanna keep in communication with my parents. They would work right? We're not even 10 miles apart.

There are walkie talkies with a range of 50 miles, so yea, it would definitely work. Don't know where you would get them in South Florida though.

From what i can tell flooding there isn't the issue so much as the winds/debris

If they are coastal and a storm of this mass comes at them from the right there will be an unbelievable amount of water shoved into the area. It's more than rain. The weight of this massive hurricane is itself sitting on top of the ocean and shoving water ahead of it combined with 170+ mph winds pushing seawater as well.

Iolo

Homes in the Caribbean made out of wood? That seems insane. In Puerto Rico everything is cement cause of how often we get hurricanes and tropical storms.

Everything?

On Culebra, a small, rustic Puerto Rican island east of the main island, José Pérez, the municipality’s director of emergency management, took shelter with about 65 other people at a public high school Wednesday afternoon. Like many people there, he said, he lives in a wooden home.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/us/hurricane-irma-caribbean.html

Makki

Im gonna ride it out. In Daytona/Port Orange Im outside the surge zone on the map and this apartment didnt bat an eye at Matthew. Got food and water and a mini coal grill to cook outside when this heallspawn goes away.
Good luck to the people further south. The roads and hotel price spikes are gonna suck for everyone if this thing doesnt change course.

ionitron

Genuinely concerned here. I work at an old school in Miami-dade that already has roof problems as it is. I also live in Broward and my house's roof is pretty old :( Pray for us Gaf.

How housing survives these storms has everything to do with construction.

In the cyclone areas in australia there a extremely high building codes. The roof structures have to be tied into the foundations with steel.

That house maybe concrete but if the roof structure is just sorta sitting on top of the walls. EEEKKKK.

Roof materials also play a huge factor. A metal roof is much better than say shingles.

Windows and doors are a weak point. Cat5 storms are no joke. Even in concrete structures and the noise is EPIC, enough to be really disconcerting.

Also concrete will not save you from storm surge.

Building codes for SoFLA have been updated since 92 and 04, but whether they can remotely stand against a Cat 5 or 4 is still left to be seen. I'd be more worried about flooding, particularly around the Miami area.

Redmoon

My sister and 6-year old niece live in the red area. She refuses to leave; says she feels silly "overreacting" because she's used to living in places with tornado warnings.

What do I tell her, GAF?

These things at this level spawn random tornadoes so you wont even get a warning like you do in tornado prone areas. The hurricane force wind/eye wall zones would probably be like a long lasting F2 wind/debris wise(based off its current power) as well.

With thing thing, its definitely not an overreaction .

My sister and 6-year old niece live in the red area. She refuses to leave; says she feels silly "overreacting" because she's used to living in places with tornado warnings.

What do I tell her, GAF?
That her child if her daughter dies, you hope she lives so she could forever feel the regret of getting her child killed.

Retro

What do I tell her, GAF?

"Imagine the worst thunderstorm you've ever been in. Now imagine worse than that. Now imagine it lasts an entire day; non-stop wind, non-stop rain, non-stop tornadoes. Get out now."

Ponn

Banned
Stores are selling out of generators, one home depot sold 180 in one day. I'm waiting for the news after the hurricane of someone carbon monoxiding themselves by keeping it in the house.

ibyea

Banned

What do I tell her, GAF?

First of all, hurricane are a hell of a lot bigger than tornadoes. Secondly, it's not just wind damage, it's flooding also. Thirdly, when this hurricane reaches Florida, it's going to be at least cat 4, enough to mess up anyone's home.

Building codes for SoFLA have been updated since 92 and 04, but whether they can remotely stand against a Cat 5 or 4 is still left to be seen. I'd be more worried about flooding, particularly around the Miami area.

FL Building Code is only designed for 170mph gusts of 3 seconds. Only ~150mph sustained. Good enough for anything but this type of monster. Either way, it's better we've had them for 25 years, than not.

What do I tell her, GAF?

This isn't a tornado, when it hits there is no lull, there is no breathing room. The winds are sustained at those speeds. Plus it is going to damage enough of an area that if you need help it won't be coming for maybe days. Things like live power lines on the ground and debris in the road could stop her from getting out after as well. No upside to staying, there may be looters and no police to call, fires and no one to come to put it out.

GYODX

Worst-case scenario of 6 months without power not looking likely in PR, thankfully.

Things have been incredibly calm here in the northwest.

What do I tell her, GAF?

Ask her how tall the niece is, for a proper casket.

Crude, but gets the point across.

What's the latest we think people can drive out and expect to get out of the state before hell nips their heels?

Looks like it won't be in Miami until Late Saturday or early Sunday and it's going like 25-35mph, right? If Friday night realistic?

I don't live in Florida but I'm curious how my house would survive one of these. Straight up concrete, built into the ground, grass roof with 3 feet of dirt then a concrete slab and steel beams.

I know it's not common down there, but it seems like it should be.

Heroman

Banned
I don't live in Florida but I'm curious how my house would survive one of these. Straight up concrete, built into the ground, grass roof with 3 feet of dirt then a concrete slab and steel beams.

Your house would "survive" but the water would destroy it.

So you live underground?

MrNelson

Banned

What do I tell her, GAF?
You show her these pictures, tell her Andrew did that, and that this storm is far more powerful than it.

Hurricane_andrew_fema_2563.jpg

ap9208251786.jpg

andrew-u-haul.jpg

Roof pitch and soffit integrity is an integral part of structural survivability. I was told by FEMA Building Sciences engineers that extreme roof angles and a globe at the apex of the roof actually provides very little surface area to attack. But if your soffits get smashed, your roof is probably going to have catastrophic failure, despite the materials or build-quality.

This isn't a tornado, when it hits there is no lull, there is no breathing room. The winds are sustained at those speeds. Plus it is going to damage enough of an area that if you need help it won't be coming for maybe days. Things like live power lines on the ground and debris in the road could stop her from getting out after as well. No upside to staying, there may be looters and no police to call, fires and no one to come to put it out.

First of all, hurricane are a hell of a lot bigger than tornadoes. Secondly, it's not just wind damage, it's flooding also. Thirdly, when this hurricane reaches Florida, it's going to be at least cat 4, enough to mess up anyone's home.
This, plus you better believe that if we could predict the path of a tornado days in advance people would get the hell out of the way of those, too. The two things aren't really comparable at all. A tornado could hit some houses down the road and totally spare yours. A hurricane will fuck up the entire area. Now, depending on her precise location and situation you could argue that evacuating isn't necessary, but it has literally nothing to do with living through tornado warnings.

JaseMath

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Talked with my sister—going to see about getting her and my niece plane tickets out of there tomorrow.

There is a not-insignificant chance that the eye will bounce right up the east coast. This would be very bad for Jax.

Also, for people looking to evacuate North, I'm in Gainesville and tonight a coworker said he hopped on I 75 for a few miles just to get around town and it was a "parking lot." This couple miles took him forever, like maybe an hour. Food for thought.

Stay safe, play it smart Florida GAF.

Top Bottom