• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

It's called contraflow just fyi, and it looks like parts of Georgia are about to implement it, specifically on I-16

I-16 is a different world than trying to do it on something like 75 in Florida. You can do it on 16 because there's so few exits because no one wants to go see bumfuck Georgia.

Man i live in lakeland, and it looks like it come straight to me. My parents is dead-on want to bunker down and stay, but i want to leave... dont know what to do.

New eyewall beginning to show on IR
IMG_0019.JPG.5b696f18d8e0fb5037ff52f75094db3f.JPG

The Stealth Fox

I'm in Gainesville and there's this huge oak tree in front of my two story concrete town home. Am I screwed?

What category is the storm going to be by the time it gets to north central florida?

Rixxan

So I left my house in Weston at 7:30

Its 11:30 and I'm standing at the concierge in Orlando getting ready to check to my room

South Florida bros

Take 27

Didn't hit any traffic - plenty of gas

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Yeah, it seems easy just to say “make all lanes go one direction” - but I think the actual logistics of it are another story entirely..

Oh I agree, logistical nightmare. Just suggesting it would probably make the guys in the room groan and lose their shit. But if you called in a dozen or so traffic planners and made the plan happen it could work. But, for some reason, and I'm going to make it political here, Republicans for some reason don't get as much heat when they take little risk and fuck up. Democrats that take risks and succeed get more blowback than Republicans who take almost no risk and fuck up.

Looking at that picture of Rita, I just know those cars on the side of the road hit some debris on the shoulder. Cause they were driving where you're just not supposed to drive. This is going to suck for a lot of people who just don't know that heavy traffic keeps roads "clean" by their nature and shoulders don't get heavy "traffic." 10k cars a day will soak up every nut and bolt that winds up out there and someone at least once a day, probably more, will have to call AAA or change a flat or w/e. Now put 1k cars a day on the shoulder which is a dirty mess.

At least send a fleet of street sweepers out first.

never nervous

Neo Member
This storm has me so worried, my family in South Florida planned on leaving tomorrow but I fear it's going to be hard. I drove from Fort. Lauderdale to Orlando yesterday and it took me 5 hours and I'm sure it's only going to be worse as we get closer to landfall.

Redmoon

I told my mom she could hunker down at our house for all i care, but i'm going to my dad's apartment. At the end of the day, it's where i think would be the safest place for me at that time. Really feel bad about leaving her there with her husband and my 5 month old Sister, But i need to think about myself and not people who don't want to move.

If you can't convince them, save yourself. No use in everyone going down with the sinking ship.

Alright. Just gotta figure out a way to get there then tomorrow. Assuming I can.

Zackat

Welp after putting up plywood and shutters all afternoon/evening I am fuckin pooped. Gotta wake up for work in a couple hours and I'm not even sleeping yet.

Hurricanes suck.

Has a major storm ever greatly damaged the Orlando/Disney area? I've never heard it of it happening myself(this means nothing), and I'm wondering if the possibility is greater than usual or if I just don't understand how the storms operate.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Has a major storm ever greatly damaged the Orlando/Disney area? I've never heard it of it happening myself(this means nothing), and I'm wondering if the possibility is greater than usual or if I just don't understand how the storms operate.

Charlie definitely did some damage. Can't really remember most of the other hurricanes doing too much though, aside from power outages and some flooding.

Not to my knowledge and I'm a native of central florida.

This will be the first time in my lifetime if Irma currently stays on track.

Edit: I forgot Charlie but in comparison to Irma, Irma is going to be far worse.

border

They would weaken pretty significantly by the time they get to Orlando. The city is like 100+ miles from all coasts, and most hurricanes peter out once they make landfall.

I feel like this is all slow motion cluster fuck, with an impending Cthulhu character about to swallow me whole. In fact, the fact I've got to drive directly towards this bullshit seems a bit stupid, in the grand scheme of things.

At least the Publix is scheduled to be open tomorrow.

Scan_6_Page_1.jpg

III-V

With current path, prepare for cat 3, expect a cat 2.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
They would weaken pretty significantly by the time they get to Orlando. The city is like 100+ miles from all coasts, and most hurricanes peter out once they make landfall.

This guy says "not quite Cat 2 but a very high Cat 1": http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-20170907-story.html

Definitely going to be a hurricane still when it hits Orlando. It really depends on whether it hits as a 5 or a 4. If it hits as a 5 I think that even Orlando is in for a trip. Can't forget about the tornadoes these things spawn.

brerwolfe

I went to Publix today and isle after isle was empty, can't remember ever seeing anything like it. People hoarding up like crazy.
My Publix in Clermont wasn't any busier at 5p today than lunchtime on a weekend. They were out of baked beans and most fruit cups, but otherwise it was a normal shipping experience. Even bought an 8-piece chicken meal with some mac & cheese and potato wedges. Lines were short around the entire store.

III-V

I've lived in miami for 30 years - went through Andrew in Kendal - Ill sleep through a CAT 3 and the timeshare I'm staying in is exellent construction

Its a CAT5 in my house that scares me - got a newborn girl

time to make that difficult choice. GTFO

EDIT: with the current gas shortages and gridlock, it may be too late.

My mom and dad refuse to leave Kendall. They really have no reason to stay; the house is shuttered up. They've been through Andrew too, so it's not like they're being naive. They're just extremely stubborn.

A path like this seems like the best case scenario for them because it would mean they miss the northeast side of the hurricane.

I wonder how much sleep I'll be able to get... I've been having anxiety over the past few days because I'm so worried about my family.

Rixxan

time to make that difficult choice. GTFO

EDIT: with the current gas shortages and gridlock, it may be too late.

See my post above man - I made it out with ease taking 27 - no traffic and plenty of gas - this was four hours ago

My point was that I'm very comfortable riding this out in Orlando - even at a cat 3

Blizzard

Banned
Has there been a hurricane in recent memory with such uncertainty in the path? The forecast is still "The eye could go almost anywhere in Florida, almost anywhere in Alabama, and anywhere in the entire state of Georgia. Good luck."

Has there been a hurricane in recent memory with such uncertainty in the path? The forecast is still "The eye could go almost anywhere in Florida, almost anywhere in Alabama, and anywhere in the entire state of Georgia. Good luck."

Umm all of them 3-days out??? This cone isn't that abnormal. Plus a few of the models have been pretty damn accurate for the life of this storm. ECWF will have its next run in 2 hours or so, and if the trend holds, will be accurate within 50 miles or so 48 hours out. Which is nothing when the eye may almost be that large...

III-V

See my post above man - I made it out with ease taking 27 - no traffic and plenty of gas - this was four hours ago

My point was that I'm very comfortable riding this out in Orlando - even at a cat 3
Somehow missed that, my apologies. I thought you were in Miami, yes, I agree Orlando should be ok for a ride-out given a good structure at the moment.

Top Bottom