• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

I live in South Florida, my company is giving us money to leave, but I can't find any flights. I'll either have to drive or stay in my apartment.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I live in Broward County, so it's a bit stressful right now. I live a bit inland in a 2nd floor condo with hurricane shutters, so hopefully everything holds up ok. I work at a hospital, so I'll likely be there throughout the weekend. I just hate not knowing what's going on at home.

75 is jam packed around the Pike/Ocala. Looks decent otherwise. 95 doesn't show much traffic on G Maps.

In Laws heading up from Palm Coast early tomorrow. Savannah evacuating as well.

MrNelson

Banned
Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Talked with my sister—going to see about getting her and my niece plane tickets out of there tomorrow.
Good, hopefully flights are still running and you can get a decent price on a ticket. There were some people I work with here in Tampa that were looking at flights out and they were running over $600 to get out.
75 is jam packed around the Pike/Ocala. Looks decent otherwise.
Surprisingly, that is entirely normal.

Rixxan

What's the latest we think people can drive out and expect to get out of the state before hell nips their heels?

Looks like it won't be in Miami until Late Saturday or early Sunday and it's going like 25-35mph, right? If Friday night realistic?

Looking at traffic patterns right now nothing looks too crazy

That being said I'm getting out of here tomorrow night - not gonna risk being on the road Friday afternoon

Kusagari

That being said I'm getting out of here tomorrow night - not gonna risk being on the road Friday afternoon

Yeah, if you're planning to leave I'd do it by tomorrow night. The roads WILL be insane Friday and you don't want to be stuck there with a Cat 4/5 incoming.

I live in Broward County, so it's a bit stressful right now. I live a bit inland in a 2nd floor condo with hurricane shutters, so hopefully everything holds up ok. I work at a hospital, so I'll likely be there throughout the weekend. I just hate not knowing what's going on at home.

where are you parking your car

Yea I was looking at traffic now too. It's super reasonable right now, but it's just Wednesday. Hopefully people remember how to drive and don't get into a bunch of accidents that fuck everyone over.

Trying to convince some family that it's time to pack it the fuck up.

My sister and 6-year old niece live in the red area. She refuses to leave; says she feels silly "overreacting" because she's used to living in places with tornado warnings.

What do I tell her, GAF?
Tornadoes are more narrow
They don't stay overhead and wreck shit for an hour
Leave
Really leave
Going to be much worse leaving after
Stop being cocky

-from someone in Oklahoma

zulux21

I live in South Florida, my company is giving us money to leave, but I can't find any flights. I'll either have to drive or stay in my apartment.

ooh I can ask you since you want to fly... Why?

Why would you want to fly out instead of drive out.
if you fly you can only take a suitcase worth of stuff with you and you leave your car behind to potentially get destroyed.

if you drive, you can fill your car with stuff like your important electronics, and other important papers and what not and get to save your car, and it's much cheaper.

beyond that if you fly you have to try to time some sort of return trip which depending on how much damage the airports sustain could be tricky, while if you drive you could just drive back home when it's clear to do so.

I mean driving you could run the risk of running out of gas I suppose, but if you leave within the next 24 hours I wouldn't imagine it would be a huge deal. If you waited much longer than that though I imagine you run the risk of being trapped in your car though.

ooh I can ask you since you want to fly... Why?

Why would you want to fly out instead of drive out.
if you fly you can only take a suitcase worth of stuff with you and you leave your car behind to potentially get destroyed.

if you drive, you can fill your car with stuff like your important electronics, and other important papers and what not and get to save your car, and it's much cheaper.

beyond that if you fly you have to try to time some sort of return trip which depending on how much damage the airports sustain could be tricky, while if you drive you could just drive back home when it's clear to do so.

I mean driving you could run the risk of running out of gas I suppose, but if you leave within the next 24 hours I wouldn't imagine it would be a huge deal. If you waited much longer than that though I imagine you run the risk of being trapped in your car though.
1.) If you have car insurance in Florida, you're covered from whatever happens.

2.) You can fly round trip for about $200. Or could have if you bought tickets earlier today. Gas say...up to Atlanta and back would be at least $150, and that's if you get fairly good gas mileage.

3.) Not everyone is up for driving 8-14 hours. Physically or mentally. People fall asleep. People have knee and circulation issues.

