• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Pic from Barbuda
DJKCmfHWAAIbBBO.jpg

Completely selfish of me, but seeing the destruction is causing me to accelerate my building schedule. Don't want to get caught out for awhile with no sheet goods.

Blizzard

Banned
Why do ears hurt when a tornado is close then, even indoors?

*edit* Only the final forum seems to talk about tornados and it does say most but not all houses (though that's a random forum post).

Demoskinos

My family has been writing "end times" all over this. This, paired with the recent solar eclipse. Apparently, they signify that we are living in the final days or hours.

I don't want to believe it. I pointed out to them that we've had hurricanes like this before. And solar eclipses, and...yeah. They say it's all biblical. I don't know, I've never sat down and read through the bible. I do believe in God, but just can't accept that it's as close as they say.

It worries me, though.

That eclipse was predicted to happen exactly as it did years ago because math and its prime time hurricane season. All of that is nonsense.

Jigorath

Banned
A friend of mine told me she and her family were on their way out of Miami, but her husband didn't want to leave so they turned around and went back. They have a kid, and a puppy. They live near the beach. What the fuck...

border

I can still find AirBNBs in Pensacola. But what are the odds that the hurricane shifts west and clobbers Pensacola as well? Am I better off just staying in Jacksonville and hoping the storm weakens by the time it comes up the coast or up the middle of the state?

Lkr

Driving south on 95 with north being bumper to bumper in stretches was eerie. Also never seen I-4 so empty at any time of the day.

The end times are here though, it's too late to go to publix for dinner and this Wendy's drive thru is wrapped around the building like they're a chick fill a...

Plenty of hotels off I-4 in volusia county but I imagine that's too close to the coast for people evacuating to feel comfortable?

And thank you to the poster pointing out how asinine it is to evacuate and clog roads/shelters when you aren't in an evacuation zone. Yes the storm looks scary, no not everyone needs to leave

Why do ears hurt when a tornado is close then, even indoors?

*edit* Only the final forum seems to talk about tornados and it does say most but not all houses (though that's a random forum post).

Don't know what to tell you. I live and grew up in tornado alley and have never experienced this. Opening windows to was something my parents generation learned, but I've been told my whole life that is a myth and that's its incredibly dangerous to leave windows open. Leaving windows open stresses allows the force of the wind inside the house and you're more likely to get broken windows that way as that energy tries to escape.

Essentially, the opposite of what you want happens: http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/natural-disasters/open-windows-during-tornado.htm

Now, when this theory was actually put to the test? Researchers found it didn't hold up. Leaving windows open actually caused the force of the tornado to push up on the roof of the house, while the gusts of the twister lifted the roof. Open windows and doors, in other words, resulted in an airborne roof

Redmoon

So GAF, is it the right call(morally) for me to leave behind a family member, pets, and friend in my house who arent going anywhere(i've tried), just so I can go stay in a building/elevation that would give me a better sense of safety?

And if so, would staying a couple floors up at an Oceanside condo (its not right along the shore but about half a mile back) be safer than a house not much further inland (im a short walk west from US1 ala I feel we should've still evac'd since our area has apparently flooded in the past according to the neighbors).

Wanna say my mom is right on my "im overreacting" part, but I fell this is normal when your life is about to stare nature in the face.

Snaku

Banned
A friend of mine told me she and her family were on their way out of Miami, but her husband didn't want to leave so they turned around and went back. They have a kid, and a puppy. They live near the beach. What the fuck...

Kinda morbid to say, but if things keep going the way they're going....I'm sorry for your loss. :(

So GAF, is it the right call(morally) for me to leave behind a family member, pets, and friend in my house who arent going anywhere(i've tried), just so I can go stay in a building/elevation that would give me a better sense of safety?

And if so, would staying a couple floors up at an Oceanside condo (its not right along the shore but about half a mile back) be safer than a house not much further inland (im a short walk west from US1 ala I feel we should've still evac'd since our area has apparently flooded in the past according to the neighbors).

Wanna say my mom is right on my "im overreacting" part, but I fell this is normal when your life is about to stare nature in the face.

