• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

qcf x2

With any glass you can put tape on it to prevent shards from flying. Additionally if you feel as though the door might blow open, you can put a rod (shower rod is most common) inbetween it and the frame to prevent it from opening.

I read that taping glass is bad because instead of shards you get flying daggers or something to that effect.

My family's in a forced evac, but can't leave for a few more hours (To get to Central FL). Not encouraging

Forced evac can mean that there's a shelter (or local friend with a secured home not in that evac zone) that will definitely take them in. Search for shelters in their county. Evacs are only from certain areas and in closer to the coasts. Even 10 miles can make the difference between evac'd and not.

I read that taping glass is bad because instead of shards you get flying daggers or something to that effect.

Yes. Winds don't break the glass it's the pressure change. You can look up stories about Andrew where people who stayed saw their glass doors and windows bow and shatter due to the pressure. Tape is also bad because it will act as a sail and get caught in the wind.

Neece

Yes. Winds don't break the glass it's the pressure change. You can look up stories about Andrew where people who stayed saw their glass doors and windows bow and shatter due to the pressure. Tape is also bad because it will act as a sail and get caught in the wind.

Best thing is to leave the window open, you will get water damage but it won't shatter unless struck.

Is this sound advice? I've been googling the last 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do with my sliding glass door and everything I've read so far says allowing wind in the house is the last thing you want, since it can lead to the roofs and walls collapsing.

So i have some options as to where i can hide out in the storm.

• Stay in my House built in 99', Took little to no Damage from any Storms since then.
  • Hunker Down in my dad's Apartment on the 3rd floor, it's the top floor but it was constructed last year.
Both pretty much have the same square footage and are technically not in flood zones, but my street flooded in 05' (I'm talking maybe 2 ft of water) so "Technically" it has a chance of flooding.

I'm leaning towards the apartment, but it would be nice to stay home.

Is this sound advice? I've been googling the last 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do with my sliding glass door and everything I've read so far says allowing wind in the house is the last thing you want, since it can lead to the roofs and walls collapsing.

It isn't.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hope my family does ok, it seems like they are planning to stay in the area (They are in Palm Beach County). They are about 8 miles inland on the east coast. One part around Boca Raton (West of 441), another part in the Lake Worth area (A bit east of the Turnpike).

Family has been though a number of storms and has been in the area for about 20 years, but this one could be a lot worse. Especially worried about my mother's home, there are some trees that have grown pretty large since the last batch of major storms storms, and haven't really been tested, plus the home hasn't aged amazingly.

qcf x2

So i have some options as to where i can hide out in the storm.

• Stay in my House built in 99', Took little to no Damage from any Storms since then.
  • Hunker Down in my dad's Apartment on the 3rd floor, it's the top floor but it was constructed last year.
Both pretty much have the same square footage and are technically not in flood zones, but my street flooded in 05' (I'm talking maybe 2 ft of water) so "Technically" it has a chance of flooding.

I'm leaning towards the apartment, but it would be nice to stay home.

I decided to stay, I know winds are unpredictable but the apartments are the most solidly built that I've ever lived in and it's not top floor so no concerns about the roof. Also there is a minimal amount of objects outside (no containers, gravel, etc). I'll be in the bathroom eating protein bars for about 8 hrs or so. That's all you need man, just make it through a day.

I decided to stay, I know winds are unpredictable but the apartments are the most solidly built that I've ever lived in and it's not top floor so no concerns about the roof. Also there is a minimal amount of objects outside (no containers, gravel, etc). I'll be in the bathroom eating protein bars for about 8 hrs or so. That's all you need man, just make it through a day.

That is true, in the Apps i have little to no chance of something crashing in (As long as it doesn't start flinging Barrels at me) Guess i should stay there then.

Valhelm

contribute something
Wasn't around for Andrew. How extreme do we expect the wind damage to be?

My walls and windows are sturdy as hell but I'm worried about trees crashing down or something happening to the roof.

Arken2121

I'm just curious since it looks like at worse we'll be getting the west wall of it which isn't nearly as bad as the NE wall unless this thing decides to shift more to the west.

I'm not saying to not be prepared or anything but it shouldn't be too terrible, I hope.

Edit: If it shifts more to the east, even better.

Reading around, it isn't. Edited my post.

