• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Schools, and much more, should've already been closed days ago to better effect getting folks situated steadily vs nigh unto right before it all goes to shit down there now---Scott is a damn fool as ever.

All sorts of place here in GA getting ready to receive folks from FL---though many of them were only actually anticipating folks from there as opposed to the now at risk parts of GA when they started getting situated...

That's probably gonna get ugly, but it may yet be enough. I really don't know enough about how the surge + waves is going to hit that area on a mathematical level. I wish I could clarify that for you. My gut says if a cat 4 hits from the south the surges + waves will be pretty horrendous, though.

yea, we'll all see soon enough.

0907comp.thumb.jpg.81c826e5ad8d0a118faf1695a5d7d9c3.jpg

Pitbull‏Verified account @pitbull 5h5 hours ago

Florida residents & visitors, please be diligent. Evacuate where needed. Be safe. We will be back bigger, better, stronger. #HurricaineIrma

The real Governor of Florida has spoken.

A small crack was unlikely to let more debris through than the branch that already went straight through the window, and of course we were staying away from windows.

If you find anything that says the pressure inside a house during a tornado is painful but safer than slightly cracking a window, I'd love to hear it. I very distinctly remember the pressure did exist in our case, but I realize it might not have been a dangerous level.

http://www.snopes.com/science/hurricane.asp

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C6.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article171813657.html

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=670434

Close your windows. Your house isn't air tight.

If the projected trajectory of Irma plays out correctly, and It hits South Florida, and then rides up the east coast like a buzz saw, then this country really needs to start having a real discussion about climate change and take it fucking serously already. The politicizing of hard science has to go.

Sorry, I'm just starting to freak out about all this.

My family has been writing "end times" all over this. This, paired with the recent solar eclipse. Apparently, they signify that we are living in the final days or hours.

I don't want to believe it. I pointed out to them that we've had hurricanes like this before. And solar eclipses, and...yeah. They say it's all biblical. I don't know, I've never sat down and read through the bible. I do believe in God, but just can't accept that it's as close as they say.

It worries me, though.

My family has been writing "end times" all over this. This, paired with the recent solar eclipse. Apparently, they signify that we are living in the final days or hours.

I don't want to believe it. I pointed out to them that we've had hurricanes like this before. And solar eclipses, and...yeah. They say it's all biblical. I don't know, I've never sat down and read through the bible. I do believe in God, but just can't accept that it's as close as they say.

It worries me, though.

Everyone always thinks the world is ending in their times

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

It worries me, though.
Is it not late? A late time to be living? Are not our generations the crucial ones? For we have changed the world. Are not our heightened times the important ones? For we have nuclear bombs. Are we not especially significant because our century is? - our century and its unique Holocaust, its refugee populations, its serial totalitarian exterminations; our century and its antibiotics, silicon chips, men on the moon, and spliced genes? No, we are not and it is not. These times of ours are ordinary times, a slice of life like any other. Who can bear to hear this, or who will consider it?...

Take away the bomb threat and what are we? Ordinary beads on a never-ending string. Our time is a routine twist of an improbable yarn...There must be something heroic about our time, something that lifts it above all those other times. Plague? Funny weather? Dire things are happening...

Why are we watching the news, reading the news, keeping up with the news? Only to enforce our fancy - probably a necessary lie - that these are crucial times, and we are in on them. Newly revealed, and we are in the know: crazy people, bunches of them. New diseases, shifts in power, floods! Can the news from dynastic Egypt have been any different?
annie dillard, "the wreck of time"

TMC

Do you guys think it's safer to park my car inside a multi-level parking garage or in the garage of my parent's home who live on a hill? Just looking to protect it from flooding.

ScOULaris

It worries me, though.
That's some nonsense. Humanity's existence does not revolve around how Florida fares with a powerful hurricane. There have been natural disasters (and even more man-made ones) all around the world for millennia that have ended FAR more lives than Irma will.

Zackat

Do you guys think it's safer to park my car inside a multi-level parking garage or in the garage of my parent's home who live on a hill? Just looking to protect it from flooding.
Is the place with the parking garage in danger of flooding in the lower levels?

Just might not be able to get it for a bit, is all.

sinkfla87

Lets not throw him a fucking parade. Anyone with half a fucking brain cell knows whats up.

