• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

CoolOff

Katia, Irma, and Jose

LDEu7Dn.gif

http://i.imgur.com/k1FH1mR.mp4

ok this MFer is now tracking all the way up to Atlanta? Damn man.
My parents just called and asked if I had supplies. Like, holy shit. It may still be a tropical storm/depression over metro Atlanta...
Been here 18 years and I've never seen anything remotely like this.

Latest aircraft shows it's still weakening at a fairly steady rate. Not that this is a particularly easy ask of people to not think about, but we're not going to have a good gauge on the end of the eyewall replacement cycle and a possible new track after it's wobbled farther left for probably 6 hours. It's just more waiting until then, and with slightly more uncertainty now!

Ryuuroden

using this thread to rant.

I bought a Kobalt power drill from Lowes to board up my windows. I buy the thing for $100. Get home, unbox, no battery. The God damn $100 drill comes with no battery. You literally cannot use It after dropping $100. So I go back to fuck ass Lowes to get the battery. apparently there are 3 kinds, $10, $20, $50. Of course the only one in stock is the $50 battery. 25 minutes later I'm home again, kind of excited to test this $150 piece of machinery out.

the GOD DAMN MOTHER FUVKING BATTERY IS FUCKING DEADDDDDDDDDDDD
I NEED TO BUY A DHGNFGGFH BATTERY CHARGING PORT. WHY IS EACH FUCKING PIECE SOLD SEPPARATELY LIKE A FUCKING BIONICLE PLAY SET????

power tools are bullshit. I hope my window shatters and I get decapitated by a flying fence post.

You should of bought a Makita... (Cabinet company owner here)

brerwolfe

What did Florida do to irma
You know how after some attack there's a terrorist organization that takes credit? After seeing the three hurricanes and hearing about the Mexican earthquake last night I'm expecting Kim Jong Un to come out like a bond villain and take claim to being able to harness and control natural disasters.

My wife seems pretty deadset on evacuating. We're outside of Orlando. We haven't made up our mind yet. We'd leave tomorrow morning at 5am ish

Lkr

So update from east Orlando:
Only four houses in my neighborhood are boarded up so far. Normal crowd at the gym this morning, seems like everyone I know is riding it out.
Local news is in full "all of your property and possessions can be replaced" mode. Storm surge kills and we are inland, I feel safe with that mindset. I do need to get more food though

MXRider

So update from east Orlando:
Only four houses in my neighborhood are boarded up so far. Normal crowd at the gym this morning, seems like everyone I know is riding it out.
Local news is in full "all of your property and possessions can be replaced" mode. Storm surge kills and we are inland, I feel safe with that mindset. I do need to get more food though
Reid, were screwed.

My wife seems pretty deadset on evacuating. We're outside of Orlando. We haven't made up our mind yet. We'd leave tomorrow morning at 5am ish

My wife told me the people leaving St. Pete under the mandatory evacuation made it 60 miles in 9 hours and then just turned around. Fun times.

We're in Tampa and most likely staying.

EBreda

My cousin just landed in Miami for vacation along with his wife and 2 kids. They plan on driving a rental to Orlando like right now.

How screwed are they? Are we looking at a 10 hour drive? You think rental companies are allowing that? I mean, driving straight to a Cat5 area? Is it to late to drive there?!

My sister in Miami is riding this one out. Just had all windows and frames replaced and is sitting just outside a flood zone near the airport. She's staying at a hotel in Miami Springs anyway but a friend of hers is staying at her house in Virginia Gardens.

I'm amazed AA authorized a flight from Sao Paulo to Miami in this scenario really. How many more tourists are landing in Miami with no idea about what to do?!

My nerves are getting wrecked over here...

... why did they fly right into a hurricane? do they think they can speak to the hurricane's manager about keeping their vacation?

I'm as dumbfucked as you. Maybe thinking it's not that bad? It's not like Brazilian news are doing live updates on this monster's path anyway.

What I can tell is there's still a lot of flights landing in Miami and Orlando from abroad.

