• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

About 50 miles west of Orlando proper, looks like we'll be well within the western wall of the storm, but not quite as bad for us as early projections. So I'll probably be heading eastbound to volunteer unless the roads are fucked.

Lake County schools are closed on Monday, with Fridya being half days like Wednesdays.

Lake-Sumter Community College should have an update on it by noon today.

sinkfla87

What the fuck, I hope you chewed him out for being inconsiderate

To be honest, I was just in shock since so many people tonight have been completely understanding. I said, "Let me get this right, you want me to displace families in need of shelter because you need a room on a whim?!" He wasn't even coming from the most soon to be dangerous places in Florida. He was like a few towns over in the panhandle where we're also at lol. It was as if as being sold out was either a lie, or that it could not possibly apply to him.

Soon after, I had another guest who wanted a room next week who was asking why we were sold out. And he knew about the storm!! Several people have been outright shocked that we're pretty much out of bottled water and soon to be out of gas.

I live in Boca Raton and I'm flying with my family to Nashville this afternoon. Definitely don't want to risk it with this one.
Honestly, all of these old timers saying "I've lived in Florida for blah blah blah years, and it's never been that bad" need to stop trying to persuade people from leaving.
It's pretty annoying at this point

Linkura

Most people I've talked to tonight have been reasonable and compassionate for one another. However, I just got off the phone with someone who literally just asked me to kick out other evacuees to free up a room for him and his wife, in a better sounding way of course. If you call a hotel and they're sold out... It's not because they're "hiding" rooms. It's legitimately because we're sold out. That goes for Hilton hotels I can say, anyway.
Assholes are gonna be assholes even when it comes to terrible natural disasters.

According to recon it's a little bit weaker now. Around 923mb. But that is to be expected as it is undergoing an eyewall replacement cycle and is passing close to land.

I would expect another period of strengthening once it's entering warmer waters ahead of Bahamas/Florida.

Edit: Still 921mb but winds are slightly weaker.

tampa area people

what are you guys doing?

At this point - very likely to stay. Even if it comes up the middle of the state, we will likely be to the west of the storm, which is the better side to be on from what I've read. That, and it will weaken as it works its way here. It has rough 200 miles of land to cover. I believe it was Hurricane Frances that came through at about a category one in 2004 when it passed here. It had crossed the state, and was was weaker, but still brought down trees and created some flooding.

If we were to leave, we probably should have done that a couple of days ago. I-75 was gridlocked yesterday, and I imagine it is the same today. If you're in a flood zone or have large trees hovering over the house, I'd probably go to a friend, family, or neighbor's that is safer and just ride it out. Just my opinion though.

If you do leave, I recall reading that toll roads have stopped charging for the foreseeable future, so the Veterans could be an option, but I imagine anything northbound sucks at this point. Good luck.

bengraven

I'm hoping my work will close our call center early on Saturday because if what I've heard is true and we should be hunkered down by 5 PM then it wouldn't be worth me going in anyway since I work 1-10pm and I have an hour and a half drive up 75.

So the way I look at it I'm just going to walk out on Friday like this:

PleasantFormalChickadee-max-1mb.gif

College friend and her son are leaving Saturday morning after their WDW vacation. In before the lock IRL.

So glad I changed my Disney plans. We were originally going to book a Disney vacation from the 5th to the 9th but I figured it would be a bad time due to the rain season and possible hurricanes. I guess I made a good call there :p.

Though now I'm a little worried as we booked it for the first week of October instead :eek:

Yep, those lines are real short now. Same thing happening at Disney.

I was almost in Orlando this weekend. It would have been yesterday through the 14th. I changed it to the 27th through the 4th sort of on a whim.

Though now I'm a little worried as we booked it for the first week of October instead :eek:

It's funny, because all the guide books and expert blogs say September-October are some of the best times to go.

I haven't been following this as close as I should have. Is this expected to go past Maryland? Want to know if I need to prepare for anything.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping my work will close our call center early on Saturday because if what I've heard is true and we should be hunkered down by 5 PM then it wouldn't be worth me going in anyway since I work 1-10pm and I have an hour and a half drive up 75.

So the way I look at it I'm just going to walk out on Friday like this:

PleasantFormalChickadee-max-1mb.gif

From where is that image?

witness

My company sent out an email about the hurricane, this is in Orlando. Said everyone's safety is our number 1 concern, so we will be closed on Monday 🤣 Not Friday to give people extra prep or escape time, not Tuesday for those that leave to drive back, but just the day of the goddamn storm. Fucking businesses man, Jesus.

