• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Akim

Banned
For those who have flights to/from Orlando International Airport this weekend, this is now on the website (www.orlandoairports.net):

DJF3woNXkAEpEa9.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/PhilLanderos/status/905636901482360832

Hmm my flight is suppose to land at 5 15 PM, but it hasn't been canceled yet...

Mostly hoping it is canceled so I can get a full refund

Which airline? SW is actually offering full refunds - at least the phone agent offered that to me as an option yesterday. Worth calling them for further clarification - although at this point, I'm sure wait times will be lengthy.

Akim

Banned
Which airline? SW is actually offering full refunds - at least the phone agent offered that to me as an option yesterday. Worth calling them for further clarification - although at this point, I'm sure wait times will be lengthy.

Delta, yeah I was going to wait it out but I may just end up calling them tomorrow

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Fedex Freight just called. No work Thru Monday. Updates after that. Its gonna be chaos when they reopen.

Dazza

So checking out the flood zoning in our area, looking at the map our house is zone c but right across the stree(old cutler) is zone a. Lol that's some shit.

It's possible if there is a big difference in height between one side of the street and the other. Not knowing Miami at all, I looked on Google maps and it generally seems the west side of Old Cutler Road is higher in elevation alway away from all the natural sources of water (typically a good indication of where the lowest points of elevation are). But the different in elevations don't seem high enough to be a difference between a zone A and C though.

Flood maps are only about absolute elevations, it's about relative elevations, water holding capacity of soils and the most likely route water will take to escape to the ocean.

Not really adding anything, just wanted to say that this is so true. I'm from the Midwest (Indiana) as well and it is so expensive to fly anywhere from/to there. Plus there are never any deals on airfare there either. So when I used to fly from there to Toronto and back or now when I fly from SF to there, it's always at least $500, maybe $450 if I can get a slight deal. I don't get what it is about flying to/from the Midwest that jacks up the prices - maybe it's not a popular enough destination? I don't know.

Flights are cheapest in and out of hubs (places with a ton of flights in and out). Chicago and I think Dallas are really the only hubs in the middle of the country. While other Midwestern cities may be busy, I don't think any of them approach those two or the busier East/West coast airports.

Edit: So basically, if you're close enough that the drive isn't too bad, there's a good chance it's going to be cheaper flying in/out of Chicago than Indy, even if Indy is closer to your destination.

It looks like my family is tapping out for the night and looking for a hotel instead of trying to drive up all the way to Atlanta in one night. Maybe there's more traffic tomorrow, but I was not looking forward to my turn of driving a giant van with 11 people inside it at 2am.

sinkfla87

It looks like my family is tapping out for the night and looking for a hotel instead of trying to drive up all the way to Atlanta in one night. Maybe there's more traffic tomorrow, but I was not looking forward to my turn of driving a giant van with 11 people inside it at 2am.

Where are you currently at? I got rooms at my hotel in NW Florida.

sinkfla87

Allow pets? Coming from op, florida

We actually do now lol. We typically have a strict no pets policy but considering most people are coming for evacuations we are allowing them. We have a few rooms open until Saturday and then starting then we are unfortunately booked up :(. Message me if you need a room, I'll see what I can do.

Unfortunately, Ocala. Thanks though.

No problem! I'll say once you get into NW Florida I'll probably be hard to find rooms starting on Saturday so I would continue traveling North unless something lets up:(.

Audioboxer

This thing seems like a monster. Hope everyone it hits makes it through. I've been to Miami once and I'm not sure how some parts will survive. Florida is super flat all round.

I live in tamarac, my girlfriend,my dog, her parents and I are renting a car and dipping to Virginia later today. Fuck this hurricane. Her parents live in North Miami Beach, I hope their house will be alright.

In Florida, it is my opinion that there is no longer enough time for humans to sort out what models cannot. The euro says west, the GFS east. The euro is a horrifying hit on the miami and eastern florida area, depending on exact track and intensity. It is also the most accurate model and has been the most accurate model up until this point in projecting the position of the storm. It also refuses to back down from this solution. That means people should make decisions as though the Euro projection is true even if there is still the chance it is not.

I hope it all turns out differently, or somehow if that landfall does happen exactly as the Euro says that it isnt as bad as my weather knowledge tells me it could be with regards to surge, and wind / water damage. Best to those in FL, I would exit if at all possible in eastern areas and even central southern areas at this point.

I'm having a lot of trouble convincing family to leave. I don't feel comfortable leaving them here, bros.

I'm getting upset.
I am sorry man, the best you can do is make the best decisions you know how to make. The storm is at least relatively fast moving so humans tend to have better survival chances in those situations. As such, you could make decisions / put your own mind at ease a bit with this in mind. Also, the difference btw a terrible hit and a glancing blow is only a few miles - things could change positively and the euro solution could be discarded.

sinkfla87

I'm having a lot of trouble convincing family to leave. I don't feel comfortable leaving them here, bros.

I'm getting upset.

I dealt with this with my family too when I was younger (well everyone was younger I guess lol). Now that they're in their 60's they're actually listening to me and are planning to evacuate with us if need be. What is their reasoning for not wanting to leave??

I dealt with this with my family too when I was younger (well everyone was younger I guess lol). Now that they're in their 60's they're actually listening to me and are planning to evacuate with us if need be. What is their reasoning for not wanting to leave??

concerned about getting stuck on the road before getting clear of the state. it's a legitimate concern. Plus, "well we don't know what it will do".

