• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

MiamiGAF, I love you all. I live in Cutler Bay, just east of the turnpike. I'm staying here with my mom in my apartment for the storm. Concrete building, built post Andrew, and my apartment is on the north side, in between two other apartments. So I think we'll be ok. Worst comes, we'll evacuate to Robert Morgan Senior/Hurricane Shelter.

Oh i forgot that Robert Morgan was a Shelter, I used to go there.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Is there a site where you guys are getting your graphs? The EU graphs are locked down as far as I can find. Blogs somewhere?

Saw over on CNN that this is the outlook as of this morning:

2b728abd_7d71_4313_b6a5_22abb396271c.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Saw over on CNN that this is the outlook as of this morning:

2b728abd_7d71_4313_b6a5_22abb396271c.jpg
The problem is that as I understand it, that area is the cone of uncertainty. The eye could literally go up the west coast, or it could be like a hundred miles offshore of the east coast.

This is why trying to make an informed decision is so crazy, especially with the millions who live in Miami etc. who can't move.

Ponn

Banned
For those with people, family, parents, friends in Florida and those in florida this is the Florida Emergency Hotline 1-800-342-3557. I highly suggest getting local numbers for Red Cross, police, fire and rescue but for those lost on who to contact that number should get you in contact with the appropriate people for evacuation or emergency services.

joshcryer

Thanks for the links guys. Not to make a morbid joke here but it's like some kid on simcity is directing the hurricane to do the maximal possible damage.

BTW, 650k people have already evacuated Miami according to the Weather Channel. But there are a lot more people there. In the coming days as the models narrow, if Miami has to evacuate I don't know if it's possible. Logistically. Gov. Scott seems to think it's possible in his briefings. But this is a lot of people and we're seeing gridlock already. They have to start now and continue evacuating for the next 3 days.

Blizzard

Banned
I saw pics of home depot packed and someone said it was because people were boarding up their homes. Is looting going to be a problem?
Looting isn't typically the concern with boarding up windows, 150 mph winds and debris that break windows and shoot things into your house are the concern.

Finally here in the cabin northwest of Atlanta. What is normally a 11-12 hour drive took 20+ hours between the traffic and the two babies, two young kids, and two elderly ladies on board. We couldn't find a hotel in Ocala so we just kept going, stopping for breakfast at 8am. We're all exhausted.

Not looking forward to the drive back. We should theoretically be able to stay at a hotel halfway instead of just driving the whole time. But I worry about not making it back in time for work (I'm a teacher). Given that the storm is going into Georgia as a Cat 1 on Tuesday, we wouldn't be able to drive until I guess Wednesday. I'm going to have to write up lesson plans for substitutes in the meantime.

Then again, there's no telling the destruction waiting back at home. School could start back up Tuesday/Wednesday or be out the whole week.

Looting isn't typically the concern with boarding up windows, 150 mph winds and debris that break windows and shoot things into your house are the concern.
Oh I see that makes sense. I saw some people spraypainted stuff like keep out on them so I thought it was looting.

Linkura

Thanks for the links guys. Not to make a morbid joke here but it's like some kid on simcity is directing the hurricane to do the maximal possible damage.

BTW, 650k people have already evacuated Miami according to the Weather Channel. But there are a lot more people there. In the coming days as the models narrow, if Miami has to evacuate I don't know if it's possible. Logistically. Gov. Scott seems to think it's possible in his briefings. But this is a lot of people and we're seeing gridlock already. They have to start now and continue evacuating for the next 3 days.

Rick Scott is an idiot so I wouldn't trust him on that.

Please stay safe all.

Brit here, nervously watching this on the news. Hurricanes are a fucking terrifying show of nature's force...

I saw pics of home depot packed and someone said it was because people were boarding up their homes. Is looting going to be a problem?

Boards are not to prevent looting, but to help prevent flying objects from shattering windows. A window shattering during a hurricane could lead to immediate roof failure and the roof quite literally blowing off the home.

gaiages

Banned
So the 5 PM update has it tracking back West.

FL be fucked if that's the case.

Yeah, it's looking pretty grim if that's the case, it would engulf almost the entire state, and evacuating the entire state is NOT possible at this point. Traffic is already at a deadlock.

joshcryer

Rick Scott is an idiot so I wouldn't trust him on that.

I know. I basically said that. The evacuations need to start now. Not a day before it hits.

BTW, this is the real Katrina NHC advisory / warning before it hit: http://web.archive.org/web/20080120...gov/data/warn_archive/LIX/NPW/0828_155101.txt

This is an Emergency Broadcasting System recreation (though I don't think this actually aired anywhere, it is just reading the advisory): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkruQZpQ2g8

The NHC may well be issuing a similar warning for Irma. It will chill us to the bones.

