• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

brerwolfe

Has there been a hurricane in recent memory with such uncertainty in the path? The forecast is still "The eye could go almost anywhere in Florida, almost anywhere in Alabama, and anywhere in the entire state of Georgia. Good luck."
Charlie. They said it would make landfall in Tampa, so everyone in Tampa migrated to Orlando. Then when it landed south of Tampa and was headed straight for Orlando, the roads became severely clogged with people trying to head back.

The news does a terrible job at trying to minimize panic and promote patience.

III-V

Has there been a hurricane in recent memory with such uncertainty in the path? The forecast is still "The eye could go almost anywhere in Florida, almost anywhere in Alabama, and anywhere in the entire state of Georgia. Good luck."

Charlie. They said it would make landfall in Tampa, so everyone in Tampa migrated to Orlando. Then when it landed south of Tampa and was headed straight for Orlando, the roads became severely clogged with people trying to head back.

The news is terrible at trying to minimize panic and promote patience.

I remember this. I went from Tampa to Lakeland and got hit there. The reason for the difficulty in predicting these is due to the jet stream and the bermuda high, which happen each year, but are difficult to predict their intensity. So to answer your question, yes, it is nearly always like this.

The typical margin of error for a 5 day forecast is more than 200 miles, so more than the width of mist of the state of FL.

In Tampa so I didn't think it'd really affect us much but now I am legit concerned.
yup, both 5, 8, and 11 pm updates sent the forecast further west closer to us.

If I had zero scientific knowledge and my sample size was solely consistent of Harvey and Irma over the course of just 2 weeks, you could easily convince me that tropical cyclones were sentient and existed to maximize human suffering. Irma is the "hold my beer..." storm response to Harvey for something trying to make a name for itself.
Now for anyone else who wants to see Irma in her current horrifying glory, this has some amazing GOES 16 live footage:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso1-13-96-1-100
Woah, how did we live for decades without 30sec imagery?

Rixxan

Somehow missed that, my apologies. I thought you were in Miami, yes, I agree Orlando should be ok for a ride-out given a good structure at the moment.

No worries at all just wanted to let other people in south Florida, who are weighing the option to leave, know

This thread has been rather doom and gloom in many ways, people stuck on the turnpike for 12 hours etc

And maybe that's true / just wanted people to know I got out on 27 with no problems at all

VariantX

0907comp.thumb.jpg.81c826e5ad8d0a118faf1695a5d7d9c3.jpg

Well...Fuck.

Do we even need to track its trajectory at this point? Its like the size of fucking Texas. Everyone's getting fucked. Some more than others unfortunately...but damn.

Lkr

Thank you based Tom Terry. He doesn't let any hurricane season pass without reminding everyone he called it landing in Port Charlotte

Blizzard

Banned

Thanks everyone, I didn't remember entire states being covered so bad before.

And about your last sentence, even in the GAF hurricane threads I see people saying people in the path must get out at any cost, when the path potentially includes the whole state and getting out may be more dangerous for some people. :p

Tomorrow decides our plans as a family. Since the real deal will be hitting Saturday. Already stocked up on everything but thinking about staying with friends of the family since their house is sturdier.

sinkfla87

At work now. Absolute chaos. Bad news:

Hotels in a lot of parts of Alabama are telling us they are full now. Atmore, Mobile, and Birmingham are saying they have nothing available. All hotels in Pensacola including us are sold out as well.

Sunster

using this thread to rant.

I bought a Kobalt power drill from Lowes to board up my windows. I buy the thing for $100. Get home, unbox, no battery. The God damn $100 drill comes with no battery. You literally cannot use It after dropping $100. So I go back to fuck ass Lowes to get the battery. apparently there are 3 kinds, $10, $20, $50. Of course the only one in stock is the $50 battery. 25 minutes later I'm home again, kind of excited to test this $150 piece of machinery out.

the GOD DAMN MOTHER FUVKING BATTERY IS FUCKING DEADDDDDDDDDDDD
I NEED TO BUY A DHGNFGGFH BATTERY CHARGING PORT. WHY IS EACH FUCKING PIECE SOLD SEPPARATELY LIKE A FUCKING BIONICLE PLAY SET????

power tools are bullshit. I hope my window shatters and I get decapitated by a flying fence post.

