• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

lightus

Guys if you are on the road please be safe. I'm in Gainesville and driving around town at nearly 2am and the traffic in some areas makes it look like 5pm.

Also if you need gas it's worth a try here. It'll be crowded but I saw 5 stations open with gas on my trip from Newberry road to Archer (I live here, was driving home from a friend's house).

Also also, the Waffle House right off the exit at Newberry road reportedly isn't closing at all for the hurricane. If you can't find anywhere to stop and eat as the hurricane approaches that should be an option at least.

2AM advisory drops the intensity slightly, to 160 MPH. Pressure at 925 mb.

ZCZC MIATCPAT1 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

BULLETIN
Hurricane Irma Intermediate Advisory Number 36A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
200 AM EDT Fri Sep 08 2017

...EYE OF IRMA PASSING JUST NORTH OF GREAT INAGUA ISLAND...

SUMMARY OF 200 AM EDT...0600 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...21.5N 73.3W
ABOUT 20 MI...30 KM N OF GREAT INAGUA ISLAND
ABOUT 535 MI...860 KM ESE OF MIAMI FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...160 MPH...260 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 290 DEGREES AT 16 MPH...26 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...925 MB...27.31 INCHES

EBreda

You guys think the Bayside area in Miami is completely and utterly fucked? It's gonna be down in rubles won't it? I mean, it's gonna be like that Barbados pic posted earlier, right?

And what about all the boats and ships on that pier?! Gone, right? I mean, completely and absolutely gone? American Airlines arena, Hard Rock Cafe, all gone, right?

Ballistik

^ Similar thought

I was wondering, those skyscrapers in downtown Miami.. if the hurricane eyewall were to pass right over them, what would happen? Just glass shattering everywhere, are they built to withstand worst case scenarios in regards to wind speed?

Sunster

You guys think the Bayside area in Miami is completely and utterly fucked? It's gonna be down in rubles won't it? I mean, it's gonna be like that Barbados pic posted earlier, right?

And what about all the boats and ships on that pier?! Gone, right? I mean, completely and absolutely gone? American Airlines arena, Hard Rock Cafe, all gone, right?

Miami is getting bulldozed by the looks of it.

^ Similar thought

I was wondering, those skyscrapers in downtown Miami.. if the hurricane eyewall were to pass right over them, what would happen? Just glass shattering everywhere, are they built to withstand worst case scenarios in regards to wind speed?

they are built to withstand hurricanes. it's those hotels and residential towers that are literally built on the sand I'm worried about

^ Similar thought

Apparently, they have some of the highest standards for glass around. A weather channel update I saw tonight said the glass is even stronger than its framing. Still, they recommended to treat it like a tornado and stay in interior sections, well away from windows if you happen to be riding this one out.

sense

Last minute flight from tampa to New York booked for Friday afternoon for just 100 bucks. Had to keep refreshing Southwest Airlines website but finally got it with confirmation. Thanks to whoever cancelled I guess. I encourage others to keep trying if you are on the lookout.

Sh0k

I'm here in Miami and almost done preping my house, I wonder what's the safest room in my house in case all goes to shit? Should I go sleep inside my car in the garage or should I stay in the laundry room that is between the grarage and the kitchen?

sinkfla87

The audacity of some people. I'm here trying to help a family find a room while some douchebag who clogged his toilet was mad that a plunger was dropped off but not plunged for him as my coworker had to run to help some old people (evacuees) get their belongings out of a van. Sorry I'm most bitching now lol. I will say most people are being very understanding and helping each other out which is a great thing to see.

And I must inform those evacuating now once again:
There is NO VACANCY at hotels in Pensacola, Mobile, Atmore, or Birmingham. If I hear of any place having rooms I will make a new post informing other Gaffers.

I'm here in Miami and almost done preping my house, I wonder what's the safest room in my house in case all goes to shit? Should I go sleep inside my car in the garage or should I stay in the laundry room that is between the grarage and the kitchen?

The most interior room you can be in, away from exterior walls and windows.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Depends on how old your garage door is.
During Charley we parked a suv against the garage door to help brace it, and it bent around the suv.

You should put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

Go to a shelter or evac point if your in its path!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

A modern (post Andrew) structure should be fine, but it won't help you with storm surge, so don't ignore mandatory evac notices.

Sh0k

The most interior room you can be in, away from exterior walls and windows.

Depends on how old your garage door is.
During Charley we parked a suv against the garage door to help brace it, and it bent around the suv.

House is around 15 years old, built after Hurricane Andrew so new building codes are in place (pretty sure that there is going to be new building codes based on Irma after this shit passes by); can't move much though, wife is going through chemotheraphy right now and she has no energy to move around too much, worst case scenario, we'll go to a friends house, at least I have somebody else to help me in case all goes to shit. I leave inland, so no mandatory evacuation for my area, at least not yet.

Suikoguy

House is around 15 years old, built after Hurricane Andrew so new building codes are in place (pretty sure that there is going to be new building codes based on Irma after this shit passes by); can't move much though, wife is going through chemotheraphy right now and she has no energy to move around too much, worst case scenario, we'll go to a friends house, at least I have somebody else to help me in case all goes to shit. I leave inland, so no mandatory evacuation for my area, at least not yet.

You need to verify your local storm surge map before deciding to stay, and I'd also suggest not staying if you don't have shutters of some kind.