Blizzard

Banned
concerned about getting stuck on the road before getting clear of the state. it's a legitimate concern. Plus, "well we don't know what it will do".
Getting stuck on the road and having the eye come over is my biggest fear about evacuating since I can't do it until like Friday night at the earliest.

IrishNinja

MIA here, ain't going nowhere cause emergency services bout that life

just a quick reminder: fuck rick scott & his stupid little navy hat, we're done electing dude to the governor's mansion but for the love of fuck pls don't let him reach the senate if you live in FL, midterm votes matter & his sociopathic endeavor to strip us state/county employees of pretty much anything + adamant denial of climate change & federal funds is a big part of why we are where we are & no one should be surprised. fuck dude forever & have a nice day y'all

Yeah in this situation I would make the best guess as to what will happen if they try to drive now. I do not know the FL area or what could happen to its traffic patterns, but if you / they would potentially get stuck on the road or couldnt at least move west/ north away from the damn thing it may be best to shelter in place in some regards. But that shouldnt include anywhere that could easily flood.

Koopatrol

My mother is coming back to Orlando on Tuesday from outside the country. Is her flight affected by this?

I honestly don't know, sorry. The whole closure seems to be very vague at the moment, as my flight on Saturday hasn't even been cancelled yet. I'm assuming more details about everything will be released later today.

Getting stuck on the road and having the eye come over is my biggest fear about evacuating since I can't do it until like Friday night at the earliest.

The forecast/projection still isn't set in stone. By then you'll have a much better idea about how to proceed, but if it stays along the East Coast I imagine driving through Western Florida might not be the worst idea...

weekev

Banned
Yeah in this situation I would make the best guess as to what will happen if they try to drive now. I do not know the FL area or what could happen to its traffic patterns, but if you / they would potentially get stuck on the road or couldnt at least move west/ north away from the damn thing it may be best to shelter in place in some regards. But that shouldnt include anywhere that could easily flood.
Are we not looking at least 48 hours till this thing hits Miami? Even in horrific traffic would you not still make it out? There is gonna come a point very soon where it's gonna be too late to bail though and folks will need to hunker down. This thing looks immense though. If I were in Florida, I'd no longer be in Florida. Good luck everyone, really hoping and praying for you guys to pull through.

Are we not looking at least 48 hours till this thing hits Miami? Even in horrific traffic would you not still make it out? There is gonna come a point very soon where it's gonna be too late to bail though and folks will need to hunker down. This thing looks immense though. If I were in Florida, I'd no longer be in Florida. Good luck everyone, really hoping and praying for you guys to pull through.
The thinking is that if the entire population of eastern florida panics, there will be no way off the roads in time. And think about it from forecasters perspective / gov official perspective too - if they order an evac and societal chaos descends and then the hurricane misses, people will call for their heads. And if the hurricane hits, people will still call for their heads because people will be stuck on the roads and likely die or sustain injuries. Its a bad situation.

Blizzard

Banned
The problem is if you get in gridlock on 95 or something, you'll run out of gas before you can get far, and the whole southern part of the state is presumably going to be without gas.

I stayed at south beach Miami a couple of years ago, I wonder what kind of damage the place will get?
It will be apart of the ocean.
MIA here, ain't going nowhere cause emergency services bout that life

just a quick reminder: fuck rick scott & his stupid little navy hat, we're done electing dude to the governor's mansion but for the love of fuck pls don't let him reach the senate if you live in FL, midterm votes matter & his sociopathic endeavor to strip us state/county employees of pretty much anything + adamant denial of climate change & federal funds is a big part of why we are where we are & no one should be surprised. fuck dude forever & have a nice day y'all
Hear! Hear!

kinggroin

Banned
I'm out of Florida!!!! Finally. Now the pain of going through Georgia.

Guys, rest areas even all the way up here are packed to capacity. If you're South of Orlando, please don't wait if you plan to leave. It won't be long before things get impossible to navigate through.

God bless you all, good luck.

IrishNinja

south beach gets flooded every tuesday y'all

it's gonna get fucked up, but there's mad money there so it'll be restored & perfectly alright

if you wanna concern yourself with something, worry about liberty city, overtwon, carol city, goulds, richmond heights, little haiti etc. no one gives a shit about those corners, and it sucks.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I'm out of Florida!!!! Finally. Now the pain of going through Georgia.

Guys, rest areas even all the way up here are packed to capacity. If you're South of Orlando, please don't wait if you plan to leave. It won't be long before things get impossible to navigate through.

God bless you all, good luck.

I know.

It's insane.

I 75 right bow?

kinggroin

Banned
I know.

It's insane.

I 75 right bow?

Yeah. It's...not THAT bad.

Moving steady at 70mph. I honestly hope this thing completely misses and I've overreacted. I want nothing more at this point. Still have family that stayed down in Kissimmee to ride it out.

I didn't feel safe with my three young ones, so yeah.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yeah. It's...not THAT bad.

Moving steady at 70mph. I honestly hope this thing completely misses and I've overreacted. I want nothing more at this point. Still have family that stayed down in Kissimmee to ride it out.

I didn't feel safe with my three young ones, so yeah.
Well it was for me

"Hope those in Kissimmee make it ok.

Top Bottom