• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Narroo

You should probably leave, provided you can convince your wife.

Depends where they are. If they're in the Orlando area it's doubtful that it'll be too bad. Fallen trees and destroyed trailers at worst, but they rarely get hammered by hurricanes; too far inland and north.

It's usually the Miami area and south that you have to worry about.

Is he asking these people to evacuate the state or to just go to shelters? Wondering about my mom and siblings down there. Shes taking a lets wait and see approach to evacuating although they have already boarded up their house. Her zone hasn't been told to evacuate yet(Hialeah).

border

What's the better city to evacuate to -- Pensacola or Valdosta? Looks like everyone and their mom is headed north on I-75.

III-V

At what point does the governor order southbound lanes of I-75 to go northbound?

The criteria for that event was layed out by Scott earlier this week. I don't have a link, you will have to look it up, but it only occurs in extremely severe circumstance.

If there is no southbound traffic, it is a huge burden on the state (police enforcement), and also it means no supplies or fuels or food will be delivered to those in need southbound by road.

It can happen, but the situation needs to be absolutely critical.

Before it happens, they allow driving on the grass and medians northbound legally.

Ding II

Doesn't that mean it's strengthening?

Not necessarily, but maybe, and it might be getting bigger. During the replacement cycle, the peak winds get kind of divided <handwave> between the two eyewalls, and that means neither is as strong (windwise) as a single eyewall would have been. But, we're only talking a slight reduction (~10mph) in the winds, and now you have to deal with two areas of "peak" winds. Things get disorganized for a while.

After the smaller, older eyewall gets completely replaced by the bigger new eyewall, the winds usually pick up again, and the entire hurricane can expand in size.

Irma has been weird though. I think it's done two "fake" eyewall replacement cycles, where in the end it just decided to keep rolling with the inner wall. We'll have to see if this one actually happens.

Diablos

0907comp.thumb.jpg.81c826e5ad8d0a118faf1695a5d7d9c3.jpg
Jesus

Fucking

CHRIST

Bail the fuck out FL GAF and do not look back. I'm so sorry.

sinkfla87

I had some people check-in this morning coming from Fort Lauderdale and they said traffic was pretty bad and took them an extra 4 hours to get to us but not completely unmanageable yet. They drove through the night. However, some people from Lakeland were supposed to arrive last night and as of 7 am when I left they had still not made it in yet :(.

What's the better city to evacuate to -- Pensacola or Valdosta? Looks like everyone and their mom is headed north on I-75.

I work at a hotel in Pensacola. We're completely booked all weekend and most everyone else is as well. If you were to go anywhere, I'd recommend traveling further north :(. If I hear of anyone having rooms I'll update you.

matt360

I wonder if Irma will finally be the one to take care of this building?
IEc8lZU.png

Stay safe Florida GAF. My family are all in the Daytona and Port Orange area, and I'm supposed to be flying in next week for a wedding. We'll see how all of that goes.

Coketruck

Pensacola resident here. From what I've heard, everything is booked solid. Try heading into lower Alabama to a town like Dothan or Enterprise. They're not far off the interstate and have places to stay.

III-V

Yes, lets not focus on this picture. It is a fair perspective, but misleading, the potential damage at landfall is the same or similar.

Rockman

IEc8lZU.png

Stay safe Florida GAF. My family are all in the Daytona and Port Orange area, and I'm supposed to be flying in next week for a wedding. We'll see how all of that goes.

I hate that building so much. Such an eye sore every day when I drive by it.

Narroo

Unless you live on a small caribbean island, no hurricane can ever do that much destruction. Winds well inland of the coast drop off a lot fast than you think especially in dense city environments. Orlando for example may feel about 80 mph gusts and some heavy rain but it is very survivable. Basically if you live right along the coast you should get the hell out but if you live say 30 miles inland and OUT OF FLOOD PRONE AREA you can stay put as long as you have adequate shelter available. This reduces the load on areas that absolutely need to get out ASAP. A lot of problems happen when people evacuate from areas that arent in immediate danger and clog the roads for people who really need to escape.
Basically, the nutters in this thread clamoring for everyone person in Florida to evacuate or write their SSN's on their arms because they live in central or northern Florida.

sinkfla87

Pensacola resident here. From what I've heard, everything is booked solid. Try heading into lower Alabama to a town like Dothan or Enterprise. They're not far off the interstate and have places to stay.

You play fighting games? Let's hang out maaaan. Lol.

Some people I know are going to Birmingham, Al just in case before they run out of rooms themselves.

Also for anyone in Pensacola, heard something but cannot verify it for myself yet. A coworker of mine said that the Raceway on Airport just by the interstate exits is claiming that the only gas they have is premium when in fact, he chose regular unleaded and sure enough there were was plenty of gas. Obviously a little loop hole for price gouging by way of lying about what they have to force people to pay more for more expensive products. If anyone else can verify this, let's report these fuckers please.

IEc8lZU.png

I've lived down the street from that piece of shit for so many years

Dinokill

I'm going to park my car on a private parking garage Saturday night. I don't think they will tow my car in the middle of a hurricane. Thankfully my car is manual so less chance of theft.

III-V

Don't leave us hanging...

Cat 5 damage is just that. Andrew was a 5 on Florida impact and decimated certain areas, like a bomb. Irma is predicted as a 4 at landfall. Its winds will be more spread out and slower (hopefully) with a smaller eye wall that will do less damage locally at the center impact zones. Irma does have the potential for more widespread damage, but hopefully less catastrophic damage.

Think of damage levels in categories, it is how SS works:

1 74-95 mph
64-82 kt
119-153 km/h Very dangerous winds will produce some damage: Well-constructed frame homes could have damage to roof, shingles, vinyl siding and gutters. Large branches of trees will snap and shallowly rooted trees may be toppled. Extensive damage to power lines and poles likely will result in power outages that could last a few to several days.
2 96-110 mph
83-95 kt
154-177 km/h Extremely dangerous winds will cause extensive damage: Well-constructed frame homes could sustain major roof and siding damage. Many shallowly rooted trees will be snapped or uprooted and block numerous roads. Near-total power loss is expected with outages that could last from several days to weeks.
(major) 111-129 mph
96-112 kt
178-208 km/h Devastating damage will occur: Well-built framed homes may incur major damage or removal of roof decking and gable ends. Many trees will be snapped or uprooted, blocking numerous roads. Electricity and water will be unavailable for several days to weeks after the storm passes.
(major) 130-156 mph
113-136 kt
209-251 km/h Catastrophic damage will occur: Well-built framed homes can sustain severe damage with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and power poles downed. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.
(major) 157 mph or higher
137 kt or higher
252 km/h or higher Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

EDIT: certainly not trying to downplay the incoming catastrophe, but the damage incurred is not linearly correlated to the size, as seen by Katrina and Harvey and others

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Basically, the nutters in this thread clamoring for everyone person in Florida to evacuate or write their SSN's on their arms because they live in central or northern Florida.

I don't think getting someones SSN is going to be very hard anyway now :lol

And yeah the I-4 Eyesore is such a monstrosity... but I dunno I kind of dig it for how ugly and out of place it is. Its certainly unique.

What about Jacksonville? Mr brother in law moved there from Australia recently and this is his first hurricane season. Should he be worried?

Top Bottom