FyreWulff

My cousin just landed in Miami for vacation along with his wife and 2 kids. They plan on driving a rental to Orlando like right now.

How screwed are they? Are we looking at a 10 hour drive? You think rental companies are allowing that? I mean, driving straight to a Cat5 area? Is it to late to drive there?!

My sister in Miami is riding this one out. Just had all windows and frames replaced and is sitting just outside a flood zone near the airport. She's staying at a hotel in Miami Springs anyway but a friend of hers is staying at her house in Virginia Gardens.

I'm amazed AA authorized a flight from Sao Paulo to Miami in this scenario really. How many more tourists are landing in Miami with no idea about what to do?!

... why did they fly right into a hurricane? do they think they can speak to the hurricane's manager about keeping their vacation?

ok this MFer is now tracking all the way up to Atlanta? Damn man.
My parents just called and asked if I had supplies. Like, holy shit. It may still be a tropical storm/depression over metro Atlanta...
Been here 18 years and I've never seen anything remotely like this.

It's happened before, 1995. I was a freshman in college at Georgia Tech. It was actually worse than what's projected this time because that time it came in through the panhandle so it had less time to weaken over land. We got 70 mph winds. This was Opal.

gdt

Damn. Bad move. They are gonna have a hellish couple of days.

Linkura

Finally heard from the folks in PSL... they are staying. Again, just like with Matthew. With 6 children and an elderly person.

I really fucking hate my family sometimes. Pretty much all of them disappoint me in the worst ways at some point.

tkcvRn.gif

We're all fucked

D23

...whhhyyyyyyyyyyyyy??????????

Made my final decision to stay in NE tampa. the cone is still horrifying but I just can't fathom not staying at this point. Down to a cat 4, at least, so maybe I won't be as spooked by the sensationalist headlines from here on. One can hope.
So this western tilt might actually be even worse for South Florida right? We're going to get all the worst wind.
Anyone on the east side of the eye is boned, as best as i can tell.

Linkura

I'm as dumbfucked as you. Maybe thinking it's not that bad? It's not like Brazilian news are doing live updates on this monster's path anyway.

What I can tell is there's still a lot of flights landing in Miami and Orlando from abroad.
What the actual fuck.

This thread is so telling if human nature and worrysome when it comes to global warming. Massive catastrophe coming? Wait until the last second, fly into the zone, "oh maybe I shouldn't have."

That’s not a vacation. Traveling to Orlando will lessen the chance of being flooded, but supplies are dried up while all roads north are jammed.

TyrantII

Bruh...

First thing anyone does on vacation is check the 10 day forecast. Fuck I was off work on staycation last week and checked the weather daily.

That’s not a vacation. Traveling to Orlando will lessen the chance of being flooded, but supplies are dried up while all roads north are jammed.

Pretty much lol, if there is one family that will be miserable and shit out of luck, it would be that guys cousin.

I'm sorry man, but that was a really brain dead stupid idea to fly INTO Florida.

Lkr

Reid, were screwed.
Nice to see a familiar face, are you still living in Orlando?

Just got done at Walmart I went a little hard on the junk food stock up but you never know. Now to top off my tank

There were still hotels east of Orlando off I-4 last night fwiw.

Final edit: were gas prices frozen? It's been $2.69 everywhere the past few days

Kusagari

Do they have a hotel booked? Because if not they're driving up there with no way of getting lodging.

Jetman

One of my best friends in Tampa isn't scared of this thing at all. Says it'll just be a CAT 2 or 3 by the time it gets to them. I guess she's right, but still wish she'd get the fuck out of there in case of flooding and prolonged power outages.

Lkr

One of my best friends in Tampa isn't scared of this thing at all. Says it'll just be a CAT 2 or 3 by the time it gets to them. I guess she's right, but still wish she'd get the fuck out of there in case of flooding and prolonged power outages.
One of my roommates is leaving Orlando to ride it out in Tampa. #floridaculture

Fwiw still plenty of gas available by ucf. No lines either

Top Bottom