Best bet then is to hope it's not on the windward side

Forced evac can mean that there's a shelter (or local friend with a secured home not in that evac zone) that will definitely take them in. Search for shelters in their county. Evacs are only from certain areas and in closer to the coasts. Even 10 miles can make the difference between evac'd and not.

Our dog would flip out if they tried to bring her to a shelter. They're gonna try to get to me in Central Florida even if it takes forever. Shelter is a clear last option thing at the moment.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I ordered these from amazon on Monday and they were suppose to arrive today, but ups has halted all service.

71kzz79v4PL._SL1500_.jpg

Home depot was out, and as I went to get a drink from the local kwik mart, I saw some lanterns in the back. They werent rechargebale, but hell, they will do. Tested them out and they work great. Talk about lucking out.

FOGcC34.jpg

sinkfla87

Why do we think this?

As someone else stated, things are built way better now so that's good. I guess I should have worded what I said a little better because what I meant was that currently this storm is stronger than Andrew and has remained a cat 5 for longer.

Edit: What Betty posted.

Something to keep in mind is that it is better to prepare for the worst rather than downplay the possibility of destruction. Just watch the news report. Several people didn't take it very seriously before it hit and we ended up with a lot of fatalities, injuries, and completely decimated buildings.

How are your pets doing? My feline is starting to freak out a little.

Things are built waaaaaay better now.
My cats are alright now, I'm expecting both of them to freak the fuck out once it hits. They were both hiding under beds during Wilma. Didn't see them at all while it was going on.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm in the exact same situation and this is a really important question. I'd like sound citations if possible.

I've lived through a tornado on my road, and we always had windows slightly raised for the pressure, but I don't know what to do with the hurricane wind for 12 hours.

FyreWulff

I'm in the exact same situation and this is a really important question. I'd like sound citations if possible.

I've lived through a tornado on my road, and we always had windows slightly raised for the pressure, but I don't know what to do with the hurricane wind for 12 hours.

the window pressure thing is also a myth for tornadoes

just stay away from windows

Blizzard

Banned
the window pressure thing is also a myth for tornadoes

just stay away from windows
What is the myth exactly? When the tornado hit, that was the one time we DIDN'T have a window slightly raised, and my mom started having her ears pop/hurt from the pressure until a branch went through a window, shot glass 20 feet down the hall, and the pressure went back to normal.

Do you have citations about the safest thing in both cases?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Big shout out and mad props to fellow GAFer Broggie Doge aka Night of da Creeps.

He's essential personnel in FL helping everyone get out safely and assisting with those that can't or are choosing to stay.

True hero homie!

giphy.gif

I live in a tornado alley (eastern edge of Hoosier Alley, represent! Woo!), and from what I've learned, here is my answer:

No, don't open the windows. Leave them closed.

Windows shatter in tornadoes not because of the wind or changes in pressure, but because debris gets flung at them at 100+ mph. Hurricanes are a bit different in that the winds are sustained so the wind pressure does have an effect on them, but opening your windows is not going to negate this pressure to any substantial degree.

Opening your windows in this kind of weather only allows that debris to get flung into your apartment, as well as let the winds in. That can turn everything you brought inside or have inside into projectiles as well. Instead of having to worry about small metal poles or lawn chairs getting punched into your exterior walls like they're knives ... you might actually have to worry about knives.

You're also letting the wind -- which is shaking your external supports for your walls and roof -- now start shaking any internal supports, too, which can lead more easily to a building failure.

I'll work on getting some more references to back this up, but here's a PDF from the Florida Building Commission talking about residential roofing and hurricanes. In it, they state:

The uncontrollable entry of wind into the building creates and internal pressure that, in conjunction with negative external pressures, can ”blow the building apart."

Keep in mind that wind-borne projectiles are a major factor in home damage and destruction during a hurricane. The penetration of the building envelope (through the loss of doors—primarily garage and glass—and windows) can allow the buildup of internal air pressure that acts to lift the roof and push out the side walls. Wind-borne debris (especially from roofing materials) can contribute to a significant portion of this damage. Flying debris from vegetation, other construction material, and utility equipment can also cause a lot of damage.

Essentially, by opening your windows, you're inviting those storm winds in to do what they want to, and they'll tear off your roof from the inside out.

kendrid

Banned
Silly question but I don't know Florida roads well. Wouldn't it be better at this point to take small roads north vs the highways which are packed and barely moving? Are all the roads blocked with traffic?

Edit: this is a theoretical question. I am wondering "what would I do if I lived there?"

Top Bottom