• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

witness

Fucking schools in Orlando still haven't been cancelled for friday for my kid yet (as far as I know). I'm panicking and ready to leave and my wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to leave. Desperately want to leave for my dads in NOLA tonight....

My plan now is to leave Orlando and head back up to Indiana early AM Friday, probably 4 or 5. Already filled up Tuesday night so good on that front.

Hoping that's not too late.

Fucking schools in Orlando still haven't been cancelled for friday for my kid yet (as far as I know). I'm panicking and ready to leave and my wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to leave. Desperately want to leave for my dads in NOLA tonight....

You should probably leave, provided you can convince your wife.

IrishNinja

aww :(
Such a nice place, has it copped anything similar in the past?
I was going to go again next year and stay at delano hotel (very nice)

...are y'all serious?

the beach floods with a hard rain. it gets fucked up every time we're hit, though not as bad as the keys

it'll be fine. there's way too much money in the beach - everyone thinks it'll be our first step towards atlantis, but that's prolly the grove right now

Kusagari

I was checking hotels and it seems like basically everything in North Florida and Georgia is gone.

You would probably have to go deep into Alabama to find one.

sinkfla87

I was checking hotels and it seems like basically everything in North Florida and Georgia is gone.

You would probably have to go deep into Alabama to find one.

I mentioned this earlier but my hotel has a few left until Saturday. We had our system shut briefly and soon as it opened up people booked the rooms up at an insanely high pace. Most people currently in house seem to be from South Florida.

Linkura

We actually do now lol. We typically have a strict no pets policy but considering most people are coming for evacuations we are allowing them. We have a few rooms open until Saturday and then starting then we are unfortunately booked up :(. Message me if you need a room, I'll see what I can do.

Bless you guys for allowing pets for this. You guys rock.

Still haven't heard any plans from my folks despite asking. Getting nervous/upset as it looks like it's pretty certain it's going to be bad for PSL... My cousin works at PSL Hospital so she's probably stuck, but I hope everyone else is thinking of GTFOing.

Finalized prep for the storm. Wife and a bunch of her colleagues are staying put in Ft. Myers. 75N has been somewhere between annoying and fucking laughable.

We will find out today if we're going to be all hands on deck, or something less intense. If I don't have to leave my house to manage a barrier island, I don't want to. But if the storm oscillates enough to catch Marco Island relatively square, we're gonna be riding out the 72 hour aftermath cut off from the mainland

Flavius

Really surprised they haven't cancelled Orange County since basically everything else around (public school; college) is closed at least Friday, and many Monday as well.

Don't wait. If you're going, go as soon as you can. It's only going to become more of a pain in the ass.

sinkfla87

Bless you guys for allowing pets for this. You guys rock.

Still haven't heard any plans from my folks despite asking. Getting nervous/upset as it looks like it's pretty certain it's going to be bad for PSL... My cousin works at PSL Hospital so she's probably stuck, but I hope everyone else is thinking of GTFOing.

Thank you! I'm happy that our company is allowing this, it would be pretty shitty if they turn away families in a time of need because they don't want to lose their family pet. I don't think I could work here if they did that.

With that said, I work at the Homewood Suites in Pensacola so if anyone needs a room for tonight (Thursday night) let me know. Looks like all our rooms for Friday night have now sold out as well. I've never seen rooms fill up like this before so quickly... Fuck. It sucks having to tell people that we're full :(.

gcubed

Finalized prep for the storm. Wife and a bunch of her colleagues are staying put in Ft. Myers. 75N has been somewhere between annoying and fucking laughable.

We will find out today if we're going to be all hands on deck, or something less intense. If I don't have to leave my house to manage a barrier island, I don't want to. But if the storm oscillates enough to catch Marco Island relatively square, we're gonna be riding out the 72 hour aftermath cut off from the mainland

My in laws live on Marco but they are up in NC for the next two weeks so it's one less thing to worry about. Good luck!

Dinokill

Fuck it. Going to park my car on a elevated parking lot. I live in front of a lake so I'm worried about water coming to my house. I'm in Sarasota.

Krakatoa

Fuck it. Going to park my car on a elevated parking lot. I live in front of a lake so I'm worried about water coming to my house. I'm in Sarasota.

Are you in a flood zone area? I live in Sarasota as well. Still waiting for later in the day to get a better picture of how much it's going to hit us.

