• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

maxcriden

If it follows the current track in the image above, would Atlanta be likely to see any destruction or just heavy rain and wind?

What is that shitstain saying now?

Holy shit, her manager is a major asshole.

Rush Limbaugh is saying the storm is being hyped as part of a plot by liberals and Big Water. I'm not sure anyone is listening to Rush Limbaugh anymore.

No because hurricanes dont just go to hot areas thats not how they work. The stronger they get, the more they are controlled by upper level atmospheric factors, such as the Atlantic Bermuda high that funnels storms along and the cold fronts and low pressure troughs that guide them upwards. Hurricanes paths can be predicted with a fair degree of accuracy at this point. Dont worry too much about this one going into the gulf outside of the cone area. It will not threaten Texas at all.

OK got it, thanks for explaining.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So the eye could still be anywhere from coast to coast. The ride never ends!
But this doesn't really matter too much due to this storm's size. Unless it ends up tracking along one of the extreme edges of the cone, the core of the storm is going to affect just about the entirety of the Florida peninsula no matter which coast it leans closer to.

Linkura

Rush Limbaugh is saying the storm is being hyped as part of a plot by liberals and Big Water. I'm not sure anyone is listening to Rush Limbaugh anymore.
I wish he could be arrested for saying that shit.

Fakeedit: Thought this picture was amusing. Flight at West Palm Beach Airport going to Boston:

west-palm-to-boston-1504811033.jpg

My brother-in-law's family lives in Estero. There was a shortage of gas so he and others weren't able to get out, so they've hunkered down. Really hope they stay safe.

I live just north of them. It's all new construction, despite the low-lying area. Tell him to inspect all the culverts and drainage grates in his neighborhood and make sure they're clear and not full of dirt and debris.

Localized flooding is often due to the storm water system being overwhelmed by trash, not a failure in the engineering.

III-V

Well damn, 5pm update was not good for Tampa. I am mostly prepped already but was hoping for it to stay on the eastern track.

Tomorrow we will be within 3 day forecast which is historically much more accurate.

Met a Rush listener while filling up some sandbags today.

"I'm not worrying about that storm. It's all a hoax anyway."

Maybe he and Rush will get Alien kidnapped to Mars to run the fucking right wing baby farms on Mars ffs.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJJnvVwWsAEnMrl.jpg

This looks bad?

Stay safe US peeps.

Cuba could help destabilize the eyewall, reducing it to a Cat 3 or even a Cat 2. Could actually be good. Interesting that the NHC is now starting to reflect the EU model though.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking of making a spreadsheet for anyone to add to, just a way for FloridaGAF to keep check on one another. Would anyone be interested if I did make it?

Seconded from another Brit. Probably the last chance to get out now. im really worried about the gridlock when this thing makes landfall.

It's so alien to me - we're so lucky that we don't tend to experience extreme weather on our small island.

Really puts it in perspective, when people moan about our grey summer or perpetual drizzle.

Apparently, my mom was told that if she did not show up on Saturday, she would be fired.

At first I sort of understood: she is a CNA, and will be needed during this time.

Then I found out that she had already asked for and been granted the day off due to a funeral that was supposed to happen.

Apparently her manager is taking the unlikelihood of the funeral still happening as an excuse to renege.

This is leaving me furious because she and the rest of my family live in West Palm Beach, and I am trying to get them to come up to me at Tally.

Wow.

Surely if she was fired there'd be grounds to sue?

Gattsu25

Banned
LOL thanks I needed that

I asked my roommate to go get sandbags since I'm sick and he only lasted 3 hours before giving up and coming home empty handed.
Check Lowe's and other hardware stores.

I bought empty bags from ACE Hardware and then waited in line for over 4 hours so I could shovel sand into my bags.

On the way back I stopped by Lowe's and they had prefilled bags up for sale.

witness

My state of dread just went into overdrive with this 5pm update. In Orlando in a house mostly made of cinderblock and brick and a new roof but I still want to get the fuck out and go to my dads in Nola. My mom offered to pay anything to get us on a flight to Massachusetts to her house but our dog refuses to go into a crate so can't go there and wife refuses to drive to Nola. We have supplies but man, this is going to fucking suck. I'm already expecting 1-2 weeks without power like Charlie.

Dre3001

I was thinking of staying here in Tallahassee but latest projections have it going up I75 and now im rethinking that strategy. Im already stocked up for atleast a week but its way too late to book hotels so im not sure what to do.

The last major model(GFS) that was showing a possible east of Miami track is now finally west of Miami.

Miami and now most of Florida are set for a very bad strike.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_12.png

MartyStu

It's so alien to me - we're so lucky that we don't tend to experience extreme weather on our small island.

Really puts it in perspective, when people moan about our grey summer or perpetual drizzle.

Wow.

Surely if she was fired there'd be grounds to sue?

Yes, but I am pretty sure that the written confirmation of the agreement would disappear.

Dinokill

I have a bad feeling about this. I'm in Sarasota and I'm going to sneak my car in a multi-leveled parking lot and hope my house doesn't go to shit. Fuck

GFS track shows major impacts on Orlando, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, and all the way up to Atlanta over the next 100 hours. Euro earlier similar track earlier. This is going to be a wide reaching impact through the lower Southern states.

All the model graphics here can be used for general information and possible trends, but it cannot be stated enough that the only actual forecast you should be reacting to is the official one from the National Hurricane Center. They have all this info and far more, and can add subjective touches that computers can't necessarily do. It's the forecast that emergency and government officials use to make orders and design plans. Most major media outlets show a graphically prettier version of the official track, but not all.
Unfortunately, there's little reason to think it won't still be a 5 for at least another 24 hours.

Lkr

Check Lowe's and other hardware stores.

I bought empty bags from ACE Hardware and then waited in line for over 4 hours so I could shovel sand into my bags.

On the way back I stopped by Lowe's and they had prefilled bags up for sale.
Thanks I'll hit up lowes in the morning. Do sandbags actually provide any peace of mind? Never done it before but I see friends posting about them

Any Florida, SC, or GA coastal resident can show their ID and get in free to a Braves game this weekend.

You know, if you wanted to watch misery live.

My grandparents have a big house and some acreage up in Ocala, so their place is turning into the storm shelter compound for the other family evacuating from further south. They got some elevation, cleared the trees around the house, and are way inland not close to any other water, so hopefully they should be okay

Top Bottom