• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

DOWN

Banned
Not all Hurricanes are created equal. A direct hit from Irma is going to be the worst natural disaster Florida has seen in 80 years.
Direct hit will be in lower Florida if anything, and while this one is definitely stronger... it’s just not the craziest thing to me when you’ve already been through storms that were 80% or more as powerful before. It’s not a crazy jump to me...

And Florida now is a little different from Florida pre-Andrew. My building will definitely be fine.

903? Holy shit.

Yeah, family lives in Savannah. I have a feeling I'll be either heading there tomorrow to board shit up or there on Wednesday to clean shit up.

Or both.

JoeBoy101

Yeah, NC is starting to get in on the stockpiling. Stores are starting to get hammered, and those forecasts keep pushing it east and north for a Charleston to OBX hit.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Lkr

Wow, that was extremely informative. It also has put me a little bit more at ease. I'm feeling a little optimistic now, it looks like Central FL will be spared from the worst, just like Matthew last year. But it looks like it will head into the Carolinas, as will Jose.
Don't forget that the forecast will change 10 times before the end of the day
Direct hit will be in lower Florida if anything, and while this one is definitely stronger... it’s just not the craziest thing to me when you’ve already been through storms that were 80% or more as powerful before. It’s not a crazy jump to me...

And Florida now is a little different from Florida pre-Andrew. My building will definitely be fine.
You're right. So much fear mongering from people that don't live in Florida and understand how these things work. Gonna have to travel over miles and miles of land and weaken if the eye hits Orlando (if it even does).
If you live in the south and near the coast: GTFO
In Orlando: you'll be fine if your home isn't 20 years old or you don't live in a manufactured home

Weather channel is reporting live from a publix in Hollywood. Confirmed for being gaf members?

witness

You're right. So much fear mongering from people that don't live in Florida and understand how these things work. Gonna have to travel over miles and miles of land and weaken if the eye hits Orlando (if it even does).
In Orlando: you'll be fine if your home isn't 20 years old or you don't live in a manufactured home

Mine is 30 years old but has a brand new roof (2016) and is made out of a mixture of brick, wood, and cinder block. Should I worry? Anything I should inspect or specific precautions I should take?

Rixxan

My friend left west broward and took turnpike - for to Orlando in about 4.5 hours? He left this morning at around 7

That doesn't align with some of the comments in this thread though - makes it seem like you'll die on the road in here

Not sure - think I'm gonna take 27

My house was made in 99' so I think I'm good for riding it out, though I might just go to my dad's apartment that's 3 minutes away since he's in the 3rd floor and it's brand new.

Linkura

Another college buddy and her family (2 young ones including a newborn) live in Savannah. They've already posted that they have a flight up to Ohio to stay with family.

Getting fucking pissed at my PSL family. They haven't posted dick and the forecast continues to show them getting directly hit.

Another college buddy and her family (2 young ones including a newborn) live in Savannah. They've already posted that they have a flight up to Ohio to stay with family.

Getting fucking pissed at my PSL family. They haven't posted dick and the forecast continues to show them getting directly hit.

Link to where PSL is getting hit please

fuck man stay safe everyone.

I volunteered through my job to go help for what hurricane Harvey took out. I'll probably once again volunteer for this one as well once it clears out.

My house was made in 99' so I think I'm good for riding it out, though I might just go to my dad's apartment that's 3 minutes away since he's in the 3rd floor and it's brand new.

Don't forget that the forecast will change 10 times before the end of the day

Weather channel is reporting live from a publix in Hollywood. Confirmed for being gaf members?

Why is newer construction more desirable during a storm? I was always under the impression older homes were built more solid / with better craftsmanship.

Lkr

Mine is 30 years old but has a brand new roof (2016) and is made out of a mixture of brick, wood, and cinder block. Should I worry? Anything I should inspect or specific precautions I should take?
Your roof should probably be fine, board up your windows and pray if you're staying. It's really all any of us can do tbh. Current track shows it staying off coast as a cat 3 at its closest approach to Orlando. 30 years old puts you at pre-Andrew though so I'm not sure how safe it is

Vyrance

I'm in Ft. Pierce myself. Finished boarding up my windows. If it directly hits I'll be staying at my parents house in town. Will certainly be interesting. Hopefully it doesn't crash my two palm trees into my house. The huge oak should be fine.

Lkr

Why is newer construction more desirable during a storm? I was always under the impression older homes were built more solid / with better craftsmanship.
After every devastating storm, new housing codes are put in place to better withstand storms. If your home was built before 1992, it does not meet building codes put in place after hurricane Andrew destroyed Miami. Homes rebuilt or built in general after Hurricane Charley in 04 have to be built to a more strict code. Then there is also the predicament where a lot of homes in Florida are manufactured homes or trailers. These will not withstand a hurricane and people living in those need to get out to a sturdier structure.

