• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Syder

imrs.php
Not always
What the fuck... context?

Neighbor just texted me. Took him 9 hours to get from Miami to Orlando on I-95 N this morning. If anyone plans on evacuating the city I suggest leaving by tonight at the latest.

Kusagari

Neighbor just texted me. Took him 9 hours to get from Miami to Orlando on I-95 N this morning. If anyone plans on evacuating the city I suggest leaving by tonight at the latest.

I'm seriously worried there's going to be thousands of people stuck on the highway as this thing is coming in.

jmizzal

Some higher-ups are sharing a screenshot that shows we will likely only get 40 mph winds in the center of the state and basically telling us to stop being such pussies and quit trying to get out of work.

I'm secretly hoping that they just fire me today. Lol

Thats a lie, your in Orlando right, Jacksonville projections are 68 mph winds, so I know Orlando will be higher

I'm in Orlando and my company isn't closing any of the days. They said be here Monday morning at 9 am, no excuses.

Nice.

If a mandatory evacuation is ordered, then they won't have a choice. Miami may get a mandatory evac if its a cat 4 or 5 heading right for them. Orlando may be inland enough that they won't get a mandatory evac but we'll see.

daveo42

Banned
I'm in Orlando and my company isn't closing any of the days. They said be here Monday morning at 9 am, no excuses.

Nice.

Well that's fucked. We have a satellite site in Clearwater that's shutting down due to the hurricane and our sites never shut down due to the nature of our business.

MechDX

Reading tweets from people saying they are stuck on highways in Florida.

Giving me Rita flashbacks. Hope everyone can get tp safety

FTF

This is getting scary. Have an elderly aunt who lives in Orlando who I don't think is able/capable to leave anymore. She has some food and water and is hunkering down but other than neighbors (who are also on the older side and some have left) there's no one really around here down there to help her. Just hoping for the best at this point.

kaskade

Stubborn grandparents aren’t evacuating Lauderdale. I know their building will be fine because it’s one of those concrete condos with the metal shutters and everything. But everything else, no food, no power, no emergency response.

Ponn

Banned
Time to grill one last steak and then tie that shit down. Our parking lot was flooded and the water rose to a couple feet from our porch with Matthew. Hoping for the best.

bengraven

Thats a lie, your in Orlando right, Jacksonville projections are 68 mph winds, so I know Orlando will be higher

I Live between Jacksonville and Gainesville but I work in Ocalla just off 75. I also have to be to work on Saturday and I have over an hour drive. So that's kind of where my head is at right now: I may just take the day off and get it unpaid and deal with the ramifications later.

One of the most important models is coming out as we speak (the GFS). The question of the day is - will the Euro collapse and find the GFS solution, or will the GFS collapse and follow the Euro solution.

Lucifon

There's a lot of focus on the news about the US but many of the islands currently being hit and those in the direct path are being largely ignored in comparison. By the time the storm hits the US it will be significantly weaker (but obviously could potentially still cause alot of damage and disruption), however there's people right now on the islands who's stories are not being shared to the same degree as news outlets worrying about how things will be when it reaches the US.

I have a buddy in Cuba right now, at the very mid-north of the island at one of the smaller islands who's currently stuck there. He's waiting to hear from Thomson in the UK (holiday provider) who is currently saying nothing. Other holiday providers have started evacuations but the last he's heard was yesterday Thomson sent a letter telling people to expect strong winds and rain but to stay at the hotel. Today however he's been told the hotel is closing in 3-4 hours yet they still haven't heard a peep from Thomson and their staff are nowhere to be found. The island has a single road connecting it to the mainland so it's safe to say that road will take a beating given the current path of Irma.

This was the letter he got yesterday :

Restaurants don't even close in Orlando unless a mandatory curfew goes into effect. Denny's has no plans to close as of yet =p

There is no way anything more than a curfew happens in Orlando. Mandatory evac never gonna happen unless this thing picks back up to a strong 5 and threatens to pass directly over.

Lived in Orlando 30 years and I'm honestly not very worried about this hurricane, been through plenty of em.

I'd not want to be anywhere near the coast though. Stay safe all.

There's a lot of focus on the news about the US but many of the islands currently being hit and those in the direct path are being largely ignored in comparison. By the time the storm hits the US it will be significantly weaker (but obviously could potentially still cause alot of damage and disruption), however there's people right now on the islands who's stories are not being shared to the same degree as news outlets worrying about how things will be when it reaches the US.

