• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Miami Dade resident here. We've got shutters up on our house, grandparent's house (next door) and additional rental properties. Looks like we're set on hunkering down and letting the storm pass. Our houses took Andrew with virtually no damage, and that was with half the shutters we had now.

But as I just discussed with my sister, I'm thinking I should come up with an emergency escape just in case. I'm not sure what the odds are that the hurricane will weaken or curve away enough that it won't be a big deal, but I much prefer the option of not risking my life.

So if anyone could offer pointers on where I should consider driving to, when would be the absolute latest time I could do so, etc, I'd appreciate it.

Considering what my friends who left have said, plus what my relatives on Space coast are saying, tonight is the latest I would feasibly leave. The traffic on the turnpike and I95 are murder, and gas is close to running out. As far as where to go, Irma is the size of Florida. Anywhere in the state is at risk.

We were talking about Atlanta GA briefly.

Is there a possibility that traffic would die down some on Friday or Saturday, or would the opposite be more likely?

The opposite is more likely, until the state completely shuts down the expressway system.

I have no idea how to read this graph because it uses the same colors twice...

either way not great

Yeah that's a really poor graph.

This one should be easier to make out

image 1: Sunday morning -
image 2: Sunday afternoon-evening
image 3: Sunday night

Blues = 138mph+
Greens/Yellows = 120-135mph
Reds/Oranges = 110-120mph
t6RK45z.jpg

3jvnKST.jpg

2SZsjyx.jpg

daveo42

Banned
Yeah, I'm calling home this evening to make sure my parents head to a shelter as opposed to waiting it out at home. If the new path is where Irma goes, my parents would get hit by both the north and eastern walls of the story as it moves up Florida. While it might not be as bad as Miami-Dade, the Cocoa Beach/Melbourne/Palm Bay area is still going to get hard if Irma remains a Cat 2/3 during landfall.

AkumaNiko

Whelp, my brother decided to stay in bonita springs. The weather forcast til tuesday shows at worst will be heavy rain and winds as much as 75mph. He's been through about the same if not worst during his time down there.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Woman on CNN said she's staying in Miami and trusts that the Lord will turn the hurricane back into the ocean. Meanwhile Jesus is all "lady, you see all that shit north of you my dad made?!"

2MF

https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/905821713467936768

Unfortunately, Euro has been more precise so far.

Even more precise than the Euro are the NHC tracks. There's a good reason for this - they have a lot of experience and internal data on what models do well in which situations, and can adjust to compensate. When a model is behaving badly (e.g. switching back and forth between tracks) they can lower its importance, etc...

Honestly I think the wide publication of models can be a bad thing in some ways - people can over-interpret model outputs.

mackattk

What a terrifying situation for those further South... nowhere to go but North to get away... ahead of its direct path... literally being chased by the thing... probably only a few major highways to use...

Yup.. get out sooner than later as well. Don't want to be stuck in traffic on the highway with literally no where to go.

Woman on CNN said she's staying in Miami and trusts that the Lord will turn the hurricane back into the ocean. Meanwhile Jesus is all "lady, you see all that shit north of you my dad made?!"

I was watching that, she didn't say that at all. And she was in Delray. Nowhere near Miami. People cope with hurricanes in different ways.

Dishwalla

Banned
Surely they are gonna close Disney and Universal and all that right? Get all those people out of there. Haven't heard anything yet.

Her fucking "creator" gives her all the essentials she needs for survival such as fucking satellite imagery and dozens of mathematical projections showing her where the danger lies, and she is waiting on God to save her.

NotSelf

Just came from publix came at the right moment when they were bringing water people were filling up their carts with water to the top I only had one measly 32 pac in my cart lol.

jmizzal

image 1: Sunday morning -
image 2: Sunday afternoon-evening
image 3: Sunday night

Blues = 138mph+
Greens/Yellows = 120-135mph
Reds/Oranges = 110-120mph

My Boss said its gonna be 40 mph winds when it hits Jacksonville, I dont know where he is getting that number from, all the models posted here are showing 60 and 70 mph winds.

Tho he did say we dont have to come to work, family is first, and they will make a decision later on being closed on Money.

Surely they are gonna close Disney and Universal and all that right? Get all those people out of there. Haven't heard anything yet.

If Disney closed for Matthew, it will close for Irma. The question is how many days - Sunday is all but certain unless Superman comes down to blow the hurricane 150 miles east on Saturday.

Her fucking "creator" gives her all the essentials she needs for survival such as fucking satellite imagery and dozens of mathematical projections showing her where the danger lies, and she is waiting on God to save her.

Standing in harms way isn't necessarily the best way to test ones faith either...it's suicide. smh

SOLDIER

Cover your windows. Stay somewhere above 5 foot elevation. Fill containers with water and save your non-perishables.

You're going to be fine.

This is the mindset I should be having.

I think the constant news and conversations around me are getting to me.

What are even the odds at this point this thing is going to be "wipe out Florida from the map" levels of powerful? We've got the shutters, we have the solid foundations, we should be good to go.

ionitron

I can fully expect school to be cancelled in Miami on Monday and Tuesday, right? :S I'm not exactly sure when this thing is supposed to impact South Florida? Some people are saying Saturday, some are saying Sunday at night? Trying to look online but not clear answers and my connection is crap right now.