4.) The same trip that will take you 8-14 hours to drive would require 1-1.5 hours via plane.

5.) No risk of being stuck on the highway or somewhere in the state out of gas with nowhere to fill up and nowhere to take shelter.

6.) You can always replace stuff.

zulux21

1.) If you have car insurance in Florida, you're covered from whatever happens.

2.) You can fly round trip for about $200. Or could have if you bought tickets earlier today. Gas say...up to Atlanta and back would be at least $150, and that's if you get fairly good gas mileage.

3.) Not everyone is up for driving 8-14 hours. Physically or mentally. People fall asleep. People have knee and circulation issues.

4.) The same trip that will take you 8-14 hours to drive would require 1-1.5 hours via plane.

5.) No risk of being stuck on the highway or somewhere in the state out of gas with nowhere to fill up and nowhere to take shelter.

6.) You can always replace stuff.

1. I take it that is a special thing for florida as I know at least around here the basic insurance won't cover any storm damage.

2. flights must be much cheaper down there than up here in the midwest. any short booking flight like this would run like $200 each way.

3. I mean I am one of those people that can't drive long distances, that is why after the first hour I find some place to stop and walk around for 20-30 minutes.

4. 1.5 hours in air, but you still would need to account for like the 3 hours you need to be there before hand and the hour after and hope in the mess they don't lose your luggage. plus you would have to deal with the horrid crowds.

5/6 absolutely true.

I suppose I just am not a huge fan of airports and their cost, and while I could replace stuff there are plenty of things I wouldn't want to replace, or that are rare enough that any insurance money wouldn't get close to replacing them. It just seems weird to fly out to me when I could instead just plan a road trip to a friends house.

Have a nice neighbor look out for your place. My dad is taking care of his friends condo that is 35 feet away from his. Dad already installed the storm shudders on his condo while he's up in Massachusetts.

Yeah I see the good and bad of starting to drive now. I don't want to be stuck on the highway without gas mid trip, but I don't want to wait for Irma either. I got shutters on all my windows, and our building is made of concrete.

Really dying to know what the path is going to look like tomorrow.

Rixxan

Yeah I see the good and bad of starting to drive now. I don't want to be stuck on the highway without gas mid trip, but I don't want to wait for Irma either. I got shutters on all my windows, and our building is made of concrete.

Really dying to know what the path is going to look like tomorrow.

I'd be interested in knowing how insane the rest stops along the Florida turnpike are - in terms of gas availability and queue

If I'm going tomorrow I'm gonna take 27

Do you have lockers with locks on anything higher than the second floor of your hospital or do you park in a parking garage high off the ground? If so take your important documents and sentimental items with you and keep them in your locker or car. If your hospital can't hold up your apartment surely won't.

Been watching the storm, the roof could be torn off because of the way the second floor is built with wood. Bought a carrying case for my Switch, and going to pack my valuables before the storm and keep them downstairs. We're plenty stocked on water and food, got a generator, and had to help my Dad move stuff. He considered flying out, but I guess it going down to Cat 4 convinced him to ride it out.

My last shift at Walmart was pretty crazy, took until today for people to actually start stocking in my area (Broward). Lots of ignorant shoppers, spent the whole day stocking yogurt that nobody is going to buy since we're completely OUT of milk and juice. Small lines for water throughout the day, they did a good job managing water and kept some for spare towards the end. Management even let us buy water not yet in stock.

I'll admit I wasn't expecting it to hit us, but hopefully it winds down to a Cat 4 and weakens because it seems we're going to hit much worse than Northerners. Be safe fellow FloridaGAFfers. Also, chicken tender sub best sub.

Telling people to leave South Florida is not so simple, one of the biggest problems people are having is lack of gasoline, and they are getting stuck in traffic. You can drive a few hours North but you will need to refill and many stations are empty now, folks are getting stuck in Central and North FL with nowhere to go or being forced to stop due to fuel. If you don't have a supply of gas, drive North is a risk

Rixxan

Telling people to leave South Florida is not so simple, one of the biggest problems people are having is lack of gasoline, and they are getting stuck in traffic. You can drive a few hours North but you will need to refill and many stations are empty now, folks are getting stuck in Central and North FL with nowhere to go or being forced to stop due to fuel. If you don't have a supply of gas, drive North is a risk

I haven't seen any reports of this? Can you link them?