SOLDIER

Unless you live on a small caribbean island, no hurricane can ever do that much destruction. Winds well inland of the coast drop off a lot fast than you think especially in dense city environments. Orlando for example may feel about 80 mph gusts and some heavy rain but it is very survivable. Basically if you live right along the coast you should get the hell out but if you live say 30 miles inland and OUT OF FLOOD PRONE AREA you can stay put as long as you have adequate shelter available. This reduces the load on areas that absolutely need to get out ASAP. A lot of problems happen when people evacuate from areas that arent in immediate danger and clog the roads for people who really need to escape.

Zipcode is 33018, we live in Lakes on the Green, for what it's worth.

Should be far enough from waters, but the more info I get the more relieved/terrified I'll be.

weekev

Banned
Please stay safe all.

Brit here, nervously watching this on the news. Hurricanes are a fucking terrifying show of nature's force...
Seconded from another Brit. Probably the last chance to get out now. im really worried about the gridlock when this thing makes landfall.

pestul

looks like Santa Maria in Cuba is gonna get clipped, they have the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, hopefully it's not too bad.
Yeah, I can vouch for that. Cayo Santa Maria and Cayo Coco are absolutely beautiful. This clipping by Irma could be enough to cause some severe beach damage and a huge hit locally.

MartyStu

Apparently, my mom was told that if she did not show up on Saturday, she would be fired.

At first I sort of understood: she is a CNA, and will be needed during this time.

Then I found out that she had already asked for and been granted the day off due to a funeral that was supposed to happen.

Apparently her manager is taking the unlikelihood of the funeral still happening as an excuse to renege.

This is leaving me furious because she and the rest of my family live in West Palm Beach, and I am trying to get them to come up to me at Tally.

Generate

Banned
Zipcode is 33018, we live in Lakes on the Green, for what it's worth.

Should be far enough from waters, but the more info I get the more relieved/terrified I'll be.

Follow any orders given by your city. You look to be surrounded by water and thats a concern for sure.

tbm24

So any updates on tampa besides it is less likely to be on the path of destruction from this hurricane....
Notbing substantial from what I can see. My brother in Clearwater is taking tomorrow to board up as much as he can and sand bag it up. Hoping that stays true and Tampa avoids the brunt of it, my brothers house can probably take it but my mom's is much smaller with a big tree smack in the middle of the backyard. If it goes down, that'll be 40% of the house gone.

Apparently, my mom was told that if she did not show up on Saturday, she would be fired.

At first I sort of understood: she is a CNA, and will be needed during this time.

Then I found out that she had already asked for and been granted the day off due to a funeral that was supposed to happen.

Apparently her manager is taking the unlikelihood of the funeral still happening as an excuse to renege.

This is leaving me furious because she and the rest of my family live in West Palm Beach, and I am trying to get them to come up to me at Tally.
Mother and sister in law aren't allowed to leave Tampa as they work in a major hospital. If they aren't ready to show up that's their jobs. Can't say I don't find it a bit cruel though I understand why.

Linkura

I hope everyone lets Rush know what a real piece of shit he is right now.

I feel for anyone who actually listens to that man.
What is that shitstain saying now?

Holy shit, her manager is a major asshole.

I'm not sure if it pulling west is better or worse for my folks in PSL. Seems like a better chance of getting hit with the NE eye wall, so maybe worse?

Ourobolus

Banned
My brother-in-law's family lives in Estero. There was a shortage of gas so he and others weren't able to get out, so they've hunkered down. Really hope they stay safe.

When my wife and I moved to Colorado, they had winter storms "like never before" according to the locals. They got worse every year.

We just moved to Florida over the summer. I am certain that a few hundred years ago we would have been declared witches and hung.

Generate

Banned
Does anyone know why Irma is turning north? Shouldn't it head into the Gulf where it's hot?

No because hurricanes dont just go to hot areas thats not how they work. The stronger they get, the more they are controlled by upper level atmospheric factors, such as the Atlantic Bermuda high that funnels storms along and the cold fronts and low pressure troughs that guide them upwards. Hurricanes paths can be predicted with a fair degree of accuracy at this point. Dont worry too much about this one going into the gulf outside of the cone area. It will not threaten Texas at all.

When my wife and I moved to Colorado, they had winter storms "like never before" according to the locals. They got worse every year.

We just moved to Florida over the summer. I am certain that a few hundred years ago we would have been declared witches and hung.
I'm in the PNW and worst winter in 122 years here

Top Bottom