• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Blizzard

Banned
I live in a tornado alley (eastern edge of Hoosier Alley, represent! Woo!), and from what I've learned, here is my answer:

No, don't open the windows. Leave them closed.

Windows shatter in tornadoes not because of the wind or changes in pressure, but because debris gets flung at them at 100+ mph. Hurricanes are a bit different in that the winds are sustained so the wind pressure does have an effect on them, but opening your windows is not going to negate this pressure to any substantial degree.

Opening your windows in this kind of weather only allows that debris to get flung into your apartment, as well as let the winds in. That can turn everything you brought inside or have inside into projectiles as well. Instead of having to worry about small metal poles or lawn chairs getting punched into your exterior walls like they're knives ... you might actually have to worry about knives.

You're also letting the wind -- which is shaking your external supports for your walls and roof -- now start shaking any internal supports, too, which can lead more easily to a building failure.

I'll work on getting some more references to back this up, but here's a PDF from the Florida Building Commission talking about residential roofing and hurricanes. In it, they state:

Essentially, by opening your windows, you're inviting those storm winds in to do what they want to, and they'll tear off tornadoyour roof from the inside out.
A small crack was unlikely to let more debris through than the branch that already went straight through the window, and of course we were staying away from windows.

If you find anything that says the pressure inside a house during a tornado is painful but safer than slightly cracking a window, I'd love to hear it. I very distinctly remember the pressure did exist in our case, but I realize it might not have been a dangerous level.

Silly question but I don't know Florida roads well. Wouldn't it be better at this point to take small roads north vs the highways which are packed and barely moving? Are all the roads blocked with traffic?

South Florida is basically a 100 mile long, 20 mile wide urban strip. After that it gets pretty rural so most surface streets exist to get people to the beach and back.

Big shout out and mad props to fellow GAFer Broggie Doge aka Night of da Creeps.

He's essential personnel in FL helping everyone get out safely and assisting with those that can't or are choosing to stay.

True hero homie!

giphy.gif

My dad has a house in FL right near where my brother lives in FL. My brother is there in Port St. Lucie and staying put. My dad is up in Buffalo with me. We were texting and my dad texted "if bruce willis can save us from asteroids, why can't we kill hurricanes yet" and I got the biggest smile.

Silly question but I don't know Florida roads well. Wouldn't it be better at this point to take small roads north vs the highways which are packed and barely moving? Are all the roads blocked with traffic?

I think the longer people can stay on 441 or similar roads the better.

Problem is when you're cruising through Wewahitchka (Wewah represent!) and making good time, you're also likely to find a lot of closed gas stations that don't leave the pumps on after hours, then you're stuck in BFE nowhere with little cell service and a lot of barely mapped road

Not sure where you are coming from but turnpike is pretty nasty headed north. Service plazas are packed (all having heavy delays and waits getting in). Most still have fuel. There are a few running low on diesel but trucks en route to refill. Most impacted areas are mp 143 in st Lucie county back to mp 125 in Martin county. Central Orlando area of tpk is backed up from Orange County to Osceola county (roughly a 4 mile stretch of gridlock)... then the rest of the backup is north at the top (I-75).. tpk to 75 is locked up about 12 miles. I also would avoid doing what most people are and that is coming from down south to get off at 193 (yeehaw junction) to cut across to the west coast. You will be sitting a long time. It's another 15 mile stretch on solid traffic once you get off the exit.

Not sure if that helps you at all.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't live there, I am just curious if a local in Miami just now decided to get out, wouldn't small roads be quicker?

Maybe? A glance at Google maps will tell you about congestion

Also, if you're taking the turnpike, I HIGHLY suggest gas cans. Don't expect a healthy access to gas on your 12 hour drive to Orlando.

kendrid

Banned
Sorry I should have mentioned my road question was theoretical. I live in Illinois and I have been thinking "what would we do".

Here in Illinois I could easily take side roads from Chicago to southern Illinois. Getting to central Wisconsin there are fewer roads and it sounds like what you are all describing.

____

Edit: this is a theoretical question. I am wondering "what would I do if I lived there?"

In some situations that could work but I don't think for anyone with a long distance should chance it.

kinggroin

Banned
Sorry I should have mentioned my road question was theoretical. I live in Illinois and I have been thinking "what would we do".

Here in Illinois I could easily take side roads from Chicago to southern Illinois. Getting to central Wisconsin there are fewer roads and it sounds like what you are all describing.

From Miami to Illinois is even harder! At that point just grab a surfboard and cowabunga your way to Valhalla

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not sure where you are coming from but turnpike is pretty nasty headed north. Service plazas are packed (all having heavy delays and waits getting in). Most still have fuel. There are a few running low on diesel but trucks en route to refill. Most impacted areas are mp 143 in st Lucie county back to mp 125 in Martin county. Central Orlando area of tpk is backed up from Orange County to Osceola county (roughly a 4 mile stretch of gridlock)... then the rest of the backup is north at the top (I-75).. tpk to 75 is locked up about 12 miles. I also would avoid doing what most people are and that is coming from down south to get off at 193 (yeehaw junction) to cut across to the west coast. You will be sitting a long time. It's another 15 mile stretch on solid traffic once you get off the exit.

Not sure if that helps you at all.