Sh0k

You need to verify your local storm surge map before deciding to stay, and I'd also suggest not staying if you don't have shutters of some kind.

I do have shutters and they are all up right now, hopefully they are enough. Anybody has a link to verify the surge map, can't find much in the miamidade.gov website.

Edit:

Found the storm surge website,

http://www.miamidade.gov/fire/planning-zones.asp

I'm in zone D, greatest risk for storm surge from Cat 4 or higher .... shit :(

Hard Rock stadium (Joe Robbie/Dolphins) was renovated and it's built to withstand a cat 3 maybe 4. Uh oh...

Euro @ hr 60
display

Apparently, they have some of the highest standards for glass around. A weather channel update I saw tonight said the glass is even stronger than its framing. Still, they recommended to treat it like a tornado and stay in interior sections, well away from windows if you happen to be riding this one out.

Yeah they were saying it is made to take the biggest hits around however they were advising not being near them as sustained major hits could eventually break them.

Feep

Banned
My mother is oddly insistent on staying where she is. She's ten minutes from the beach in East Boca Raton. Her home is slightly elevated, but not much, and she has hurricane windows rated for 150 mph. I have been attempting to get her to leave; she seems bizarrely naive, "everything'll be fine, you're overreacting".

People who have been tracking this better, how much is this hurricane going to fuck Boca Raton up? Are there any good arguments I can use to get her to go somewhere else?

zulux21

My mother is oddly insistent on staying where she is. She's ten minutes from the beach in East Boca Raton. Her home is slightly elevated, but not much, and she has hurricane windows rated for 150 mph. I have been attempting to get her to leave; she seems bizarrely naive, "everything'll be fine, you're overreacting".

People who have been tracking this better, how much is this hurricane going to fuck Boca Raton up? Are there any good arguments I can use to get her to go somewhere else?

*looks up where Boca Raton is*
*points to image a few posts ago*

it's gonna hit it hard. others would know better than me, but I believe it is mentioned it could still hit miami as a cat 5 if it strengthens again which is possible.

Boca doesn't seem that far from miami so yeah....

Is it my imagination or is that ever so slightly further west than the 12z from yesterday?

im pretty sure it's a bit more west.

that's my family. I've honestly never been more disappointed in them.

If she's 5 minutes from the beach you can answer that question yourself. aka, pretty fucked up based on what we know right now.

zulux21

that's my family. I've honestly never been more disappointed in them.

If she's 5 minutes from the beach you can answer that question yourself. aka, pretty fucked up based on what we know right now.

yeah my friend's parents were like that back on monday. now that it's getting closer and more confirmed hopefully they came to their senses

massoluk

Banned

That is illogical, even if the hurricane doesn't blow the house away, there will be flood, power outage, ruined infrastructure. It may not destroy her life, but the disruption and inconveniences are one to be avoided.

Yeah definitely get out while you can. It's always better to be safe than sorry.
Well the chance i suffer personal harm is very low. Just ned to decide if i'd rather risk getting caught in the evacuation routes or without power for a week or two. If i'm honest, the latter appeals far more.
How's Orlando looking guys? Got a friend out there who's on his honeymoon!
only the panhandle seems to be avoiding this one, so not great. If they're preparing appropriately and in a well built hotel or shelter, they'll get through, but I cant imagine it'll make for a fun vacation.

Feep

Banned
That is illogical, even if the hurricane doesn't blow the house away, there will be flood, power outage, ruined infrastructure. It may not destroy her life, but the disruption and inconveniences are one to be avoided.
Where could she go, though? Looks like the whole state is gonna be fucked...plane tickets are basically out of the question, at this point...

Well the chance i suffer personal harm is very low. Just ned to decide if i'd rather risk getting caught in the evacuation routes or without power for a week or two. If i'm honest, the latter appeals far more.
only the panhandle seems to be avoiding this one, so not great. If they're preparing appropriately and in a well built hotel or shelter, they'll get through, but I cant imagine it'll make for a fun vacation.

Thought as much. I think they're in a fairly fancy hotel so should be fine, but as someone from the UK who I don't think has ever witnessed anything like a hurricane, he's going to be in for a rude awakening. Stay safe USGAF.

Where could she go, though? Looks like the whole state is gonna be fucked...plane tickets are basically out of the question, at this point...

if she can drive or knows someone who can, going to central or north florida in a place that's relatively inland will be a vast improvement.

No worries at all just wanted to let other people in south Florida, who are weighing the option to leave, know

This thread has been rather doom and gloom in many ways, people stuck on the turnpike for 12 hours etc

And maybe that's true / just wanted people to know I got out on 27 with no problems at all

Sorry, but I want to be clear, 27 all the way up into Georgia and elsewhere? Not much traffic? Granted that's probably about to change.

MartyStu

My folks and two of my sisters are staying in West Palm Beach.

My mother has to work and at her nursing home...literally across the street from the beach, and my dad is working in a hospital and has taken my sisters with him.

Gaf, I am not feeling well.

BahamutX83

Neo Member
Just a friendly reminder to anyone evacuating westward to/through the panhandle:

US90 interweaves with I10 almost coast to coast and should provide a less cluttered route. Yes you'll drive through several rural towns but you should see little to no traffic other than places like Tallahassee and Pensacola.

Top Bottom