I have a buddy in Cuba right now, at the very mid-north of the island at one of the smaller islands who's currently stuck there. He's waiting to hear from Thomson in the UK (holiday provider) who is currently saying nothing. Other holiday providers have started evacuations but the last he's heard was yesterday Thomson sent a letter telling people to expect strong winds and rain but to stay at the hotel. Today however he's been told the hotel is closing in 3-4 hours yet they still haven't heard a peep from Thomson and their staff are nowhere to be found. The island has a single road connecting it to the mainland so it's safe to say that road will take a beating given the current path of Irma.

This was the letter he got yesterday :

Well US News stations are going to focus on the US. Puerto Rico has been getting coverage as its a territory. I would never except a US news outlet to share stories of foreign nations to the same degree as Americans.

DOWN

Banned
Restaurants don't even close in Orlando unless a mandatory curfew goes into effect. Denny's has no plans to close as of yet =p

There is no way anything more than a curfew happens in Orlando. Mandatory evac never gonna happen unless this thing picks back up to a strong 5 and threatens to pass directly over.

Lived in Orlando 30 years and I'm honestly not very worried about this hurricane, been through plenty of em.

I'd not want to be anywhere near the coast though. Stay safe all.
Yeah, I’m in Orlando and not worried tbh. Lived in Florida my whole life and been through tons of hurricanes.

Kusagari

I wouldn't risk getting on the roads at this point unless you have gas canisters with you. I'd be seriously worried about running out on your way up and nowhere nearby having gas.

mackattk

Bring important paperwork with you, insurance policy papers, a few utility bills for proof of residency, stuff like that. If you need to you can start the claim process from there if you aren't able to get back while roads get cleared and such. Make sure to keep that stuff on you at all times tho.

Also, make multiple copies of all your important documents, keep thing in one of those expandable envelope/binders. If they need to have a copy to keep on record, you don't want them to risk of not having and extra paper.

I am simply not a fan of waiting any longer. The GFS still keeps the actual center of the eye off the coast, but appears to slam the western eye wall into Miami. That is an absolute misery, and I still trust the Euro more.

I would still give the recommendation to get out everywhere from Miami north. Hope for best.

Slizeezyc

Matthew, but a little bit worse is most realistic.

Worst-case would obviously be a direct hit from a Cat 3 storm, but that's looking unlikely.

Yeah I think something where it basically hugs the coast all the way up would be the worst Jacksonville case, which is basically a chunkier Matthew.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Nice.
I feel like if companies ignore emergency weather warnings and tell their employees to come in.

They should be held accountable for an incident, accident, or destruction along the way.

So of course you can tell them to come in, but let's say someone gets into a car accident because of it? Company is at fault of ignoring dangerous weather conditions. Told them they need to be in and they stayed home and got hurt? Lawsuit.

GodofWine

New GFS has it right over the length of the east coast of FL, and hitting the Savannah GA area.

This will literally come to a mile or two determining who gets the worst...There is no 'good' scenario. If it misses you, its slams someone else.

Good luck FL / GA / SC / Island GAF.

bachikarn

New GFS has it right over the length of the east coast of FL, and hitting the Savannah GA area.

This will literally come to a mile or two determining who gets the worst...There is no 'good' scenario. If it misses you, its slams someone else.

Good luck FL / GA / SC / Island GAF.

Do you have a link to the new GFS model?

Xyrmellon

Just heard Pinellas county is ordering "zone A" evacuated tomorrow morning. I get better safe than sorry, but now that they're almost out of the cone and highways clogged for miles was rhis smart?

I wonder for those in South Florida leaving if using US27 to US441 through Auburndale is an option. Then from there using I-75 or the Turnpike to go further north if needed.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Decided I'm going to ride it out unless they order an evacuation. About 20 miles west of Orlando, hoping it just sticks to the east. Never really worried about a hurricane before till now and the first year I was here was Charley and the others.

Lkr

Decided I'm going to ride it out unless they order an evacuation. About 20 miles west of Orlando, hoping it just sticks to the east. Never really worried about a hurricane before till now and the first year I was here was Charley and the others.
Where does 20 miles west put you exactly?
Charley was my first year as well. My parents had a brand new house and despite all of the damage done in the region, we only lost a few shingles on the roof. Frances and Jeanne didn't hit near as hard as Charley in our neighborhood. I'm riding this one out in my current house right behind ucf. In my experience of that storm and since, Orlando won't get an evacuation call unless you live in a manufactured home. If you do, just go to the nearest designated shelter.
I'm thinking once we know for sure where the storm is going we should have a gaf check in list for different cities so we know everyone is safe for the people that ride it out

Top Bottom