I told my mom she could hunker down at our house for all i care, but i'm going to my dad's apartment. At the end of the day, it's where i think would be the safest place for me at that time. Really feel bad about leaving her there with her husband and my 5 month old Sister, But i need to think about myself and not people who don't want to move.

Evo X

If you can't convince them, save yourself. No use in everyone going down with the sinking ship.

Animekatt

I wonder if Irma will finally be the one to take care of this building?
IEc8lZU.png

Stay safe Florida GAF. My family are all in the Daytona and Port Orange area, and I'm supposed to be flying in next week for a wedding. We'll see how all of that goes.

I really hate that ugly building.

My father and stepmother live in Port Orange, and are planning to stay home. I have an uncle right on the beachside of Daytona, and was boarding up his windows this afternoon.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Anyone know where this is - where all lanes are Northbound today?

This is from Hurricane Rita which caused people to panic around Huston but then wound up petering out.

This is why SPECIFICALLY the reversible lane plan is not being used in FL. However, it would work, imo, if they had national guard / police posted at every exit and actually planned the thing out. The shoulder plan is not going to work because there is a lot of debris on shoulders. There will be a lot of flat tires. Cars will be abandoned. It's only a fact of life that shoulders are where crappy debris wind up.

edit: more thoughts on the way they're handling traffic, what they need to do is implement pacer cars (police cars) to convoy the traffic. Watch this rather famous video about "traffic waves": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGFqfTCL2fs You need to have wbeaty's (YouTuber's name) / pacer cars to keep the traffic flowing nominally. Why they don't do this is beyond me.

Gov. Scott needs to implement the reversible lane plan but he doesn't have the gumption to do it. They don't want a Rita repeat. (Several people died during the Rita evacuation panic, a bus fire in particular.)

qcf x2

At this point I guess the best bet is to hope the hurricane makes landfall at the absolute southernmost part of the state and works its way up the evacuation zones so it's weakened by the time it hits the non-evacuation zones.

Also, the projected time of impact keeps changing... I just want it to happen already and hopefully during daylight. It's a lot easier to deal with such a thing when you're able to get rest.

This is from Hurricane Rita which caused people to panic around Huston but then wound up petering out.

This is why SPECIFICALLY the reversible lane plan is not being used in FL. However, it would work, imo, if they had national guard / police posted at every exit and actually planned the thing out. The shoulder plan is not going to work because there is a lot of debris on shoulders. There will be a lot of flat tires. Cars will be abandoned. It's only a fact of life that shoulders are where crappy debris wind up.

Gov. Scott needs to implement the reversible lane plan but he doesn't have the gumption to do it. They don't want a Rita repeat. (Several people died during the Rita evacuation panic, a bus fire in particular.)

Yeah, it seems easy just to say “make all lanes go one direction” - but I think the actual logistics of it are another story entirely..

Speaking of Houston, I'm arguing with someone on twatter that is insisting not evacuating Houston for Harvey was the wrong call and the order should have went out.

I'm like fucker, you would have killed tens of thousands of people. But he doesn't comprehend it.

At this point I guess the best bet is to hope the hurricane makes landfall at the absolute southernmost part of the state and works its way up the evacuation zones so it's weakened by the time it hits the non-evacuation zones.

Also, the projected time of impact keeps changing... I just want it to happen already and hopefully during daylight. It's a lot easier to deal with such a thing when you're able to get rest.

Im not sure time really matters. Andrew happened at 1 am and neither me nor my family slept for 48 hours after it ended. You just can't sleep with no power or water and the entire neighborhood is devastated.

edit: more thoughts on the way they're handling traffic, what they need to do is implement pacer cars (police cars) to convoy the traffic. Watch this rather famous video about "traffic waves": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGFqfTCL2fs You need to have wbeaty's (YouTuber's name) / pacer cars to keep the traffic flowing nominally. Why they don't do this is beyond me.

It's called contraflow just fyi, and it looks like parts of Georgia are about to implement it, specifically on I-16

As much as i hate saying this since i have family in Cuba, I really hope the Mountainous region of it just does as much work as possible on it, The weaker it gets before it slams into Florida the better.

Top Bottom