• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

And I must inform those evacuating now once again:
There is NO VACANCY at hotels in Pensacola, Mobile, Atmore, or Birmingham. If I hear of any place having rooms I will make a new post informing other Gaffers.
Holy shit,
I live 5-10 minutes outside of Birmingham and it doesn't seem to be that bad here(3 main local hotels are dead atm) yet I checked availability and yup rooms start dropping off tonight and are absolutely gone from Saturday onwards.

Number_6

using this thread to rant.

I bought a Kobalt power drill from Lowes to board up my windows. I buy the thing for $100. Get home, unbox, no battery. The God damn $100 drill comes with no battery. You literally cannot use It after dropping $100. So I go back to fuck ass Lowes to get the battery. apparently there are 3 kinds, $10, $20, $50. Of course the only one in stock is the $50 battery. 25 minutes later I'm home again, kind of excited to test this $150 piece of machinery out.

the GOD DAMN MOTHER FUVKING BATTERY IS FUCKING DEADDDDDDDDDDDD
I NEED TO BUY A DHGNFGGFH BATTERY CHARGING PORT. WHY IS EACH FUCKING PIECE SOLD SEPPARATELY LIKE A FUCKING BIONICLE PLAY SET????

power tools are bullshit. I hope my window shatters and I get decapitated by a flying fence post.

This is why I don't fuck with batteries. Corded, 100%. That battery, once charged, probably doesn't last through one board. Like, okay, maybe this time. But in a year or two, it's trash.

mid83

My folks and two of my sisters are staying in West Palm Beach.

My mother has to work and at her nursing home...literally across the street from the beach, and my dad is working in a hospital and has taken my sisters with him.

Gaf, I am not feeling well.

If the nursing home is in a storm surge area, they should be evacuating residents rather than having staff come in to work during the storm.

Anarion07

People in Barbuda seem to be optimistic, which is a great thing.

https://www.barbudanorthbeach.com/

"North Beach is closed for renovations and will reopen on the 15th October 2017"

I figure all the cottages are completely obliterated.

(Except that renovation notice was there before, but webarchive didn't show it in July, at least)

Tampa here..Still going to wait it out. Might pick up some plywood first thing tomorrow morning for our two biggest windows in the new house. A lot people in mobile homes have been clearing out which is good, I’m less concerned about our concrete block house. I’m assuming we’re going to get hit, but if it does come up the middle of the state it will be a lot weaker since she doesn’t have warm sea water to feed her like she does now dead in the middle of the ocean. GF had to put ethonol free gas in her tank at wawa, they put a sign out telling people it can be used. The Circle K off Hillsborough was a zoo, when people saw the gas truck filing up the reservoirs Tampa PD was even out there trying to fill up. Apparently the pumps weren’t working, so they had to clear out the property for someone to come look at it. Stay safe people. Makes me feel better to actually post on here with updates for some reason.

MartyStu

If the nursing home is in a storm surge area, they should be evacuating residents rather than having staff come in to work during the storm.

My thoughts as well.

I am calling them tomorrow.

If I do not like what I hear, I may advise my mother accordingly.

Any projection on how long it'll take for Broward cell towers to go back up? I'd imagine how long it takes to rebuild a tower is a bit more fixed than fixing an entire power grid.. Communication with friends in family during the aftermath is my top concern.

IrishNinja

national hurricane center was crazy today, but not as crazy as my poor dog & cats have been acting

looks like I'm working through the storm, stay safe y'all

Blizzard

Banned
national hurricane center was crazy today, but not as crazy as my poor dog & cats have been acting

looks like I'm working through the storm, stay safe y'all
How long ahead of a storm can dogs and cats sense it? I was wondering earlier today how they do it. I assume it has to be related to barometric pressure?

zulux21

Probably a stupid question, I'm from Europe, but are there no trains in Florida?

The US as a whole has a pretty poor public transport system.
Trains are only really a thing for passangers in select areas.

I'm seeing 5 total train stations in all of wisconsin (where I live). almost all are in the southern part where madison and milwaukee are

https://www.amtrak.com/find-train-bus-stations-train-routes can kind of give you an idea of how train routes are in the US.

3pWY8Z4.png
are the train stations i see in florida

I mean part of it is just that the US is that big. there is a lot of land mass with very little population at spots.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
No significant change (edit: in pathing) to NHC Forecast for 5AM
edit: change in movement speed.

giphy.gif

IrishNinja

How long ahead of a storm can dogs and cats sense it? I was wondering earlier today how they do it. I assume it has to be related to barometric pressure?

that's my understanding yeah...and all 3 of mine picked it up early Thursday and were not due to he hit till early Sunday, so that's something

Is it slowing down? The points are not at the same location but it went from 8pm Sunday to 2am Monday

I think because it's taking a wider turn by going a bit more south. Initially the models had an earlier turn to stay off the east coast. Now we're looking at right up the middle of Florida.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
No, that's a huge change. It's gonna be near miami for almost a whole day instead of zooming past like previously.

I missed that, which is why i'm going to try to get some sleep. I edited my post.

cntr

Banned
It's a Category 4 only by 5 mph, and it'll restrengthen when it hits warm water over the Bahamas. It's more like Category 4.9 right now.

Smidget

Blah the movement more west and west is not good for me in East Orlando :/ Looks like the winds "slow" by the time it reaches me but tornadoes scare me the most :(

Looks like Irma still has some track and intensity surprises possibly in store, as expected. Dont doubt her, and man...her area of coverage truly is expanding!!

Blizzard

Banned
So it's now going to hit Florida head on instead of going along one side?

Ouch... :/
As scary as this is, which means it might go through Orlando, I feel like this is actually good news for anyone in central or north Florida, or anyone trying to evacuate. The wind speed might be down to a much more manageable cat 3 or something by the time it gets to central Florida.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
I'm not very good to read those satellites images, if you live in miami you're fucked? I have a friend who lives there with his family and i been telling him to leave but he says is not that bad.

I'm not very good to read those satellites images, if you live in miami you're fucked? I have a friend who lives there with his family and i been telling him to leave but he says is not that bad.
What I can tell you is that if Irma hits anywhere near its current intensity and with the modeled path, floridians views of the power and danger of hurricanes will, once again, be changed forever. Whether the worst is Miami or some other city or town, someone is likely to be caught off guard and it will be potentially terrifying to them.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
What I can tell you is that if Irma hits anywhere near its current intensity and with the modeled path, floridians views of the power and danger of hurricanes will, once again, be changed forever. Whether the worst is Miami or some other city or town, someone is likely to be caught off guard and it will be potentially terrifying to them.
wow, i hope everyone who decides to ride it out stays safe.

My folks called me last night, they spent 6 hours yesterday putting up storm shudders for neighbors. They were completely exhausted. They had to do the neighbor unit above theirs so they wouldn't get rain damage in the event their windows broke.

They said they are watching and are prepared to ride it out.

sinkfla87

Wouldn'T tomorrow be way, way too late for evacuating?

With the way the traffic is and how soon this is going to hit Florida, I would say yes :(. People coming here in the panhandle have said that it took them about 7-8 hours longer to drive here than normal and that it was a nightmare getting through. I'm getting a lot of calls from people who haven't left that are now scared and wanting to leave but every hotel within 250 miles is booked.

Top Bottom