Kusagari

post-20184-1504755093_thumb.png

And who knows when it will weaken.

Atlas157

I have to ask this again since sometimes I get way too paranoid.

My house will still stand after this right? It's post Andrew (built in 1995) and it's concrete and steel.

Link

The Autumn Wind
where are you parking your car
In the hospital parking garage, thank god. Probably the safest place for it.

Have a nice neighbor look out for your place. My dad is taking care of his friends condo that is 35 feet away from his. Dad already installed the storm shudders on his condo while he's up in Massachusetts.
I'm trying to get a friend to stay at my place while I'm away, but she may want to stay with her parents. She's going to let me know by Friday.

Do you have lockers with locks on anything higher than the second floor of your hospital or do you park in a parking garage high off the ground? If so take your important documents and sentimental items with you and keep them in your locker or car. If your hospital can't hold up your apartment surely won't.
I work in the ER on the first floor, but I may keep a few things in my car, since I'll be parked on at least the third level of the garage.

zulux21

I have to ask this again since sometimes I get way too paranoid.

My house will still stand after this right? It's post Andrew (built in 1995) and it's concrete and steel.

I mean, how can anyone know?

I mean the storm is strong, and there could be an inperfection in your house that the storm causes your house to fail.

or it could be perfectly fine.

I mean there are plenty of things that are really strong that if you hit them just right they break.

for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkPPkDwH9NA

I'd be interested in knowing how insane the rest stops along the Florida turnpike are - in terms of gas availability and queue

My parents were told that gas would be prioritized for all the plazas on the turnpike, so there should be gas at those always. Probably still crazy lines.

Link

The Autumn Wind

On my way to school today, there must have been at least 100 cars waiting in line for gas at the Pompano plaza.

How housing survives these storms has everything to do with construction.

In the cyclone areas in australia there a extremely high building codes. The roof structures have to be tied into the foundations with steel.

That house maybe concrete but if the roof structure is just sorta sitting on top of the walls. EEEKKKK.

Roof materials also play a huge factor. A metal roof is much better than say shingles.

Windows and doors are a weak point. Cat5 storms are no joke. Even in concrete structures and the noise is EPIC, enough to be really disconcerting.

Also concrete will not save you from storm surge.

Does Florida have strict building codes?

Xyrmellon

Well, after the eastern shifts today decided to stay put in Tampa. I hope to god this thing doesn't wobble 50 or so miles west or there are going to be a lot of people fucked.

12. flights must be much cheaper down there than up here in the midwest. any short booking flight like this would run like $200 each way.

Not really adding anything, just wanted to say that this is so true. I'm from the Midwest (Indiana) as well and it is so expensive to fly anywhere from/to there. Plus there are never any deals on airfare there either. So when I used to fly from there to Toronto and back or now when I fly from SF to there, it's always at least $500, maybe $450 if I can get a slight deal. I don't get what it is about flying to/from the Midwest that jacks up the prices - maybe it's not a popular enough destination? I don't know.

MrNelson

Banned
Well, after the eastern shifts today decided to stay put in Tampa. I hope to god this thing doesn't wobble 50 or so miles west or there are going to be a lot of people fucked.
I'm in Tampa as well. With all the shifting back East and West, I'm still holding my decision whether or not to leave until tomorrow evening.

Blizzard

Banned
I saw a shooting star low in the east around 9 EDT today, very odd for Florida. It was bright enough to see past headlights and redlights.

And about driving, that's almost my biggest fear. I'm not going to flood but I have no idea how to find my apartment building codes, and the roof might get ripped off. But, due to circumstances beyond my control, I can't leave until my fiance can escape which is potentially Friday or Saturday.

By that point I think there's a very real risk of getting stuck heading west or north in Florida, in the middle of nowhere with no gas, and THEN get hit by tropical storm or hurricane winds with no shelter. I feel being trapped on the road in gridlock would be worse than rolling the dice in a second-story, top-floor apartment.

So checking out the flood zoning in our area, looking at the map our house is zone c but right across the stree(old cutler) is zone a. Lol that's some shit.

Top Bottom