MrNelson

Banned
tampa area people

what are you guys doing?
I'm not making my decision until later tonight, but the odds are I'm going to hunker down in my apartment and ride it out. But if that track even looks at the Western side of Florida funny before Saturday, I'm buggin out.

cj_iwakura

I check the status of the storm multiple times a day. When I checked this thread this morning, I was surprised to see people leaving Orlando. I thought people usually took shelter in Orlando during hurricanes. This must be so scary to residents. I can't imagine this kind of impending terror.
It's not going to affect Orlando nearly as bad as SoFla, I don't get it either.

FiggyCal

Banned
My mom is a nurse, she's working on Saturday. But I think even though its Fort Lauderdale, a nursing home is a good place to be. Probably will have power , water, etc. I'm kind of worried about my dad though. He's going to be by himself. I wish I was there :(

13thStep

My company sent out an email about the hurricane, this is in Orlando. Said everyone's safety is our number 1 concern, so we will be closed on Monday 🤣 Not Friday to give people extra prep or escape time, not Tuesday for those that leave to drive back, but just the day of the goddamn storm. Fucking businesses man, Jesus.

I'm in Orlando and my company isn't closing any of the days. They said be here Monday morning at 9 am, no excuses.

Nice.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I'm in Orlando and my company isn't closing any of the days. They said be here Monday morning at 9 am, no excuses.

Nice.

I'd give the ole two-finger salute to any company that did that kind of shit, playing with people's lives.

There was no traffic on my way to work this morning in Tampa.

It was so eerie.

Weird, there was extra traffic in Orlando this morning for me. People were stopping into a fire station, not sure what for though.

HeySeuss

Not always

This is heartbreaking. Those people need evacuated or they will die. The dirty water or just sitting in the water for that long will make them sick and they're already in a nursing home for typically health related reasons to begin with.

south beach gets flooded every tuesday y'all

it's gonna get fucked up, but there's mad money there so it'll be restored & perfectly alright

if you wanna concern yourself with something, worry about liberty city, overtwon, carol city, goulds, richmond heights, little haiti etc. no one gives a shit about those corners, and it sucks.

You got jokes..

This is heartbreaking. Those people need evacuated or they will die. The dirty water or just sitting in the water for that long will make them sick and they're already in a nursing home for typically health related reasons to begin with.

This was during Harvey. They were rescued.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Nice.

God damn must it feel so shitty to be treated so expendable, completely disregarding a potentially life-ending hurricane on the horizon.

Slizeezyc

Man I have heard similar things about Universal and Disney being dead. Makes me really want to go today and just destroy some churros and ride all the rides since I haven't been in months.

J-Roderton

Man I have heard similar things about Universal and Disney being dead. Makes me really want to go today and just destroy some churros and ride all the rides since I haven't been in months.

I think it'd be kinda weird feeling having fun in the park and riding rides with the impending shitstorm on the horizon. I guess it really is the time to go to parks, though.

In Jax waiting to hear if my job will be closing early. We're absolutely dead and I've got a lot of prep work still to go, so I'm hoping we shut down at end of day, if not sooner.

AJLma

Nice.

Are there no laws protecting employees from negligent endangerment like that?

If I were in that situation I'd call around to a few lawyers and try to get some free(or reasonably priced) advice to see if they can even demand that or punish you for leaving to protect yourself/family.

Slizeezyc

I think it'd be kinda weird feeling having fun in the park and riding rides with the impending shitstorm on the horizon. I guess it really is the time to go to parks, though.

I flew back down to Orlando yesterday -- was coming back from a vacation -- and was surprised to see how many people are coming to Orlando for Disney and such still. Peeps had decided more or less "we booked months ago, we're coming."

bengraven

In Jax waiting to hear if my job will be closing early. We're absolutely dead and I've got a lot of prep work still to go, so I'm hoping we shut down at end of day, if not sooner.

I work in Ocala and they basically told us that if we have vacation days we can take them on Saturday and Monday but outside of that it's business as usual. And the funny thing is this so many people live over an hour away but commute to work, coming from Orlando or Gainesville or even further. But I also know that one of these days soon I'm going to get fired anyway so I really don't give a shit.

Top Bottom