Steel

Banned
using this thread to rant.

I bought a Kobalt power drill from Lowes to board up my windows. I buy the thing for $100. Get home, unbox, no battery. The God damn $100 drill comes with no battery. You literally cannot use It after dropping $100. So I go back to fuck ass Lowes to get the battery. apparently there are 3 kinds, $10, $20, $50. Of course the only one in stock is the $50 battery. 25 minutes later I'm home again, kind of excited to test this $150 piece of machinery out.

the GOD DAMN MOTHER FUVKING BATTERY IS FUCKING DEADDDDDDDDDDDD

I NEED TO BUY A DHGNFGGFH BATTERY CHARGING PORT

power tools are bullshit. I hope my window shatters and I get decapitated by a flying fence post.

I mean, I know this isn't what you want to do, but you can put in wood screws to a wall with a screwdriver. Just if you end up with no other option. Either case, hide in your closet. No windows.

In Tampa so I didn't think it'd really affect us much but now I am legit concerned.

Also in tampa. I'm up by USF, though, and in a concrete apartment. Staying put barring this next update being particularly damning.

If y'all peace it, go up the west coast I think.
Anyone else in St. Pete, Fl or near it? Think St. Pete will be affected heavily? Should I go to a shelter or try an drive up north?
I'd try to move inland/north if I were you, but it's so uncertain it's hard to say.

Steel

Banned
I haven't been following this too much, but is it the worst Hurricane to hit Florida in years
:(?

Yes. It's also the strongest hurricane ever to be in the Atlantic. Only fortunate thing is that it seems like it'll move through pretty fast and won't linger.

Sunster

I mean, I know this isn't what you want to do, but you can put in wood screws to a wall with a screwdriver. Just if you end up with no other option. Either case, hide in your closet. No windows.

no. I want to die now.
Anyone else in St. Pete, Fl or near it? Think St. Pete will be affected heavily? Should I go to a shelter or try an drive up north?

I live in St. Pete. Not going anywhere. Storm is heading to Jax so unless you live in a trailer I'd stay.

Holy shit!! maybe I'm late to the party but there's another fucking hurricane behind Irma!?!?! and it's a category 3?!?!? mother nature on some shit this year? it seems it won
t hit the states but might clip some of the islands already hit by Irma...

III-V

Holy shit!! maybe I'm late to the party but there's another fucking hurricane behind Irma!?!?! and it's a category 3?!?!? mother nature on some shit this year? it seems it won

yup, Jose, but we are focused on impending Irmageddon, so Jose gets no respect right now.

But yes, cat 3 right on Irmas tailwinds.

I think the path on that has it curving up real early.

it's tracked to head north, i don't think florida needs to be concerned based on what i can find.

2MF

no. I want to die now.

I live in St. Pete. Not going anywhere. Storm is heading to Jax so unless you live in a trailer I'd stay.

Storm could still deviate from track.

People should be looking at official local authority forecasts, not a guy on a forum who literally says he wants to die.

mo60

It's going to be moving around the central atlantic early next week.It may annoy florida and the SE US in the long range forecast.

sinkfla87

If you have a reservation at a Hilton Hotel anywhere within the projected track and you need to cancel, they HAVE to let you cancel. Hilton corporate sent out an email saying that it is illegal to charge cancellation fees for those affected by the storm. If a hotel tries to charge you for cancelling, report them.

Steel

Banned
so i live in the far panhandle. around destin. Should i be ok?

If you're not OK in the panhandle, everyone in florida is dead. But, seriously, you may get a little wind and rain but it'd have fallen off to a cat one by the time it gets anywhere close to you and you're unlikely to get the eye anyway.

Top Bottom