I can fully expect school to be cancelled in Miami on Monday and Tuesday, right? :S I'm not exactly sure when this thing is supposed to impact South Florida? Some people are saying Saturday, some are saying Sunday at night? Trying to look online but not clear answers.

Monday and Tuesday probably, But depending on the damage it could be as long as the entire week.

I can fully expect school to be cancelled in Miami on Monday and Tuesday, right? :S I'm not exactly sure when this thing is supposed to impact South Florida? Some people are saying Saturday, some are saying Sunday at night? Trying to look online but not clear answers.

Depends on how much damage it does to the state, and where. I would bet regardless, Monday and Tuesday wont have any school. For some perspective, when Andrew hit, schools in the affected areas (which was all of Dade county) started 5 weeks later.

SOLDIER

I work at the Richard E Gerstein courthouse. I'm expecting it to be shut down all the way to Wednesday.

Ironically I've only had to work one day this whole week, with the holiday on Monday and the personal day I took on Tuesday.

Corporate bosses assuming "It won't be too bad" and telling workers to expect to work is the worst thing. Heartless people making their workers worry for their jobs on top of their lives and homes.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I was watching that, she didn't say that at all. And she was in Delray. Nowhere near Miami. People cope with hurricanes in different ways.

You're right, I had it on in the background and heard incorrectly. Was apparently near Merritt Island.

They're still in an evacuation zone and I still say a person can pray and make active efforts to move away from the realities of impending danger, but I don't deny her approach is her right. Just really don't agree with it.

gaiages

Banned
Ah shit, the hurricane shifted Westward again!?

I don't think Tallahassee could even handle a sideswipe from the hurricane. Welp.

ionitron

Depends on how much damage it does to the state, and where. I would bet regardless, Monday and Tuesday wont have any school. For some perspective, when Andrew hit, schools in the affected areas (which was all of Dade county) started 5 weeks later.

Holy shit.

I'm a teacher and my school is not in good shape right now, some areas already have leaks in the roof. This will not be kind.

You're right, I had it on in the background and heard incorrectly. Was apparently near Merritt Island.

They're still in an evacuation zone and I still say a person can pray and make active efforts to move away from the realities of impending danger, but I don't deny her approach is her right. Just really don't agree with it.

I'm not religious at all, and I cringed a little when she said it, but people cope in different ways.

Valhelm

contribute something
I work at the Richard E Gerstein courthouse. I'm expecting it to be shut down all the way to Wednesday.

Ironically I've only had to work one day this whole week, with the holiday on Monday and the personal day I took on Tuesday.

having spent several hours of my life in that building against my will I gotta commend you for going in there voluntarily

geomon

MiamiGAF, I love you all. I live in Cutler Bay, just east of the turnpike. I'm staying here with my mom in my apartment for the storm. Concrete building, built post Andrew, and my apartment is on the north side, in between two other apartments. So I think we'll be ok. Worst comes, we'll evacuate to Robert Morgan Senior/Hurricane Shelter.

What are even the odds at this point this thing is going to be "wipe out Florida from the map" levels of powerful? We've got the shutters, we have the solid foundations, we should be good to go.

Well, Limbaugh has been saying this is just a liberal conspiracy, so there's that...

In all seriousness, be safe, but get out if you're far south.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
The Winter Park (Central FL) Forsyth location is out of sandbags. 2 hour wait for nothing... Open again tomorrow at 7am

SOLDIER

having spent several hours of my life in that building against my will I gotta commend you for going in there voluntarily

I work high up in the 8th floor office.

Passing through the bottom floors of scum and villainy is a sobering experience. Reminds me I'm far better off than most, and it briefly cheers me up.

The Winter Park (Central FL) Forsyth location is out of sandbags. 2 hour wait for nothing... Open again tomorrow at 7am

Central Florida as well. The places I tried were also out of sandbags, and went to 3 different gas stations and all were packed with cars, but out of gas.

I don't know what to do about the window and sliding glass doors on my second floor apartment. We aren't allowed to put up anything on the outside. Thankfully the sliding glass door has a sizable balcony/sunporch, but it still has me very worried.

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't know what to do about the window and sliding glass doors on my second floor apartment. We aren't allowed to put up anything on the outside. Thankfully the sliding glass door has a sizable balcony/sunporch, but it still has me very worried.

Maybe they're hurricane proof windkws, but if they're not shouldn't they provide you with shutters?

Generate

Banned

Unless you live on a small caribbean island, no hurricane can ever do that much destruction. Winds well inland of the coast drop off a lot fast than you think especially in dense city environments. Orlando for example may feel about 80 mph gusts and some heavy rain but it is very survivable. Basically if you live right along the coast you should get the hell out but if you live say 30 miles inland and OUT OF FLOOD PRONE AREA you can stay put as long as you have adequate shelter available. This reduces the load on areas that absolutely need to get out ASAP. A lot of problems happen when people evacuate from areas that arent in immediate danger and clog the roads for people who really need to escape.

Tokubetsu

MiamiGAF, I love you all. I live in Cutler Bay, just east of the turnpike. I'm staying here with my mom in my apartment for the storm. Concrete building, built post Andrew, and my apartment is on the north side, in between two other apartments. So I think we'll be ok. Worst comes, we'll evacuate to Robert Morgan Senior/Hurricane Shelter.

in cb as well

Top Bottom