Lol I'm not throwing him a parade, I don't like him and didn't vote for him like I inferred so I'm not sure where the condescension is coming from. Government officials haven't always been as responsive as needed. You can acknowledge that someone did something good without being a supporter or a party affiliate.

Anyway, enough thread derail. When is the next update? I've gotta get to work in a few hours and it's going to suck having to tell evacuees that we're currently full with other evacuees and that we have no more room :(. Phones have been ringing off the hook since last night.

geomon

Katrina made landfall in NOLA, and kind of kicked over towards Florida after being significantly weakened. They definitely felt it, but nothing like what NO felt or what Andrew did to them.

Katrina went through Florida first, as a Cat 1. Then entered the Gulf.

at200511.gif

AlphaDump

Gold Member

probably a parking garage, despite it being a bit more exposed. you may want to stick to a corner near an elevator since it might be stronger on those sides.

Well, that's pretty damn horrifying.

I had to go out-of-state for a trip so I've got my pets in boarding. I hope they'll be okay. It's at the vet my family's used for over ten years, so I know the people there will do whatever they can to take care of them...

My brother's still in Florida too, though he said he'll be taking shelter at my dad's house instead of trying to ride out the storm in his little apartment. Some of my friends live in crappier areas, so I'm definitely more worried about them.

TMC

Multi level parking garage. I'm thinking of doing the same.

Thanks for your input!

Is the place with the parking garage in danger of flooding in the lower levels?

Just might not be able to get it for a bit, is all.

I don't believe so. Here is a pic of the garage. I have to drive up a ramp for the first floor of the garage.

502181288_18407289_8col.jpg

probably a parking garage, despite it being a bit more exposed. you may want to stick to a corner near an elevator since it might be stronger on those sides.

Will do. The corners of the garage are not exposed to the elements either which would help.

III-V

Keep in mind that the hardest hit damage regions will be similar, hence why we do not have a cat 6.

Doesn't that mean it's strengthening?

My understanding is it is more complex than that.

While it is true the the smaller eyewall is caving and being replaced by the larger eyewall, the resultant larger eyewall will have lower windspeed. So the areas hit by the eyewall will be larger, but will also be under a diminished wind force.

Of course, this hurricane is a monster.

EDIT: for some perspective, think of why a tornado is more devastating: higher windspeed in a smaller diameter.

I will just snip a quote that explains it from another forum I frequent

ERC (eyewall replacement cycle) occurring in Irma this evening as shown via microwave imagery and in storm air recon (a large hurricane has to replace its inner eyewall every so many hours, change its batteries if you will, which typically halts any intensification and sometimes leads to temporary minor weakening, expands overall windfield out more, and once complete (multi-hour process) can restrenghten or hold current wind speed):

From what I read storms usually weaken a bit as they begin the eye wall replacement, then go back up. It's entirely possible it could become much worse post-replacement or it could weaken a bit as well. It still is on track to skill Cuba which will likely weaken it anyway, but that area between Cuba and So Florida is the warmest water in the world which means it likely will regain some power before hitting Florida.

Ask is again for a new page, is the evacuation going to be complete by the time the storm hits? What was Scott's rationale for ordering an evacuation despite knowing what happened in Rita? Is there a difference that makes an evacuation safer in Florida?

Just don't want to see the storm hit with hundreds of thousands stuck in their cars

WillyFive

Ask is again for a new page, is the evacuation going to be complete by the time the storm hits? What was Scott's rationale for ordering an evacuation despite knowing what happened in Rita? Is there a difference that makes an evacuation safer in Florida?

Just don't want to see the storm hit with hundreds of thousands stuck in their cars

It should have been ordered a day earlier, but it could be worse; some are waiting until the weekend to decide, which will be too late.

My country got off lucky it went further north, and even then there was a bunch of wind and rain. Stay real safe florida and turks and caicos gaf

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

It worries me, though.

People have believed the end times would be within their lifetimes since the time of those who were supposedly Jesus' own disciples.

I'm going to stock up on water and non-perishables this weekend in Pennsylvania. If that's really as big as it is I don't want to be left in the lurch if we lose power.

III-V

It worries me, though.

Not end times, homie, we are not that lucky. Just some more shit we have to live through.

Top Bottom