Try and stay safe Broggie along with your fellow emergency personnel! True GAFer hero of the storm!

tumblr_ntn8f0QLF31tztc54o1_500.gif

Redd

Thank goodness if push comes to shove and it should hit here I got insurance to cover my finances if we have to evacuate. Hopefully Florida lucks out and nothing really bad happens.

III-V

Thank goodness if push comes to shove and it should hit here I got insurance to cover my finances if we have to evacuate. Hopefully Florida lucks out and nothing really bad happens.

Don't count on your insurance companies as some have taken 10 years to pay out.

Namikaze

Thanks for your help earlier in the thread, everyone. I just checked found out I'm not in an evacuation zone. I should be fine. My car may get destroyed though, since it's so low..it's hard to say.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Currently most Central Florida counties near Orlando have not been issued evacuation notices. I pray this is a good sign.

Currently most Central Florida counties near Orlando have not been issued evacuation notices. I pray this is a good sign.

I doubt Orlando itself will receive an evacuation notice. We're basically as inland as you can get with Florida and traffic heading north will be congested for days; there'd be nowhere to go.

Stuck here at Disney as the hurricane makes it way here. Was supposed to fly out Saturday at 7pm but they already announced they were closing MCO at 5pm.

Pineapple

Fuck Disney.

My roommate and I are in Orlando and want to evacuate now, especially given the new track that puts the eye going directly over our area. Except he's a full time cast member, and is scheduled to work all weekend, and Disney has been radio silent on closing the parks.

charpunk

Still trying to figure out what to do in Ocala. I’m like right in the middle so not near a coast but ehhhhh. I just checked 75 again and LOL.

tbm24

Fuck Disney.

My roommate and I are in Orlando and want to evacuate now, especially given the new track that puts the eye going directly over our area. Except he's a full time cast member, and is scheduled to work all weekend, and Disney has been radio silent on closing the parks.
For a place that attracts predominantly children, that's ridiculous.

Fuck Disney.

Know some cast folks,several special events that were planned are already canceled, and that they are told that it's wait and see, but they might be closing on Sunday and Monday.

Fuck Disney.

So far Universal are only canceling the Rock the Universe Event for Saturday and Sunday but the park will remain open.

Shit makes no sense.

They didn't close the park until the day Matthew came and miss Florida.

Fuck Disney.

Doesn't Magic Kingdom have like 6 stories of underground? I'd rather be there than anywhere else

Apt101

Which means it may spiral its way into Virginia around a Cat 3. Damn. I was hoping I'd make it out of hurricane season with no storms this year. I work healthcare IT in a data center which means I will probably have to live in the damn place for a few days if it hits.

I haven't been following the evacuation efforts, but is this shaping up to be another Rita where people die trying to evacuate? Or is it going smoothly so far?

better said, they decided to stay and I didn't feel okay with leaving them here.

Where abouts are you guys, out of curiosity?

I'm sorry you had to make decisions like this. However, I hope everything turns out okay. It may get pretty insane before it gets better, presuming models / intensity are correct. Get a thick skin ready.

Where abouts are you guys, out of curiosity?

I'm sorry you had to make decisions like this. However, I hope everything turns out okay. It may get pretty insane before it gets better, presuming models / intensity are correct. Get a thick skin ready.

about 20mi from the coast, edges of Boca Raton

III-V

Well, I emailed my upper management to please send out some comforting words, and adopt a softer stance on the situation. We are a family company and need to consider those that may have local family in a more dangerous zone than we are.

geomon

The fact that Disney is even entertaining being open Saturday and Sunday is absurd.

Don't you want to see The Magic Kingdom while hurricane force winds are blowing?

Actually that's not a bad idea, to see Mickey Mouse blowing down the street.

sinkfla87

Governor Scott has shut down all state universities, state colleges, K-12 public schools, and offices effective at least Sept 8th-11th. Applies to all 67 Florida counties.

Edit: http://www.fldoe.org/irma

Good. Despite political differences between us, I'll give him credit for actively working to make sure all precautions are taken. The superintendent of schools in my county is a fucking dickbag and has refused to close schools for past emergencies. Oh, your neighborhood got hit with a tornado and your kids can't make it to school? Absent! Before Scott made this announcement, the SI said that all schools would remain open and events like football games would continue as planned.

I guess people here just see an "R" by his name and go doop doodle doo in the voting booth since he keeps getting re-elected.

III-V

Good. Despite political differences between us, I'll give him credit for actively working to make sure all precautions are taken. The superintendent of schools in my county is a fucking dickbag and has refused to close schools for past emergencies. Oh, your neighborhood got hit with a tornado and your kids can't make it to school? Absent! Before Scott made this announcement, the SI said that all schools would remain open and events like football games would continue as planned.

I guess people here just see an "R" by his name and go doop doodle doo in the voting booth since he keeps getting re-elected.

Lets not throw him a fucking parade. Anyone with half a fucking brain cell knows whats up.

about 20mi from the coast, edges of Boca Raton

That's probably gonna get ugly, but it may yet be enough. I really don't know enough about how the surge + waves is going to hit that area on a mathematical level. I wish I could clarify that for you. My gut says if a cat 4 hits from the south the surges + waves will be pretty horrendous, though.

Top Bottom