Irminsul

Here's a GIF I made for the other thread with a 3-hour-resolution version of the model:

hurricane_irmazxofh.gif

Basically a direct hit for Miami, with the added bonus of Irma barely grazing Cuba, so it doesn't really get weakened. The pressure shown just before it hits are on par with the deepest pressure Irma had in its life. That doesn't mean the winds are still Cat 5, though. Currently looking like a strong Cat 4 at landfall accoriding to the same model:

Those are wind gusts in km/h, with 250 km/h being around 156 mph. That means sustained winds are somewhat slower, thus probably a strong Cat 4.

My mother is coming back to Orlando on Tuesday from outside the country. Is her flight affected by this?
Depends on how hard the airport gets knocked up by the Hurricanes. She will need to check with her airline either by phone or online to see if there are any delays or cancellations.

Big international Airports are pretty fast about clearing debris and making it safe to open quickly for traffic.

Hoping Ft. Myers/Macro Island will be ok. I have plans to come down November, to visit. There is a guy I know who runs his own shop not too far from Lovers Point. Hoping he will be OK too.

Redmoon

Not the news I wanted to wake up to :(
And I'm way too close to evac B zone to not worry about the ocean.

Stay safe everyone.

sinkfla87

Most people I've talked to tonight have been reasonable and compassionate for one another. However, I just got off the phone with someone who literally just asked me to kick out other evacuees to free up a room for him and his wife, in a better sounding way of course. If you call a hotel and they're sold out... It's not because they're "hiding" rooms. It's legitimately because we're sold out. That goes for Hilton hotels I can say, anyway.

Pineapple

So for the central Florida/Orlando region, how will this storm compare to Matthew from last year, given that the track looks almost identical for that area?

Most people I've talked to tonight have been reasonable and compassionate for one another. However, I just got off the phone with someone who literally just asked me to kick out other evacuees to free up a room for him and his wife, in a better sounding way of course. If you call a hotel and they're sold out... It's not because they're "hiding" rooms. It's legitimately because we're sold out. That goes for Hilton hotels I can say, anyway.
What the fuck, I hope you chewed him out for being inconsiderate

Man, it's such a shame that Puerto Rico isn't a State yet. They'd get help a lot faster. Right now it's going to be weeks until they get power back.

Fisty

Headed up from Ft Lauderdale to West Melbourne, hopefully it's not as bad here. I just moved from the west coast to Florida 6 days ago 😅

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So for the central Florida/Orlando region, how will this storm compare to Matthew from last year, given that the track looks almost identical for that area?

It will be stronger, but Matthew didn't do all too much to us last year beyond some rain. This one is much stronger, so expect higher winds and more damage.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Thankfully we have family in Georgia, so we'll be going there if things don't improve. Sounds like it's damn near impossible to find a hotel by now.

Anybody know how bad the traffic is for 95N starting from Palm Bay/Melbourne area? My best friends are coming to my place in Virginia, but I'm trying to talk them into leaving today instead of Friday.

MartyStu

Can't get my folks to leave West Palm Beach and join me in Tally.

And at this point, I doubt they would be able to even make it.

Thanks to the vertical placement of that part of Florida and the angle this storm is currently taking, it will only take a miscalculation of a few degrees and quite a bit can change for towns and cities along the atlantic and gulf.

Thanks to the vertical placement of that part of Florida and the angle this storm is currently taking, it will only take a miscalculation of a few degrees and quite a bit can change for towns and cities along the atlantic and gulf.

Very true. And these storms make small wobbles in ways that no model can predict. A wobble of just 30-50 miles while approaching a possible landfall would make a huge difference.

I check the status of the storm multiple times a day. When I checked this thread this morning, I was surprised to see people leaving Orlando. I thought people usually took shelter in Orlando during hurricanes. This must be so scary to residents. I can't imagine this kind of impending terror.

First of all, stay safe everyone. This looks incredibly scary and I really hope it somehow weakens.

As for my selfish question, when is it currently expected to hit Orlando? I have a connecting flight there on Sunday afternoon but I haven't heard anything from JetBlue yet. Never had similar weather problems during any of my trips, so I'm not sure what to expect or do.

Lkr

I check the status of the storm multiple times a day. When I checked this thread this morning, I was surprised to see people leaving Orlando. I thought people usually took shelter in Orlando during hurricanes. This must be so scary to residents. I can't imagine this kind of impending terror.
Disney is fully booked so a good amount of people are riding it out in Orlando. I'll be riding it out in my house in Orlando. Leaving the state is too expensive and too much of a hassle tbh and I have too much family in florida to leave

Top Bottom