• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone stayed in a county-sponsored hurricane shelter before? I'm considering that as an option, and wondering if there is anything I should know about what to bring etc. I know food is supposed to be provided, but you have to bring sleeping bags / pillows / blankets, chairs, changes of clothes etc.

Vestal

Some Employers are pure fucking EVIL.

At my company (Financial Company in Tampa) they told us to WFH if we wanted today and tomorrow they are closing the St. Pete Campus so people can get prepared. They are losing money by doing this(St. Pete is the head quarters), but they understand that people come first.

sflufan

Banned
Needless to say, my family in South Florida are as prepared as they possibly can be, but they are naturally fearing the worst.

For my part, I've requested (and received) an extended leave of absence from my job here in Northern VA. I will be renting a van that I am going to fill with various supplies from here and will be driving it down to South Florida once the storm clears its final destination.

If there is anyone else in the unaffected Mid-Atlantic area that would like to join with me in a "relief convoy" to Florida or any other affected area, please PM me on here so that we can exchange contact information and arrange rendezvous points along the way.

Even though we are small in the face of nature, we are not totally powerless!

Has anyone stayed in a county-sponsored hurricane shelter before? I'm considering that as an option, and wondering if there is anything I should know about what to bring etc. I know food is supposed to be provided, but you have to bring sleeping bags / pillows / blankets, chairs, changes of clothes etc.

Bring important paperwork with you, insurance policy papers, a few utility bills for proof of residency, stuff like that. If you need to you can start the claim process from there if you aren't able to get back while roads get cleared and such. Make sure to keep that stuff on you at all times tho.

I'm in Orlando and my company isn't closing any of the days. They said be here Monday morning at 9 am, no excuses.

Nice.

They can get sued or shut down for shit like that during a declared state of emergency. Happened at a company I worked at once.

It cost them a couple million and the death of an employee.

Linkura

So glad I changed my Disney plans. We were originally going to book a Disney vacation from the 5th to the 9th but I figured it would be a bad time due to the rain season and possible hurricanes. I guess I made a good call there :p.

Though now I'm a little worried as we booked it for the first week of October instead :eek:
Looking at wait times now, Epcot and Hollywood Studios are literally ghost towns. Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom not as much, but still not nearly as bad as usual.

Starting to think we were lucky when we went last year around this time with no weather issues. Never going there again during hurricane season. We are going to Disneyland in a week and a half though. :eek:

Kusagari

No employee should stick their neck out for a company telling them to show up with "no excuses" the day after a Cat 4/5 might be getting a direct hit.

They're already telling you flat out how expendable and worthless you are to them.

My company just announced that we're closed on Monday. We're a multi-state company with our headquarters and all corporate employees in Florida so this is pretty big for them.

I work from home anyways, so i'll probably be available for anybody looking for assistance as long as I have power. Good to know that I'm covered though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
On the weather channel they're showing a clip of Puerto Rico as it's getting hammered and yet there's a bunch of people next to the shore with big ass smiles.

sinkfla87

Don't risk your life for a job that would fire you if the first chance they get

This x1000. For all the complaints I may have about my job (more money would be nice), there are a lot of good things to say about it. For one, we have a "hurricane team" which is basically employees who volunteer to work. Nobody has to stay if they don't feel safe doing so. In fact we're encouraged to do what's best for us and our families in a situation like this.

On the other hand, if your employer is telling you that you have to be there during a life threatening storm... Please put them on blast.

Disney World is probably the safest place to be in Florida during something like this.

FRsenKC_d.jpg

Don't forget your 12.99 box lunch

I'm down here in Broward County, dipping to Virginia right after work at 2. My girlfriends parents live in Miami so they don't want to take chances. I hope to find adequate gas to get us up there.

TampaGaf here. We’re staying as of now. House isn’t in a flood zone, and we don’t have any large trees near us. Even if it comes up through the state it’ll be a lot weaker by the time it “hits” us. All of Miami and the east cost counties should be gone if you can. I hope we don’t lose power, but I have all my stuff ready just In case. Stay safe peeps

muteki

FRsenKC_d.jpg

Don't forget your 12.99 box lunch

It really was fucking ridiculous, considering what else they have access to on property if they could stop pinching pennies for a second.

On the upside though those solid concrete hotel rooms aren't going anywhere, so you should be safe at least.

Disney World is probably the safest place to be in Florida during something like this.

Disney World closed for Matthew, and as far as Central Florida is concenened this looks like it’ll be the same track as Matthew (though it looks like the storm reaches out farther as well, so probably more dangerous). I wouldn’t be surprised to see Disney World close on Sunday and maybe Monday.

lightus

UF just sent out a one sentence alert stating main campus will be closed Sunday/Monday.

Was really hoping for tomorrow off but didn't expect it to actually happen since we won't really start seeing it til Sunday.

bengraven

Some higher-ups are sharing a screenshot that shows we will likely only get 40 mph winds in the center of the state and basically telling us to stop being such pussies and quit trying to get out of work.

I'm secretly hoping that they just fire me today. Lol

Tahnit

Banned
No job is worth risking your life in a cat 5 storm. Get out! If ya employer says you have to be in, quit and then report to authorities. This is a state of emergency and they can not do that to people.

Setmeni

Looking at wait times now, Epcot and Hollywood Studios are literally ghost towns. Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom not as much, but still not nearly as bad as usual.

Starting to think we were lucky when we went last year around this time with no weather issues. Never going there again during hurricane season. We are going to Disneyland in a week and a half though. :eek:

Thanks for the heads up, its date day for me and my wife, as soon as I read that we looked at the wait times and we're packing up for a Disney day right now.

jmizzal

My company sent out an email about the hurricane, this is in Orlando. Said everyone's safety is our number 1 concern, so we will be closed on Monday �� Not Friday to give people extra prep or escape time, not Tuesday for those that leave to drive back, but just the day of the goddamn storm. Fucking businesses man, Jesus.

My GF job site wont close unless the bridges close, she works from home and they wont give them the day off even during the Hurricane LOL. Saying that they work from home they should be able to work, not thinking about if you want to leave town, or your power going out, or your kids being home, how the heck can you work from home smh.

Kusagari

My job just sent out an email saying to text your manager after Irma hits so they can make sure you're still okay.

That's how you know shit is real.

Top Bottom