Older things being built better is a myth.

Karkador

Banned

Not necessarily. I think the question is about certain building methods and technologies being standardized.

After Andrew in 1992, the building codes became more strict, and building 'hurricane proof' homes was a priority. Certain things like attachments for hurricane shutters (rather than nailing plywood to your house) became a lot more common. Also, building homes that don't allow a proper airflow through them. A lot of issues with Andrew, IIRC, were homes that literally bursted apart, because the winds could get in but not out.

It doesn't mean an older home can't withstand a hurricane (and it's possible to retrofit some of these things), but some of these design decisions are a little more about proper engineering than materials/craftsmanship.

Karkador

Banned
Then there is also the predicament where a lot of homes in Florida are manufactured homes or trailers.

This, too. One of those Andrew aftermath photos getting circulated these days, of a totally flattened neighborhood, appears to be one of these neighborhoods.

The latest IR images of the storm indicate to me a potential period of intensification. Much more symmetry in cloud tops starting to develop on all sides.

Coral Springs area here. Been putting up shutters all around the neighborhood today. It's 93 out and everyone around here is either in line for gas or water or raiding Publix for food. Saw a guy drag another guy out of his car and beat him up because he couldn't get into the gas line soon enough. Haven't seen it this crazy since Wilma.

Kusagari

This, too. One of those Andrew aftermath photos getting circulated these days, of a totally flattened neighborhood, appears to be one of these neighborhoods.

Anyone living in a mobile home just needs to expect to come back to nothing.

Sad, but it's the truth.

Spinluck

My friend left west broward and took turnpike - for to Orlando in about 4.5 hours? He left this morning at around 7

That doesn't align with some of the comments in this thread though - makes it seem like you'll die on the road in here

Not sure - think I'm gonna take 27

Broward to Orlando is normally a 3 hour drive.

pulsemyne

903? Holy shit.

Yeah, family lives in Savannah. I have a feeling I'll be either heading there tomorrow to board shit up or there on Wednesday to clean shit up.

Or both.

Don't read too much into the 903 from GFS. They have constantly overcocked the pressure. It's still going to be a solid cat 4 when it hits shore though. Do not take this storm lightly.

Irminsul

What are the chances this stays a 5 all the way up the Florida coast?
Well, even the latest Euro model, which had Irma basically stay off land until it directly hits Miami, had wind gusts just reaching Cat 5, which means sustained winds (and thus, Irma itself) are a strong Cat 4.

So it's possible. How probable it is is too early to tell. The new Euro model should be around in about an hour, so let's see if that changes anything.

TyrantII

Not necessarily. I think the question is about certain building methods and technologies being standardized.

After Andrew in 1992, the building codes became more strict, and building 'hurricane proof' homes was a priority. Certain things like attachments for hurricane shutters (rather than nailing plywood to your house) became a lot more common. Also, building homes that don't allow a proper airflow through them. A lot of issues with Andrew, IIRC, were homes that literally bursted apart, because the winds could get in but not out.

It doesn't mean an older home can't withstand a hurricane (and it's possible to retrofit some of these things), but some of these design decisions are a little more about proper engineering than materials/craftsmanship.

Those codes are for category 3 winds. Not a 190MPH category 5 hurricane.

Just something to keep in mind. If this storm doesn't degrade, it'll be something no one has seen in modern times.

People should prepare for the worst. Better safe than sorry

Yea lot of homes rode through Andrew just fine, I had lot of family that were here for Andrew and outside of mostly exterior damage to stuff, their houses and roofs came out just fine. Lot of the pics of Andrew destruction were in the areas like Homestead where houses were almost all wood plus they got smacked with tornadoes also. Lot more stronger codes are now placed on how roofs have to be built, how doors are placed, window fixtures, plus people have shutters on their homes. Back during Andrew, lot of people didn't have any shutters, it wasn't common, lot of people just boarded up or had no real protection which made things worse as wind got into their homes and would blow off roofs like a scoop. Shutters are almost standard on any new home you buy in the past decade.

Roofs are still the biggest weakness, but overall most newer homes are far better build nowadays and if you are well in land, you got much better chances.

Spinluck

My girlfriend's mom took a week off vacation that started on Wednesday to go to Miami.

She still went regardless of how fucking stupid we told her it was to not simply move her vacation around the storm.

DOWN

Banned
My bosses just emailed us to please do whatever we need to be safe and there will be no consequences. They will be closed Monday.

Top Bottom